Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend took a picture of one of my guns and only when I got home did I realize that the serial number may have been showing. Obviously when I'm able to get in touch with them I can ask them to delete the picture and in the future I'll be more careful when it comes to pictures being taken and the serial number being shown. But is there anything to worry about with my gun's serial number being seen on the internet?

·
Vendor
1,601 Posts
Years ago we had a guy who would report guns stolen and give the police serial numbers and just out of lunch he knew who had his gun.
He was eventually arrested for fraud on a bunch of stuff but I don't know if he ever got anybody's gun with the false reports or not.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
What risks are there with posting your gun's serial number online?
Probably none but who knows what skulduggery some evil genius can come up with in these times. No one needs any of my personal numbers except for those making direct deposits to my bank account.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Right now, if there is no problem with your gun's provenance, the risk is probably low. But with increasing gun restrictions around private sales and reporting theft and loss of firearms, I can see a chance it could cause problems in the future. So it is probably not the best idea, but nothing to get too excited about. In never post pictures of my guns with the serials showing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I sure like to look at pictures on firearms forums.
I've even posted a few myself.
It's sort of a kick to post a photo of your prize pistol and then later do a Google search for that model and bam....your photo shows up in the "Images" page of the Google search..
That's happened to me several times too. I know that it is from posting a picture on one of these forums because I don't post firearms photos anywhere else.

I do realize that this is different circumstances than you are asking about. I'm just tossing it out there as food for thought.
Once a picture gets out there on the net, you can never get it back.

If you hang around these forums long enough you hear all sorts of stuff and some of it might even be true.
I've read posts from guys who have found a picture of their pistol being used in a For Sale posting on an auction sight.
Obviously a scam of some sort.

This stuff isn't something that I lay awake worrying about at night....maybe I'll just post pictures of my pistols that went down with the boat in that horrific accident last week....
At any rate, it sure is something to think about.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm happy to say that I talked with them and the photo has been deleted. That was a quick resolution! Sometimes when you're talking with friends and having a good time you're not focused on much else at the time, but this was thankfully a good and easily learned lesson.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If I post pictures of my guns anywhere online the serial numbers are either on the back side of gun or I edit and block out everything. Take no chances.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
I haven't paid too much attention to it though I don't post many firearm pictures. The danger is probably overrated but in this day and age anything is possible. Just do what you feel comfortable with.

The serial number isn't something sacrilegious or anything. Your selling FFL has it as does the Federal Government and the manufacturer. And who know how many people have it if you bought it used.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm happy to say that I talked with them and the photo has been deleted. That was a quick resolution! Sometimes when you're talking with friends and having a good time you're not focused on much else at the time, but this was thankfully a good and easily learned lesson.
LOL. Now all you need be concerned about is that the NSA has it along with everything else in the world that has been transmitted via the internet. But not to worry - they wouldn't do anything illegal!

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
On the other hand, it isn't a bad idea to take a photo of your gun with the serial # readable. Take the photo with a camera not linked to the cloud and store it on a physical drive. It isn't required by insurance, but it makes things easier if there is a loss.

Or maybe that is just an excuse to clean up your guns and take pictures.

·
Registered
34,628 Posts
Solution looking for a problem. But if posting a photo with a serial number makes one uncomfortable, don't do it. No rocket science required there.

·
Registered
168 Posts
On the other hand, it isn't a bad idea to take a photo of your gun with the serial # readable. Take the photo with a camera not linked to the cloud and store it on a physical drive. It isn't required by insurance, but it makes things easier if there is a loss.

Or maybe that is just an excuse to clean up your guns and take pictures.
I have multiple pictures of each firearm I own and have owned and stored for my purposes only. One of them is for insurance as we have a rider just to cover our firearms. The other is in case they are stolen and I can give the police as much information concerning the firearms as possible hoping for a return should they be found. Living in rural America has its benefits and our local sheriff's office is easy to deal with in those matters.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have multiple pictures of each firearm I own and have owned and stored for my purposes only. One of them is for insurance as we have a rider just to cover our firearms. The other is in case they are stolen and I can give the police as much information concerning the firearms as possible hoping for a return should they be found. Living in rural America has its benefits and our local sheriff's office is easy to deal with in those matters.

I do the same, but those multi-angle photos with serial numbers are for emergency use only and reside on an encrypted drive. Just like I would black out my address, my license plate numbers, or my name on any online postings, I would block out any serial numbers that accidentally made their way to the pictures. Editing the photo to black out the number is so easy and quick, I'm not sure what the downside is. One can only be so lazy...

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Photographic evidence is a great way to document your weapons for insurance purposes. Things being what they are now, though, realize that to keep those images off the "cloud" usually requires you to set your phone/camera up to do so.

Reactions: duane_wade

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
As a general rule, you should never offer any personal, private information about yourself. That is just good practice. Doing it for everything, makes you more aware of your personal information.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts