Defensive Carry banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I purchased a Sig P229 after carrying a Colt Combat Elite 1911 in .45ACP and a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm for several years. I loved the P229 and carried it through one winter but with warmer weather I downsized to a Sig P365. I will probably never go back. I love the P365 now for EDC, though it does not meet your requirements as stated in your original post.

As mentioned in an earlier response, I would also suggest you try a Sig P229 which does meet your requirements. It was a great carry gun but over time, I just wanted to go to a smaller, lighter weapon.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Another vote for Beretta. 92 or Px4 Storm compact. Get the G type or convert the more common F type to a G.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I apologize for not reading all the previous post, but it sounds like a CZ 75, P07 or a 75 PCR would be perfect for you. They have great ergonomics and a trigger pull that is slightly longer than some pistols. They are adjustable to personalize the weight of the DA first trigger pull and you can make all modifications yourself or have CZ Custom or CGW"s do it for you, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
LaserMan Is there there a budget . Maybe cz dwx , a mix of a cz double stack grip and single action 1911 upper ! OR a BUL SAS II like there mini . for 1200 something bucks . Good common sense should allow you to find what YOU want .
It's not like I'm rolling in $ but I don't really have a budget. The DWX Compact looks like it might be the best of all worlds! I'll see if I can get one in my hands to see how it feels, but I really like the specs and the look of it! Thanks for the rec!!

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Beretta 92's seem to be popular with folks with big mitts! Good luck!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this. There are 9mm double stack 1911s in commander size. Might be very hard pressed to find one for sale at the moment. A single stack 1911 in 9mm usually holds 9+1.

I have fired a CZ 75b and enjoyed it. I had at one point, been seriously considering the compact version. There's also a light weight frame, which i believe is the P-01. I will say that the CZ was more accurate than I am by a long shot. Worth considering.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So I did my due diligence and spent an hour or two at a couple of gun shops. Nobody really has a great selection and a few that I wanted to check out are just not available, but I still think I made a good choice. I ended up going with a Sig P365XL. It's smaller than my Witness P-Carry by quite a bit but not so small that I feel like it doesn't fit my hand. Even with the standard 12 round magazine I fit my entire hand on the grip! There's a 15 round extended mag that I could get but I don't think I need it and with two mags I have 24 rounds - that should be plenty for 99.99% of defensive scenarios. I'm hoping to go shooting tomorrow and put a few hundred rounds through it, tonight is dry firing to get used to the trigger. I originally wanted a hammer-fire but I think this will work out ok considering how comfortable it feels. Plus, it's great to carry, no printing whatsoever even with the hokey belly-band holster I have. I ordered an appendix carry with a mag holder from stealthgearusa, should get here in a couple of weeks hopefully.

Anyway, thanks to everyone that offered suggestions, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It turns out the P365XL was a great suggestion! Thanks!

I purchased a Sig P229 after carrying a Colt Combat Elite 1911 in .45ACP and a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm for several years. I loved the P229 and carried it through one winter but with warmer weather I downsized to a Sig P365. I will probably never go back. I love the P365 now for EDC, though it does not meet your requirements as stated in your original post.

As mentioned in an earlier response, I would also suggest you try a Sig P229 which does meet your requirements. It was a great carry gun but over time, I just wanted to go to a smaller, lighter weapon.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts