1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
You have been able to get photo targets like that for over twenty years in the Washington D.C. area. Some of my former coworkers posed for the pictures. These are nothing new.

·
Premium Member
34,330 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
I can tell you the Military had a very steep learning curve in VietNam. I was there for two tours and many servicemen paid a price for not understanding that women and children can kill you.

A threat of a gun pointed at you nullifies any age,sex,ethnic background and puts you in the target category. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
37,210 Posts
Got no problem with training them to ignore the obvious shooter condition and focusing on the weapon.

Reactions: Bark'n and ccw9mm

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
After reading about the thread on the Zombie mannequin (Now Closed). I wonder if that person would also find these REAL lifelike targets as distressing.

View attachment 72877

Lifelike 'No More Hesitation' Targets Of Pregnant Women, Children Made Available To Law Enforcement
Oh my gosh, I am so outraged about this...how could anyone possibly think that a child or a pregnant woman could ever point a gun at you if they weren't wearing their NRA hats and clinging to their Bibles!:wink:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can tell you the Military had a very steep learning curve in VietNam. I was there for two tours and many servicemen paid a price for not understanding that women and children can kill you.

A threat of a gun pointed at you nullifies any age,sex,ethnic background and puts you in the target category. Just my thoughts.
The VC specifically used women and children against us because they tended to emotionally "disarm" us into complacency, not expecting them to be combatants. Many of our men died before we learned that lesson.

Reactions: manolito

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
When its a threat it really dosent matter who it is. Its a threat, and will be treated a such. I do not have a problem with those targets....

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
On the issue of desensitizing, personally I don't believe a photograph will do it as the person practicing already knows it is just a piece of paper. Not to be gross or sound cruel, if you need to train someone to fire at a live person, a starting place would be live animals, goats, dogs; anything the person being trained will know full well is living. And even then, it won't work well as they will also know these are not human beings.

[sarcasm] So, I have a modest proposal. Put the Cleveland Kidnapper in a field and tell him to run.

Even that won't work. The shooter will know he isn't human. [/sarcasm]

Reactions: Bark'n

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually the first time i was on a range they offered me a Zombie Target.....

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Well to be honest, to get the most effect out of those types of targets, they need to be presented to the shooter in a "pop up" fashion. Kind of like the FBI's Hogan's Alley type set up. Just putting them up in a static target stand has little effect on a persons speed of recognizing the threat. It has to be used in a surprise or startle scenario.

I have no issues with using life like and realistic targets. I buy them myself all the time.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
On the issue of desensitizing, personally I don't believe a photograph will do it as the person practicing already knows it is just a piece of paper. Not to be gross or sound cruel, if you need to train someone to fire at a live person, a starting place would be live animals, goats, dogs; anything the person being trained will know full well is living. And even then, it won't work well as they will also know these are not human beings.

[sarcasm] So, I have a modest proposal. Put the Cleveland Kidnapper in a field and tell him to run.

Even that won't work. The shooter will know he isn't human. [/sarcasm]
Hopy, I think you have touched upon a greater subject than just targets. We are so far removed from the respect of gathering our own food and the sense of life and death associated with it. It should be a topic, in and of itself....

Reactions: Hopyard

·
Super Moderator
23,791 Posts
I wonder if that person would also find these REAL lifelike targets as distressing.
Well well well..............Maggie doesn't know how to type................so we'll never find out............... :yup:

·
Premium Member
7,805 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts