Defensive Carry banner

What accessories do you have mounted on your home defense shotgun?

• Red dot optic

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Weapon mounted light

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • Sling

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • Side saddle shell (ammo) holder

Votes: 36 51.4%
  • Magazine tube extension

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Barrel clamp

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 22 31.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My research on putting together a home defense shotgun "system" also includes the accessories that might be mounted on it. I know a side saddle shell holder seems to be something I would probably want, as well as a weapon mounted light. Probably a sling, too. I'm not sure how essential a red dot is if you have ghost ring sights, or the necessity of a barrel clamp or magazine extension tube?

I'm curious to see what accessories others here find helpful or essential. I will probably be outfitting a Mossberg 930 Tactical SPX.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My research on putting together a home defense shotgun "system" also includes the accessories that might be mounted on it. I know a side saddle shell holder seems to be something I would probably want, as well as a weapon mounted light. Probably a sling, too. I'm not sure how essential a red dot is if you have ghost ring sights, or the necessity of a barrel clamp or magazine extension tube?

I'm curious to see what accessories others here find helpful or essential.
I'm possibly looking to get a light mounted onto my Remington 870 Express with 18.5" barrel. This is the standard wooden stock/fore-end version of their "Tactical" model and doesn't have any picatinny rails. The kind of light I want clamps down on the barrel itself. There is one at my LGS in their 40% off bin I've been looking at but not sure if it's a good light or not.

·
Registered
598 Posts
For what this may be worth as I’m sharing personal opinions relevant to my home defense shotgun.

The Mossberg 930 SPX you mentioned in another shotgun post holds 7+1, 9 total if you decide to ghost load.

Again, this is personal opinion but if 9 rounds of OO Buck don’t get the job done I doubt I’d have time to double load more shells from a saddle shell holder unless I was John Wick.

The SPX comes with a tube extension so I don’t need one of those

I spent around $17 and bought a tube clamp. Too bad for me that I’m overly particular about marring up the finish on my guns so the barrel clamp found a home in the back of the bottom dresser drawer. Since I’m not going to be out in the woods playing Rambo with the shotgun it really won’t serve the purpose of protecting the tube extension from getting bent and I’d have to take it on and off every time I clean the weapon

I had an extra Vortex red dot sight that I put on it. Works great for the range but I’m rather hoping I never have the need to see how well it works at night on a home intrusion

Anyhow, just sharing some random thoughts on your question

·
Registered
32 Posts
I spent around $17 and bought a tube clamp. Too bad for me that I’m overly particular about marring up the finish on my guns so the barrel clamp found a home in the back of the bottom dresser drawer.
I too am picky about keeping my firearms in nice condition and I thought about the clamp on the light I was looking at possibly marring up the finish on my barrel. However, it does have some nice, thick, rubber padding on the clamps but I don't how long these will hold up.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I read that some people used electrical tape around the barrel and tube extension where the clamp would go to protect the finish but I didn’t want to fool with anything like that.

I too am picky about keeping my firearms in nice condition and I thought about the clamp on the light I was looking at possibly marring up the finish on my barrel. However, it does have some nice, thick, rubber padding on the clamps but I don't how long these will hold up.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Most of the duty shotguns around here have slings, and our Bloop Gun (plain old $79 H&R Walmart 12 ga single shot) has a shortened LOP, Kick-Ezz pad, 18.5" barrel and a tritium front bead.

·
Registered
206 Posts
For a home defense shotgun, I feel a light is important. If you want to keep a wood forend and not mount a rail on it... there are options like this.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100531033?pid=667570

There is another one that fits between the barrel and extension/barrel nut, that gives a short rail for a pistol mount... but forget who puts it out. Want to say Streamlight, but they may have dropped it when they put out their light forends.

On my 870P and TAC-14... Magpul forend with rail and TLR-1.

Side saddle is big, as is a sling. I don’t usually add extensions, but try to get them on the gun when I buy. Exception being my TAC-14... added a +1 to that. But sort of debating on AOWing it, so I can do a side-folding brace again. Or SBR it and just do a folding Minimalist stock.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I voted sling , my home defense shotguns pull double duty as hunting guns .

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Extended magazine tube seems the most obvious. Going along with the theory that more ammo is never bad, a side saddle seems like an easy add on. The problem arises when it comes time to reload during a violent home invasion.

Lights can be a good tool, if one is practiced in the pros and cons.

Everything else is lipstick.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
My shotguns are for grouse and turkey hunting, so they are as they came out of the box. One, the 20ga, is loaded with #4 buck, but is not the primary.
I am not going to drag a long gun in and out of the safe every day. And if things get so ugly that I need to get to a long gun, I will pick a short long one in 6.8mm.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts