Defensive Carry banner

Use a jacket or vest to carry concealed?

• Don't or won't own one. See no practical value.

Votes: 91 51.1%
  • Tried one or more, but always carry in a regular holster instead.

Votes: 23 12.9%
  • Sometimes I prefer to carry (or bug) in my overgarment.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • When it's jacket weather, my jacket is loaded!

Votes: 48 27.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps the weather is not yet cool enough, but when/where/why would you carry (or have you carried) in a jacket or vest rather than a belt or shoulder rig?

I have a very nice 'shoot me first' 5.11 vest in the closet, and a couple of jackets with cc flaps, but other than to try them against a mirror for printing checks, these clothes have never been worn 'loaded' so I'm wondering, who prefers (or at east sees value in) carrying in such outerwear?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I don't, just as you called it, shoot me first clothing. I wear a leather jacket or fleece jacket during the winter and fall.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I've tried this method before and didn't care for it. I use jackets in cold weather as cover garments (and keeping warm) and always carry in a regular holster IWB or OWB.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I wear a jacket when needed to keep warm, period. That doesn't happen very often down here......

I don't modify how I carry regardless of the weather.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Since you are in Florida you are well aware that we have very few days when a jacket is needed. A non-tucked flannel shirt, or loose fitting sweatshirt both do an excellent job of concealing. I usually go to my Kahr PM-9 in a pocket holster when a jacket is required.

I also agree that a 5.11 vest/jacket is like wearing a sign that says "look at me I'm carrying a gun." The whole idea of concealed carry is to not be conspicuous.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I don't own any outer garments specifically designed for CC.
That said, I do sometimes carry in an outer pocket of my winter coat for ease of access.
Winter in MN is COLD and dressing in layers can make it almost impossible to reach a carry weapon on your belt. I sometimes clip an IWB on my insulated coveralls under my left arm for the same reason.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
A jacket for cover when weather permits. During the deep freeze up here I carry in an outer coat or parka pocket.

bosco

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
I've carried a snubby or two in the pockets of a full-length, heavy coat when the weather was bad, and I was walking the streets of St. Louis.

I don't do it often, avoid it when I can, but sometimes the occassion calls for it.

Much faster than digging through a layer or three of clothes for a gun.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I'm from Minnesota and I wear coats of every nature full time from Oct. 1 to the end of April. Sport coats are a year around thing for me and light weight wind breakers for my early morning runs. OK, so I wear coats. I almost always use a "regular" holster. If I can cover it properly, my choice is a shoulder holster.
It doesn't happen often, but I do have a heavy leather jacket that can carry the weight of a pistol in one of the large side pockets. I have done it that way, but I don't like the gun not being attached to my body. I don't think it is a good practice.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
It's a holster and my Leather jacket when the weather calls for it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I prefer to have a holster, but when it's freezing here, I want to be able to get to reach my gun without having to shed 3 layers of clothes!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Snubbie in the jacket. The trick is practicing firearm presentation with gloves on while the snubbie is in the jacket. Takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Perhaps the weather is not yet cool enough, but when/where/why would you carry (or have you carried) in a jacket or vest rather than a belt or shoulder rig?

I have a very nice 'shoot me first' 5.11 vest in the closet, and a couple of jackets with cc flaps, but other than to try them against a mirror for printing checks, these clothes have never been worn 'loaded' so I'm wondering, who prefers (or at east sees value in) carrying in such outerwear?
I live in Arizona, don't need a jacket

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Another Minnesotan here, and we wear vests, jackets and coats for fall, winter and into spring.

This winter I'll keep my new SIG P238 in right coat pocket for easier access...easy to keep my ungloved right hand in my pocket, and it doesn't look unusual around here.

I have found that the "golfy" microfiber vests blouse up near the webbing at the bottom, making them an excellent cover garment with fairly easy access. I even wear them under a coat in winter so I can shed my coat and still be concealed. I have a black, navy and khaki so I'm sylin' for any occasion....heh.

Oh, and would someone please cite an actual incident where the person in the vest was "shot first"--good grief, let that myth take a rest...:nono:

·
Registered
113 Posts
When winter arrives here in Michigan, staying warm is equally important to staying armed... after all, what good will having a firearm do you when you've frozen solid? If you can just dash from car -> building -> car that's great, but some of us have to actually exist in the icy doom.

If you go coat shopping with the intent to be able to holster a gun in it.. it's not that outrageously difficult. I have several jackets and coats that can securely hold a holster and be in a position to readily remove from the holster if necessary. But come cold season, almost everything I need on my person moves from being in pants/belt area to coat area.

Autumn/spring is more difficult... but doable. I usually wear a leather jacket during the cool months, and I'm thinking of finding a wear to wear a vest with it. The jacket doesn't have an easy way to holster to it, but I think a vest inside of it and maybe turn one of the jacket pockets into an invisible pocket.. would work. But I sew, so perhaps I'm looking at it differently. :)

But I think when it is weather appropriate, nobody will give it second thought if you have extra layers of clothing - whether they are for simple concealment or also holstering. In fact around here, if you *don't* have extra layers and it's getting brisk outside, you stick out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I like to have the option of taking my coat off when I arrive. I've been around guys that are clearly uncomfortable and will not remove their coat and makes people wonder.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Another Minnesotan here, and we wear vests, jackets and coats for fall, winter and into spring.

This winter I'll keep my new SIG P238 in right coat pocket for easier access...easy to keep my ungloved right hand in my pocket, and it doesn't look unusual around here.

I have found that the "golfy" microfiber vests blouse up near the webbing at the bottom, making them an excellent cover garment with fairly easy access. I even wear them under a coat in winter so I can shed my coat and still be concealed. I have a black, navy and khaki so I'm sylin' for any occasion....heh.

Oh, and would someone please cite an actual incident where the person in the vest was "shot first"--good grief, let that myth take a rest...:nono:

Jimmy This is my favorite cover garment can be worn 7 to 8 months out of the year. The golf vest draws very little attention and is very comfortable to wear.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I am taking this poll to mean a jacket or vest is used to CARRY the weapon, not just conceal a weapon holstered on the person.

I have, on rare occasions, carried a secondary weapon in a jacket or vest pocket. Rare, because down here on the Gulf Coast, jackets and vests are rather thin and light. I can go years without needing a heavy outer garment. When I need warmth, I am more likely to layer several thinner garments, rather than wear one heavy one.

The exception is my police duty jacket, which is sturdy enough to support a snubby in the pocket, even an all-steel snubby. It functions as a rain jacket, and the liner is removable, so it gets used a bit all year.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I see no practical value in using a vest or coat to 'house' the firearm...just as use for cover.
I'm beginning to also see the value in an OWB instead of an IWB...more later on that one.:22a:

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I'll use a jacket or vest from time to time but NOT to carry my weapon in, it stays ON me! :smile:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts