Defensive Carry banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
The first firearm I carried in the 50s was a 45lc with 240gr SWHP but what few I have now days I practice so that the plan is to stop the threat as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
There is no such thing as a one shot stop pistol. Practice and shot placement are your best bet then there a no guarantees even with that.
So you're saying that one shot to the center of the forehead with 124 grain HST that functions as it should upon hitting the target won't stop a bad guy, that it's not possible with that one shot? I beg to differ. I'd say the likelihood of a one shot stop with a pistol is slim, but it's certainly possible. I sure wouldn't want to rely on just one shot. But it can and does happen.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
For me, my .357 revolver is my best choice. It is the handgun I have the greatest proficiency with. Even with great shot placement, I'm not certain the target will stop with one shot. I've been hunting too long to think there are any guarantees. I've seen many animals with mortal wounds keep on moving for a brief period. My father taught his sons to keep shooting until our prey is down, and so that is what I do when hunting.

I almost got knocked off of my ladder stand by a buck I hit that ran 55 yards after being hit. I got both lungs and the heart with a partitioned round, and that buck just shook with the shock of the hit. He turned around, and ran back the way he came (towards my stand). Scared the crap out of me when I realized how lucky I was AFTER he had fallen at the base of my tree. Yes, I use a harness, but I still have desire to come off my platform...

Ironically, of all the deer I've killed, for none have survived a hit from my 7mm08 so far, only one deer remained standing after being shot. A spiker (yearling buck). He was dead on his feet, but on his feet, and the smallest deer I've taken with that rifle. He was a rare critter that got shot twice.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,856 Posts
A .22 short in contact with the base of the skull when fired can be a one-shot stop. Any caliber of handgun, rifle, or shotgun will not be a one-shot stop if you miss. The question is what is the largest caliber you can control with accuracy under duress and still carry every day all day?

·
Registered
321 Posts
So you're saying that one shot to the center of the forehead with 124 grain HST that functions as it should upon hitting the target won't stop a bad guy, that it's not possible with that one shot? I beg to differ. I'd say the likelihood of a one shot stop with a pistol is slim, but it's certainly possible. I sure wouldn't want to rely on just one shot. But it can and does happen.
:confused::confused:

He was saying that shot placement matters more than the caliber of any particular pistol/caliber. A point that's lost on like 80% (maybe higher) of gun owners seems...

People should be worried about consistency, penetration, accuracy, and shot placement if they want to be able to manage a "one shot stop" instead of wasting time worried about caliber...

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
All handgun calibers stink at stopping two legged adversaries.

Pick the one you shoot the best and will carry the most.

.380ACP or .44 Magnum...it’s all about shot placement.
Myth.

You got it right in the second sentence. Either loaded with the wrong ammo for the job is gonna suck.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
:confused::confused:

He was saying that shot placement matters more than the caliber of any particular pistol/caliber. A point that's lost on like 80% (maybe higher) of gun owners seems...

People should be worried about consistency, penetration, accuracy, and shot placement if they want to be able to manage a "one shot stop" instead of wasting time worried about caliber...
The one stop shot was always a metric of measurement, not a tactic.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I would want my 642 with wadcutters or my Glock 26 with 147 hst. Neither gun is the most powerful gun in the world. They are however what I am likely to be carrying and I shoot them enough to be comfortable with either

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
All handgun calibers stink at stopping two legged adversaries.

Pick the one you shoot the best and will carry the most.

.380ACP or .44 Magnum...it’s all about shot placement.
This is what I preach the most and this is what I was going to reply ..........

Nope.

Handgun calibers exiting short barrels are anemic pea shooters compared to rifle calibers.

Thank you gentlemen.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
Nope.

Handgun calibers exiting short barrels are anemic pea shooters compared to rifle calibers.
That is not what you said. I have seen lots of people shot with magnum revolvers, as have many others and the consensus is that they do not suck, and they are not anemic. Define short.
You still need pretty darn good placement with a rifle.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
What are your credentials for preaching this?
Common sense. If you can't hit what you're aiming at the caliber does not matter. As for the agreement in the rifle comment, same reasoning with the realization the power difference between rifle & handgun is your best chance at a one-stop shot. I personally would not want to falsely rely on a carry gun having that much stopping power even hitting what you're aiming at. That is what I base my preaching on to the folks I hang with that feel nothing less that .45 is useless.

I hope this clears things up, if not ... you'll have that.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
Common sense. If you can't hit what you're aiming at the caliber does not matter. As for the agreement in the rifle comment, same reasoning with the realization the power difference between rifle & handgun is your best chance at a one-stop shot. I personally would not want to falsely rely on a carry gun having that much stopping power even hitting what you're aiming at. That is what I base my preaching on to the folks I hang with that feel nothing less that .45 is useless.

I hope this clears things up, if not ... you'll have that.
I base my opinions on working as a street cop for decades, seeing people shot, stabbed, beaten and run over. The whole " if you can't hit" mantra is irrelevant to the ballistics debate. What we call an assumption in fact; Assuming equal hits. Common sense dictates that only decisive hits count.

One shot stop is a metric of measurement, not a tactic.

Why would you not want to carry a powerful handgun? The only reasons I could see would be physical infermery that precludes it, lack of skill, or NPE. Two of the three are difficult to overcome. What do you call it a false reliance? I have seen many, many people shot with magnum revolvers every one hit COM was out of the fight and ALL of them hit more than twice were DRT. False? I think not.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I base my opinions on working as a street cop for decades, seeing people shot, stabbed, beaten and run over. The whole " if you can't hit" mantra is irrelevant to the ballistics debate. What we call an assumption in fact; Assuming equal hits. Common sense dictates that only decisive hits count.

One shot stop is a metric of measurement, not a tactic.

Why would you not want to carry a powerful handgun? The only reasons I could see would be physical infermery that precludes it, lack of skill, or NPE. Two of the three are difficult to overcome. What do you call it a false reliance? I have seen many, many people shot with magnum revolvers every one hit COM was out of the fight and ALL of them hit more than twice were DRT. False? I think not.

First off thank you for the public service.

My entire point is "hit what you aim at" You realize by experience alone, it doesn't matter what you shoot if you can't hit it. There are many people out there grabbing the biggest and baddest and never actually learn to control it let alone master it. It makes no difference to me what anyone chooses to shoot, but for their safety learn how to use the tool rather than just have it.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
First off thank you for the public service.

My entire point is "hit what you aim at" You realize by experience alone, it doesn't matter what you shoot if you can't hit it. There are many people out there grabbing the biggest and baddest and never actually learn to control it let alone master it. It makes no difference to me what anyone chooses to shoot, but for their safety learn how to use the tool rather than just have it.
Hits should be a given, at least when discussing ballistics.

One of my old buddies on the PD ran the range before he retired. One of the cops was lamenting that they did not have the latest greatest HP. He told them, " When you learn to qualify, I might listen to you".

101 - 120 of 132 Posts