Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are going on a cruise next week. We have to drive about 5 hours to get to the cruise port. We will be parking our car in the cruise port's parking facility.

I hate to drive that far without carrying, but I know you can't take any weapon on board ship. They check very thoroughly. My plan is to carry my weapon in my tactical fanny pack and lock it in the trunk when we get to the cruise port and retrieve it when we arrive at the end of the cruise.

I don't remember, from past cruises, if they check the car before you are allowed to park it, or if it is illegal to bring a weapon into a port authority, or if it's too risky to leave a gun locked in a car trunk in a secure lot for 10 days?

What do you guys suggest?:confused:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I suggest you begin getting ready for being disarmed 5 hours before your cruise & leave the gun at home in the safe. Most car trunks can be opened in less than 20 seconds with a dent puller.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Unless you have a small (KelTec type) pistol that you can effectively hide in the trunk...where it cannot be found, I think you best be w/o a weapon for the trip. OMO:gah:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
too risky to leave a gun locked in a car trunk in a secure lot for 10 days?
I agree

Have a good trip!

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I'm gonna have to agree with everyone saying leave it home... :wink:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Same problem faces us once or twice a year. We cruise out of NYC, NJ, Baltimore or Florida. Just leave them home in the safe.

bosco

·
Registered
18 Posts
I really don't think they pry open everyones trunk parked there. I am sure they have equipment that can tell if you have a gun in your trunk -- NOT !! I would carry you never know you may get attacked on your way to the ship.. or you may have to fight your way to the ship -- you never know!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I suggest you begin getting ready for being disarmed 5 hours before your cruise & leave the gun at home in the safe. Most car trunks can be opened in less than 20 seconds with a dent puller.
I have been driving for 46 years and have never had my trunk broken into. Don't call me lucky -- people don't pry open trunks unless they know what is there... get real !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Leave it at home... If you had a COM safe or something similar, you might consider it, but otherwise, leave it at home...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have been driving for 46 years and have never had my trunk broken into. Don't call me lucky -- people don't pry open trunks unless they know what is there... get real !!!!!!
My suggestion to you is you keep your eyes open in traffic. In my area you'll see plenty of cars with no lock in the trunk. FWIW Mr Lucky,
I ain't never had my trunk busted into neither, however in my business where I work as a Locksmith/Gun Dealer, I get to see lots of people who aren't named Mr Lucky, accause someone done busted their trunk open. Why doncha get yourself a lottery ticket next time ya buy that 12 pack of beer lucky dude.

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
Just a suggestion, but see if there is a gun shop in the city you will be going to. If there is, check with them and see if they can store it for you while your on your cruise. May cost you a few bucks, but saves you driving unarmed.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hire security to drive you.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you really want to take it how about field stripping it when you arrive and leaving the frame locked in the car and taking the slide or barrel with you. That way at least if something happens they don't have the whole gun.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
132 Posts
we just got back from a cruise in july out of texas. they only do random checks with luggage AFTER you are checking in. we had to go thru a metal detector after we got inside on our way to the check in counter. there is no way they have time to go thru all that luggage before the ship sails. when you get off it's the same thing, random searches. DO NOT get caught with anything that you are not supposed to have in your luggage. most of the lots down there have people watching the cars 24 hours a day ( at least that's what they told us). your gun should be as safe there as it is anywhere. but, if you can get a car safe or leave it at a local gun store that would probably be best.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thing I don't understand is this, here you are so paranoid, you can't put down the gun, not even when you're gonna be in a place where you won't have a gun. The only other thing I got for ya is, take that throwaway (private sale) gun you have been hiding out of it's hiding place. Put that in the car. Now since it is such a crappy gun, (may have black tape in lieu of grips) you won't hafta feel bad when it gets stolen.
Myself, well I'm too damn paranoid to be without at least 2-3 guns and 2-4 knives at any time. Good Luck Dude.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Cruise on an American flagged liner. Oops, too bad there's only one, and it's in Hawaii.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Anything in the trunk you could lock it to? Handcuff or gun lock through the frame and the frame of the car. Or cuff it to the seats where they bolt down. At least make them work for it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts