Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 6'4", 225lbs, and have pretty large hands. I'm looking for suggestions on a hammer fire concealed carry gun, 9mm, double stack if possible, that is as compact as possible but not so compact that it's too small for my hands. I tried a ruger LC9S and even with a mag extension it left my pinkie flappin in the air.

This may be for another discussion, but I can't seem to get the accuracy with striker as I can with hammer - no idea why! I had a Sig P320RX and couldn't shoot it worth a damn yet with my EAA Witness Elite Match I can drill through the bullseye pretty consistently. The P-Carry in my signature shoots great and the size is ok but I'd like to find something a bit more compact if possible.

I am not a Glock fan, they have never felt right in my hand so other than that, I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
What have your fired and liked ?

I too am a bigger bloke .. My go to would be a sig legion 229 .. But you will get a lot of asnwer ..The sig 239 is just big enough for most hands ..And the newer gen Glock might be easier to some as they dont have finger groves cut in them ...

If you see the EAA maybe try other guns like that ie CZ75 types and the like

Reactions: Nmuskier

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
HK P2000sk with a P2000 magazine with an X-GRIP extension.

Or just go with a P2000. It's only .4 inches longer and .4 inches more in height, everything else is the same.

The grip on the P2000SK without the extension is too short for my liking, but perfect with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Hi,
I’m not a Glock fan either. You said your open for suggestions so here’s this;

Would you consider carrying a single stack with a larger caliber? I did and enjoy the lesser weight and bigger bang. .45’s are great, and they shoot fire!!!! :image035:

I don’t think either of us own a 9 so can’t comment on that, have others but for some reason just not a 9? After a .38 I went straight to 357 and then 45, like our GREAT President number 45. :yup:

Reactions: MPGunther

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Get a 1911 style pistol in 9mm
Will be plenty big enough for your hands.
I am 6'1" 200 lbs and carry a 1911 full and commander size every day with no problems.
Though I like my .45ACP rounds
Yeah,check out the 1911 platform,easy to handle,Dream to shoot accurately and easy take down to clean. I have 4,all .45. Rock Island is what I buy,No Tupperware guns here.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sounds like you need to go fondle every pistol in the case. After doing that, you should have a good idea what you want.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If you don't want plastic and don't mind the heft, the CZ75C is an amazing little pistol with excellent ergonomics, imo.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lots of great recs, thanks everyone! I love 1911's, shot one on the base team when I was in the Army, but I prefer 9mm over .45, especially since I have several 9mm's and a fair supply of ammo... I guess I'll just have to spend some time at a few of the local gun shops and buy a few test subjects!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you don't want plastic and don't mind the heft, the CZ75C is an amazing little pistol with excellent ergonomics, imo.
Yep, love the CZ! My P-Carry is about as close to a CZ as you can get without patent infringement.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Get a 1911 style pistol in 9mm
Will be plenty big enough for your hands.
I am 6'1" 200 lbs and carry a 1911 full and commander size every day with no problems.
Though I like my .45ACP rounds
That's probably where I'm headed, a 9mm 1911 style, but I wanted to see if I was missing anything else.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Plenty of options for DA or DA/SA guns in the compact size. You can go with anything like a Beretta 92 Compact, HK P30, HK USP Compact, Sig P229, Sig P250, CZ P-07, CZ 75 Compact, etc. All of them are high quality guns with great track records, and will get the job done.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
LaserMan Is there there a budget . Maybe cz dwx , a mix of a cz double stack grip and single action 1911 upper ! OR a BUL SAS II like there mini . for 1200 something bucks . Good common sense should allow you to find what YOU want .

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I can only speak from my experience, but based on your brief criteria, I would consider a LW commander-sized 1911 or a SIG P229. But the bottom line is -- what seems to fit you best. Try some options out; rent, barrow, or whatever you need to do to a good feel for your options.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts