Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My concealed carry class teacher, never covered our states statutes covering covering the Self-Defense act. or the subject of "Brandishing of a firearm" or the differences between Felony Pointing a Firearm and the Misdemeanor Pointing a Firearm. And the Reckless Handling of a Firearm.
There are many small items that are not well known, that your states statutes cover, most don't find them out until it's really to late to help.

I admit i had no idea just how much trouble one can find themselves in if someone just calls a cop and says you pointed a firearm at them.

Also i admit i knew nothing in regards to my states firearm statutes, that i or anyone could be charged under.

And the fact is many Attorneys you hire to defend you, have very little understanding of these statutes.

But I can tell you who does really understand them, your District Attorneys and their prosecutors.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
For NC it's required that a minimum of 2 hours be spent on state laws pertaining to carry and use of deadly force.

The old adage "With every right comes responsibilities." really applies when you choose to exercise your 2A rights. You are responsible for knowing what the laws are and how they affect you.

Thankfully, you realized it and made the effort to educate yourself.

Kudos, many do not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For NC it's required that a minimum of 2 hours be spent on state laws pertaining to carry and use of deadly force.

The old adage "With every right comes responsibilities." really applies when you choose to exercise your 2A rights. You are responsible for knowing what the laws are and how they affect you.

Thankfully, you realized it and made the effort to educate yourself.

Kudos, many do not.
Well the State i reside in helped in my education, and that is another story.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
As with many things, gun laws vary widely state to state. Since you don't tell us where you're from it is hard to address your concerns. you might want to go to this site and punch in your state for more information on it's laws:

Handgunlaw.us

·
Registered
314 Posts
My CCW class also left me wanting for more information about my states laws, and laws in general. I had never heard about law against "brandishing" for almost a year after, and I still have to ask a friend and city cop what the laws actually are here.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Be interesting to know what state the OP is in.
My CHL class covered laws, statutes, etc, in depth. Also practical knowledge.
Guess it all depends on the instructor.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
It pays to shop around for competent instruction. Covering at least the basics of the law is a requirement in my mind. All 50 states and many more local entities have their codes online these days so self study for people who are motivated is pretty easy; plus we have each other here at DC to answer questions and solve problems. :smile:

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As with many things, gun laws vary widely state to state. Since you don't tell us where you're from it is hard to address your concerns. you might want to go to this site and punch in your state for more information on it's laws:

Handgunlaw.us
I never wanted anyone to address anything, i was just stating a few items i felt might not have been covered, in the CC class they attended.
Now if it was covered in your CC class that is good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My CCW class also left me wanting for more information about my states laws, and laws in general. I had never heard about law against "brandishing" for almost a year after, and I still have to ask a friend and city cop what the laws actually are here.
Major problem in finding out just what some item that is covered in the states statutes means, you need to find the answers after a cop has arrested you and booked you into a jail.
And your District Attorney charges you with a crime. Then it's the state who your dealing with.

·
Registered
289 Posts
In Illinois, my instructor went over Illinois law for four hours and then gave us each a booklet with (pun intended) bullet points on our state laws. Then when he was done, he strongly suggested we all read the actual laws ourselves on our own time. He stressed the fact that we should all be well read on it and to keep up with any changes. The laws are so long and full of so many statutes, there's no way it can be covered in a twelve hour class, let alone four.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My instructor only went over the basics, & encouraged us to read them ourselves. Honestly, I think it could be risky for an instructor to give too much detail on the finer points of the state laws during the cc class. You don't want a class full of people leaving thinking they know it all & don't need to look further. Just cover the basics & provide resources to find the details.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One item even my Attorney did not know, i found it out when i saw these extra letters and numbers included, in the court filings as to the states statute i was being charged with.
what the meaning was in my state if one is convicted of any of their major firearm statutes, and they are holders of the states CC permit.

Along with any prison time given and fines along with your court costs, the state can ask for $1,000 dollars also from you.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Akron-area firearms instructor arrested, more than 200 licenses to carry guns suspended; man who killed lot attendant was client

The instructor, Alvin Bagley, 57, of Fairlawn, is charged with tampering with records. Sheriff’s deputies say Bagley routinely certified people to carry weapons without conducting the required instructional standards.

Akron-area firearms instructor arrested, more than 200 licenses to carry guns suspended; man who killed lot attendant was client - Break News - Ohio

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
In Illinois, my instructor went over Illinois law for four hours and then gave us each a booklet with (pun intended) bullet points on our state laws. Then when he was done, he strongly suggested we all read the actual laws ourselves on our own time. He stressed the fact that we should all be well read on it and to keep up with any changes. The laws are so long and full of so many statutes, there's no way it can be covered in a twelve hour class, let alone four.
When you think about it, that's pretty sad isn't it?

·
Premium Member
5,008 Posts
One item even my Attorney did not know, i found it out when i saw these extra letters and numbers included, in the court filings as to the states statute i was being charged with.
what the meaning was in my state if one is convicted of any of their major firearm statutes, and they are holders of the states CC permit.

Along with any prison time given and fines along with your court costs, the state can ask for $1,000 dollars also from you.

OP it sounds like you may have found yourself on the wrong side of the law. If so I, and I'm sure your attorney would concur, would encourage you to not post anything on public forums.

Good luck to you, I have a feeling your are going to need it......

1 - 20 of 83 Posts