Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm not the only one who upon learning of the gentleman's successful takedown of the active shooter in the church in Fort Worth....asked myself...which of my handguns I would want if I had to take that shot. So I've been to the range several times in the last couple of weeks. I've shot my HK P2000, my M&P 2.0 compact...and a couple of my 1911 commanders. But surprisingly to me, the one that I could most regularly hit a 4 inch plate at 15 yards..cold...was my glock 34. Not impossible to carry...but not easy. I'm curious, what others think of the same question.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For me, it would be my XDm 9mm full size. I shoot it better than any other gun I own, have had it close to a decade and it has a few thousand rounds through it.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
15 yards should be lights out for a head shot even with a snub nosed revolver. If you don't train nothing will work.
Doesn't matter what gun you shoot the best on the range. What matters is what gun you train the most with that you actually carry every day.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
For me a .357 Magnum 125 gr. JHP between the running lights.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Toss up between my Baer and the USP Expert.

Go with the Baer for caliber, I guess.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Toss up: Glock 20 165gr Gold Dot
Colt 1991A1 230gr Remington Golden Sabre
Taurus G3 124gr+P Federal HST.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
My HK 45c, or my HK USP Compact .45. I'll stop the threat with either. :vs_cool:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
For that specific shot?
Have to be my G17 with RDS.
Trouble is I don't CC it, although it has replaced the G19 as my preferred duty weapon.
At church, I'm most likely to have the G19 along with an LCP.

If we're just dreaming.
I'd go with a 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt carried in a western fast draw rig, loaded with a 250grn XTP pushed to around 1400fps. They make neat little holes going in and silver dollar sized ones going out. Best have a solid backstop behind your target.

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
In a church situation, I would want to have the absolute most accurate gun I could get. An attractive choice for me would be the new Sig P210 Carry. Yes, it's heavy and it's single stack, but the 210 has a great rep for being extremely accurate. It's like a target pistol made for carry. You don't want to be spraying rounds in a crowded situation like a church. Just MHO.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Training to be proficient

The real issue is not what pistol to carry to be sure to have a one shot stopping with a hit between the headlights, but more, how much practice it is going to take before you can make that shot 100% of the time with the pistol you’re carrying.

Some citizens change out their carry sidearm, from week to week or day to day depending on what they are wearing. For them it is difficult, to get the training and practice they need to be proficient.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Without context it means nothing

Which gun?

I think a better question would be, which gun can you get that shot off with the fastest.

I don’t think most people are realistic in their expectations. At 15 yards, damn near any gun can hit a pie plate at 15 yards if you have enough time to aim.

I mean let’s face it; a plate isn’t going anywhere, it’s not moving and it’s not doing anything to cause anxiety, or moving thru a group of other plates.

Try some drills like the Wizard Drill, or 5x5 Drill if you really want to see where you stand with your guns.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Of the pistols I own, Glock 35 would be 1st pick; but, I've done a lot of practice lately with the Glock 23 that I EDC and it would be about as good.

Reactions: matthew03

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
As others have stated. Most any pistol will kill. One shot kills require very precise shot placement.
So the best pistol for one shot kills is the one you shoot most accurately.
And range shooting and adrenaline pumping, soiling your tighty whities scenarios are not the same.
You may not know how accurate you are in real life unless you are in that type of situation.
Or as others have mentioned like @G26Raven, taken a good active shooter training class.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts