Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lazy with carrying but I am dedicated to being more consistent. I currently have a shield 9 but I am thinking of moving to a p320 compact. My question is if you are limited to 10 rounds do I stay at 9mm or should I move up to 40 or 45 if the capacity is similar? Or do I say screw it and carry the easiest thing like a lcr?

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
I've been lazy with carrying but I am dedicated to being more consistent. I currently have a shield 9 but I am thinking of moving to a p320 compact. My question is if you are limited to 10 rounds do I stay at 9mm or should I move up to 40 or 45 if the capacity is similar? Or do I say screw it and carry the easiest thing like a lcr?
Carry what you like, and can have with you at all times. For the purposes of SD, caliber is 3rd on the list to reliability and accessibility.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
I will echo above ..Carry what you want

Me if I live in some commie state I would just carry a single stack 45 like a sig 220 or 225 or such ..To me if you are stuck with 10 why get extra bulk ..But carry what you shoot best

·
Registered
828 Posts
As usual, glockman10mm is right on target. If I were in that situation (and I couldn't move :wink:), I'd likely either carry a lightweight commander in 45, a G26, or a G27. But carry what works best for you in your circumstances.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It's best to carry what you like as you are most likely going to actually carry it! I am in a non free state as well. I have the fortune to be able to carry a lot of different pistols. I will carry my Shield with MagGuts +1 and Federal HST 124gr standard pressure. Other times I will carry my Glock 33 with .357 sig or Shield .45
If you shoot your shield well then you have 9+1 on tap in a nice reliable package. No need to spend more for an extra round. If you do want to purchase another pistol then have fun as their are excellent choices out there. The G26, G27, G33, Sig P320 sc, Walther PPS M2, Kahr P9, MP 9 or .40c, .45 Shield, MP.45c ,Ruger LC9sPRO , just about every 1911 out there and many others. They won't do much more than what your shield already does but it's like changing shoes for some (I fit into the changing shoes category)

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
If I can stay at 10 rounds and just not go over, I'll still carry a 9mm. Its capabilities won't change just because you have less of them (any shortcomings won't change either). If it's a stupidly restrictive state and I'm just forced to go to/through it, I'm bringing the revolvers out. 5-6 rounds of .357/.44mag/Colt is nothing to sneer at when it hits center mass. Of course I'd prefer not to be hit by anything at all.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Magazines legally limited to a lower capacity than their size allow offend me.

I would probably carry a gun that let me carry full capacity magazines. With a 10 round limit, I'd be looking at 1911 in .45, Glock 30 (10 round max) or 36, Baby Glock in 9 or .40. XD Mod 2 in 45 with the short magazine. XDS9 with extended magazine (9 rounds). Or just a revolver.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I carried 7+1 and later on 8+1 in your state for 33 years, by choice when there was no limit on capacity. It's not as big a deal as some will make it out to be. 10+1 is more than sufficient, particularly with a practiced reload.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Most of the time I'm carrying 7+1 anyway. We have a 15 round mag limit in Colorado and that never affects me when it comes to handguns anyway. The largest mag capacity handgun I own is a 92FS.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Sounds like the perfect scenario for a Glock 27. Or if that's too big for you to comfortably carry, a Shield! And since you mentioned the LCR..... . There ain't nothing wrong with that either!

Reactions: Tundra5.7

·
Registered
309 Posts
If I was limited to 10 rounds or even 7, I would CCW my lightweight Commander in .45 ACP or I would just CCW my S&W 686+ 3".
When I go those routes, I never feel under gunned or feel that I am lacking in firepower.
On a final note, there are many times I just CCW my S&W 640 with only 5 rounds of 357 magnum and don't give it a second thought about being compromised.
I have to chuckle to myself when I hear of a non LEO armed to go get milk and diapers with a pistol that holds a 17 round magazine and 4 extra magazines as back up.
To each his own and I would never question their decision, but that is just a bit much IMHO.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Carry what you will comfortably carry everyday. Obviously this choice should be reliable and you should be accurate with it. Lot of fine choices in the 10 round and under range here to choose from.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Carry what you like, and can have with you at all times. For the purposes of SD, caliber is 3rd on the list to reliability and accessibility.
^^^Spot on as usual!^^^

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
My edc is a jframe or lcp....5 or 7 rounds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am lucky to be able to own many different platforms and select from probably 4 depending on area going to, clothing and weather but it began with 9mm and now that could be Glock , 43, 26 , 19 .

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Carry three ...j-frames!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think the 10 rounds is a stupid law,. I have no idea what it is for,.... what it will prevent ??

I also wouldn't change to a lager caliber,. 9mm is efficient and easier to shoot. safe the money for training.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts