Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
After yesterday's IDPA match, my confidence in my Sig P365 has grown exponentially. I am convinced I could make a tight shot mechanically … it's the emotional side of the equation that needs examination.

What would my mindset be in the Ft. Worth church scenario? Would I be scared at a primal level? Would my aim waver? Would I see the perp as another human and hesitate at the critical moment?

I would hope (and pray) that my mind, in its tunnel-vision mode, would go steely calm and my resolve would allow me to commit to the shot and eliminate all of the variables above. However, I can't say that would be true because I've never been there, never done that. And, I hope I never have to do that, but I compete and train with that thought always in the back of my mind because I take the responsibility of carrying a lethal weapon very seriously.

Carrying and training with ONE gun (two at the max), is giving me confidence in my mechanical capabilities with the Sig and my LCPII. The mental aspects are one of those imponderables that makes up life's journey for each of us as individuals.

OP - very intriguing thread. Thanks for launching it, and thanks to everyone for their responses … both serious and humorous. Love the phasers and capacitators, RPGs and LAWs comments. I can always one-up that line or reasoning with my Army experience guarding Nike Hercules air defense missiles. When all else fails, I'd pop 'em with a Nike-Herk … of course there MIGHT be a bit of collateral damage. :)

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Not quite the single playing card grouping, but getting there....20 yards.

IMG_20200225_130827649_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
915 Posts
Not quite the single playing card grouping, but getting there....20 yards.

View attachment 315818
It's funny you put that target up during a discussion of head shots. I've been told that many defensive/responsive shootings are just like that target - to the gun - because that is the perceived threat. That's an even smaller, maybe harder target to hit then either cns or cm. Yet, and I've seen this many times with traditional archery and also done it. If you focus intently on a spot, even with a recurve or longbow with no sights, you can hit or come remarkably close if you are a pretty good shooter to begin with. I used to aim at arrow holes in a target. Some like to aim at anothers arrow, but I never liked to ruin good arrows and loved to slide in right alongside another arrow. I believe handguns and traditional archery share many of the same skills and mindsets to achieve similar results. It takes confidence and believing in what you are doing, along with a strong motivation - for whatever reason - to make the shot happen. I once called a shot with a group of friends from 18-20 yards to "right between the eyes" on a wolf target facing us and made it. I think we all gasped at the shot - but we can do it if we follow up on- and allow - that strong feeling of knowing you can do it - and wanting to do it at the same time.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
It's funny you put that target up during a discussion of head shots. I've been told that many defensive/responsive shootings are just like that target - to the gun - because that is the perceived threat. That's an even smaller, maybe harder target to hit then either cns or cm. Yet, and I've seen this many times with traditional archery and also done it. If you focus intently on a spot, even with a recurve or longbow with no sights, you can hit or come remarkably close if you are a pretty good shooter to begin with. I used to aim at arrow holes in a target. Some like to aim at anothers arrow, but I never liked to ruin good arrows and loved to slide in right alongside another arrow. I believe handguns and traditional archery share many of the same skills and mindsets to achieve similar results. It takes confidence and believing in what you are doing, along with a strong motivation - for whatever reason - to make the shot happen. I once called a shot with a group of friends from 18-20 yards to "right between the eyes" on a wolf target facing us and made it. I think we all gasped at the shot - but we can do it if we follow up on- and allow - that strong feeling of knowing you can do it - and wanting to do it at the same time.
Try a FoF class with simulations...you'll get shot a lot, in the hand. It's kind of amazing really...Almost like one of those old westerns where the good guy shoots the gun out of the hands of the bad guy...except nobody's trying to do it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Chaplain - Can't believe you'd shoot a man with a Glock! Obviously, if he's got a Glock, he's a good guy.:image035:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
This was from one of my latest range trips.....I actually didn't intend to aim at his pistol, but I've noticed that as I move to 20 yrds and beyond, my eyes are having a more difficult time picking up something specific to aim at......

This was my last hostage target, distance ranges from 15-25 yards (the three shots in the hanger were not mine)

IMG_20190726_123518148_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
915 Posts
I used to love setting up shoots for our club years ago. Did alot of hostage stuff back then. Didn't have gruesome targets like they have now and like Chaplain Scott just posted. One day I was test driving a Lincoln I'd done a wheel alignment on. I was going pretty fast, looking for any pulling and watching the grass for wind direction when a Sect of State car went by me. I watched and never saw him turn around or brake. I think I was up in the low 80's. I turned around and came back and we passed again and this time I saw brake lights come on. He pulled me over, stuck his head in the passenger window I'd lowered and said, Craig, is that you? I gulped when I recognized him because as the Vice President of our club, he quit when I didn't discipline someone hard enough. Anyway, after telling me how fast I was going both ways and how they were now patrolling this road and I'd better slow down - and giving me a warning ticket - he says, hey, thanks for putting on all those shoots and those hostage scenarios. I joined the SWAT team and they really helped me. Then he said he didn't stop on the first pass thinking I was probably a lawyer or something in that big Lincoln. Those were fun years.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I would be happy just getting 3 out of 5 shots somewhere on a silhouette target at 20 yards.

Reactions: Chaplain Scott

·
Registered
823 Posts
I do actually practice shots like the amazing church defensive shooting, but the stress of a "real" situation, innocents running around, and a target on the move would nullify most of my training.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I do actually practice shots like the amazing church defensive shooting, but the stress of a "real" situation, innocents running around, and a target on the move would nullify most of my training.

How did ya know which one was the bad guy? :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
There's something to be said for training in a chaotic environment.
I've never been able to, but then, I was a short order cook for many years, so that will have to do.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Sir,
I tend to agree with you. And the classes I've attended....and my normal training focus on just what you said. Shoot till the threat is stopped. And no, I';m sure if he hadn't achieved the head shot he wouldn't have stopped shooting. I just was struck by his ability to stop this episode, with one shot. And I, unlike some on here, do not think it was an easy shot. But, the bad guy produced a weapon and in six seconds, he was stopped. I just recognize this as a possible scenario and I wanted to test myself on a cold first shot. And I was somewhat disappointed. I know, training and practice makes the day, but for each of us, there will be a handgun that we are most accurate with. And if possible, that's the one I wish to have on me when/if the need arises.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
post #66 if you are law enforcement and know who is the bad guy/girl then that is great shooting.

if not and you just got there ,, what if the guy just got the gun away from the girl and told her to put her hands up.

generally if its not you being shot at, think before you go in action.

61 - 80 of 132 Posts