Defensive Carry banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
My guess is The brother has done something that could send him away for a long time, and the DA is trying to tie it into past crimes. By claiming you are dead he is hoping the DA will drop that previous claim and shorten the time he has coming! If that is true, you will have to decide if you can testify against him, and let him dry out in jail so he can look at the mess he has made of his life and possibly change. Or not and he walks right back into his drug addled life.
I know what I would do. But not everyone could . My own mother can not.

Good Luck! Family are the most difficult to deal with. DR

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
My brother didn't contact me, I was contacted by my lawyer. The reason that my lawyer contacted me is because a lawyer representing my brother contacted him. From what I was told, my brother said I had died. I assure you I haven't, I'm still here! So I can't figure out what exactly the motive is for my brother to tell his lawyer that I had died. My lawyer is going to tell his lawyer that I'm alive, but this doesn't make much sense to me.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Delusion. I'm dealing with it now with my mother-in-law. In her its Alzheimer's. I suspect the drugs have done some permanent damage to your brother's brain. Hopefully your brother is not out on bail or other.

Afterthought, how did he and his attorney know who your attorney is?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I lived with this cloud for a few years. My GF's ex husband, not only made threats, he went to prison for parole violation, got out, and continued the same thing for years. To this day, he's been in prison 4 separate times. He is violent, he steals, and known for sexually assaulting people.

She had a restraining order out on him. But he would deftly harass her relatives with something, make suggestive threats, just happen to be seen somewhere nearby. I never knew the extent of how bad it was until we started dating. He knew people. He stirred stuff up.

She still had the house they lived in. It was out in the middle of nowhere on 20 acres. This was turned into Ft Knox over a weekend after an incident. Lights went up on all four corners. She put bars up. The nieghbors, while not right next door, all were made aware of what was happening.

For public events, like weddings for example, we'd procure off duty LEO's (mostly Sherrif deputies) to have a presence outside. There was always someone who was willng to hang out in uniform for a couple of hours. We'd pay them $100 or so, they'd get a meal out of it too, and the peace of mind was well worth it. Not sure if your city/county permits that but the guys we had do this were always great.

Me personally, I've carried a long time. But this guy will always give me the creeps.

·
Super Moderator
23,342 Posts
My brother didn't contact me, I was contacted by my lawyer. The reason that my lawyer contacted me is because a lawyer representing my brother contacted him. From what I was told, my brother said I had died. I assure you I haven't, I'm still here! So I can't figure out what exactly the motive is for my brother to tell his lawyer that I had died. My lawyer is going to tell his lawyer that I'm alive, but this doesn't make much sense to me.
Just have your attorney ask the "Why" and "What" questions: Questions like: Why are you calling me. Why is he saying that. Why does he want me to call you. Why should you care. Why should I care. Why should I do anything. What does he expect me to do? What do you expect me to do? What is he trying to do? What are you doing calling me? What is your expectation of this call? What does he want? What do you want?

To be honest, your attorney needs to get in the game and start pushing back with gloves off. His attorney can be disbarred for some things, and your attorney should know that and be pushing. His attorney should be smart enough to ask HIS client for the answers BEFORE he ever contacted your attorney.

No explanation, then no response for his attorney.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Delusion. I'm dealing with it now with my mother-in-law. In her its Alzheimer's. I suspect the drugs have done some permanent damage to your brother's brain. Hopefully your brother is not out on bail or other.

Afterthought, how did he and his attorney know who your attorney is?
He knew my attorney because previously there was a matter that we dealt with where I used their legal services. I'm thinking of contacting my attorney next week and asking them more questions. Yesterday when they tried getting in touch with me it was very urgent on their end, but with no contact today maybe it will be better to ask them some more questions since things seem more calm.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Just keep track of where this is going with your attny. If you get into too much of a back and forth it's going to cost you in fees to your attny. Don't let this cost you. That is another way to suck you into his problems. And if he is indigent it's not costing him anything at all. Good Luck. DR

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Ugh....I spoke with my attorney. They told me that they called my brother's attorney back to let them know that they had spoken with me and that I'm alive. The call went to their voicemail and they left a message, but my attorney hasn't heard back from them.

My attorney thinks one thing my brother possibly could be trying to do is get control of my house via quitclaim deed perhaps. I'd think that would have to be notarized or that my death certificate would have to be shown, which would be weird since I'm alive and well.

I can't tell you how disheartening it is that it doesn't seem like there's anything law enforcement can do at this moment. Obviously my brother was/is trying to pull some kind of scam, but legally speaking what he has done is "talk". So law abiding citizens such as myself have to wait around until people like my brother, who have disregarded the law but either got away with it or got a slap on the wrist at best, finally cross the line where it can no longer be shrugged off by law enforcement. It's a horrible feeling when your only option is to pretty much wait around to be a victim.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts