Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter is a conservative columnist and asked me to try and find out the answer to this.

thnx

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Welcome to the forum, mitch77. Since you posed this question in the open-carry forum, I presume you are asking how many carry openly. Open carry is not prohibited here (outside of Denver), but very few do so. But you may really be asking about concealed carry, for which we do have some data.

According to the latest data (2009 Aug) located at http://cbi.state.co.us/ic/Statistics/2009stats/August 2009 Firearm Stats.pdf , there have been 86,756 Colorado concealed-weapon permits issued since the inception of shall-issue in 2003.

The State Demography Office estimates the current population of Colorado to be 5,109,700, so the maximum possible rate of legal carry is about 1.7%. Of course the actual rate may be less because it's possible that some with permits don't carry. Also Colorado LEOs carry using their LEO credentials rather than concealed weapon permits.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Without even looking, I'm going to bet >3% of the population have permits, and only half of them actually have an EDC...we'll see how close I get.:smile:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't mean just open

She was interested in open and concealed.
She is considering an article on how carry (both types) suppress crime.

has anyone seen any studies on the effect of open carry on crime?
Seems to me it would be much more of a deterrent.

thnx

·
Registered
809 Posts
Before Obama took office, 2% in ElPaso County Colorado had CCW permits. That is the most info I have to share on the topic. I wish I could be more help.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The State Demography Office estimates the current population of Colorado to be 5,109,700, so the maximum possible rate of legal carry is about 1.7%. Of course the actual rate may be less because it's possible that some with permits don't carry.
It almost certainly is much less. Of course I need the link so I can't find it, but I remember reading a survey/study of Florida CCW holders that found that a very large majority did not carry most of the time. But again, I can't find the link, so take it for what it's worth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts