Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am curious to hear why you all carry and if any particular event caused you to begin carrying, or if it was just a decision you made out of the blue.

I'll quickly share what changed my opinion on guns and ultimately my recent decision to actually start carrying.

A family friend of ours had two large black men busted open their front door and held the couple at gunpoint. They tied the husband up and raped the wife in front of the husband and forced him to watch. I was only a kid at the time, maybe 14 years old, and up until then had been anti-gun.

I thought about this incident for days. I was pretty traumatized hearing the story and trying to make sense of it. How could this be stopped? Prevented? Can you prevent such evil things from happening? If not, then what is the most appropriate way to respond? Pray they spare your life? Or fight back. Ultimately, that day I pretty much decided I was not going to be a victim and as far as I know there is no reasonable way to deal with evil other than immediate armed response.

Fortunately the couples lives were spared and the wife actually ended up getting pregnant and for religious reasons kept the child. He turned out to be a great kid. It just goes to show you how you are a product of your environment.

The other story I have is quite similar. Another family friend had two black males come to the back door at gunpoint. They took the husband to the ATM in the trunk of their car, tied and with his eyes covered. Withdrew the max amount of money they could and took him to a field. They were debating executing him but one of the guys told the other guy not to do it. He was found naked and tied up by cops about an hour later.

Curious to hear your stories that shaped your opinion on lawful concealed carry, or if you just made the decision to carry without having any violent experiences.

·
Banned
49 Posts
Islam, and the absolutely embarrassing pathetic cowards that run our government that are so hell bent on not offending Muslims that they are risking American lives......and I will not be caught without a weapon when some azzhat wants to start shooting people....

·
Banned
374 Posts
I am curious to hear why you all carry and if any particular event caused you to begin carrying.
At age 18, I was arrested for a crime of which I had no involvement at all. Circumstantial evidence did indeed make it look like I was involved but even Barney Fife could have figured out in 5 minutes that I was not involved had he put forth the effort. They didn't. I spent the night in jail and was arraigned the next morning and was released. Four hours later, I bought my first handgun. I was exonerated the next day but the damage had already been done. That was 50+ years ago. I've carried every day since, with the mandate that no one would ever interfere with my life again without the act being contested. So far, no one has been foolish enough to try.

·
Premium Member
7,487 Posts
We had guns at home. Our state went to shall issue. That was when I decided that I needed to carry a gun all the time. Because I could! Hoping I will never need to use it for the purpose I carry it, but keeping in practice in case the worst happens.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
2009 American Civic Association shootings. It was only two blocks from where I worked.

Though I have been carrying when fishing and hiking/hunting since 1980ish. Just not all the time like now.

Reactions: BenGoodLuck

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
For me, it was three "events" that made self-defense and carry a regular part of my life:

1987 (age 11)- Joined a Boy Scout Troop where defensive weapons were actively carried by leadership and recreational shooting (rifles, shotguns, handguns) was a standard camping activity. Shot my first .44 mag with the Scoutmaster's 4" 629 at age 11 1/2 on a week long backpacking trip in the Tetons.

1988 (age 12)- My parents and I had to drive my older brother's '78 Ford F250 from Susanville, CA back to Boulder. Knowing the deserted roads in Nevada we would be traversing, by brother suggested my dad borrow his Ruger Single-Six as a "friend". We had never had a functional handgun at home previously.

1989 (age 13)- The mountain lion population exploded around our home, necessitating day carry outside the house. My dad bought me a DAO Enfield No. 2, Mk. 1* in .38 S&W that became my EDC after school and on the weekends. I used that gun a my primary sidearm into college, and still have it for home defense.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
For me, it was pretty simple. There was no one particular event, but rather the simple desire to protect my wife and myself from becoming the next "easy target/victim" as we grow older.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
A few days after San Bernardino, DW and I were talking. I made the comment that something like that makes me want to carry a gun. She admitted to having the same thoughts. I started researching, bought my first handgun, and got my CHP. Still waiting on DW. She took the CHP with me, but hasn't pressed forward with her permit.

I now carry everywhere it is legal.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My interest in firearms, mostly.

An increase in less-desirable individuals and crime in town has given me more incentive to load up every chance I can.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
The Glock 30 SF in the LGS just begged me to take it home and carry it always.

Reactions: Minister

·
Registered
190 Posts
A couple of black punks. I knew that the day was coming.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Because I have always wanted to be prepared for anything. It was just matter of fact that I would get my license when I came of age. At first I carried every day because of novelty, but now I see it as necessity.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Realizing it was up to one person ME to protect me and my family and friends. Who else was going to? The Police that would get there 10 minutes AFTER something went on??(not a bash on Police just a realization they dont sit outside our houses every day just waiting for us to call..they have other things to do and no matter how hard they try they cant always get to us in time)..So i figured it was up to me.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
About everyone ive ever known around here since I was a kid carried a gun.
Long before " permission slips". Just pretty much always have carried one way or another. Way I was raised carrying a gun was /is about the same as wearing pants.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a run in with a purse snatcher. IT worked out fine, but if he had a weapon I would have been screwed. I also had my family there with me. After that I decided I'd be armed everywhere I went. The recent gun violence has made it more evident that I need to carry.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts