Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if when you unload a SD cartridge that has been in the chamber for say a week, do you put it back in rotation by putting it back in your SD magazine or does having it stuck in the chamber do something to it that could make it unreliable.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Barring extremes of time and/or conditions, I've not heard of it being a problem. But others may have more robust experiences/information than I.

However if you are chambering/unchambering regularly, such as if you carry with one in the chamber but remove and rechamber it daily/regularly, then you do have to be careful. In addition to minor scuffing of the case which might eventually become severe enough to cause a problem with ejecting, etc., you can also eventually cause a problem with the seating of the bullet in the case, which can mess with powder pressures. Personally I do not know of an evidence based number of times to stay below in doing such a thing, but certainly if there is a visible abnormality in the round compared to a fresh one -- different seating height, or the bullet is obviously shifting back and forth, etc., then I wouldn't be looking to shoot it.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I don't unchamber rounds in my SD Guns. The only time I do is to enter my Membership range to comply with the Unloaded and Bagged weapons, until I get on the range. That round is the first one shot. No children at home and all loaded guns in the house do not get unloaded for any reason.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
As others have said just being in the chamber should not cause any problems. I only take my gun out of its holster once every week or two. At that time I wipe the gun down, and remove the round from the chamber when I do this. If the round looks beat up I put it in a empty mag and when the mag is full I shoot it up at the next range day. I shoot a bullet with exposed lead on its nose so it seems to get beat up before it shows wear on the case. The new bullet gets put at the bottom of the mag. This has me going through a box of ammo only once every year and a half or so. The wear is from chambering the bullet though, not from just being in there. DR

·
Registered
323 Posts
ammo can keep for decades and longer as long as it is not damaged.

but then i shoot and reload. so no ammo stays un-shot for very long anyhow.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
It can sit in the chamber pretty much indefinitely. Be careful about repeatedly rechambering the same round, especially in 9mm. After a couple loadings, put it in the can for range ammo.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
There are two risks of repeatedly chambering a semi-auto cartridge. The first is bullet set-back due to repeatedly hitting the feed ramp while loading; this can change firing pressure as mentioned above. The second risk is damage to the wafer or disk of ignition powder in the primer cup due to getting slammed into the chamber multiple times. Forensic analysis of a dud round that cost a LEO his life found he had repeatedly chambered/unchambered the same cartridge and the primer charge became non-functional due to repeated jarring.

Rechambering the same round multiple times will work most of the time. What I do is keep an old peanut butter jar by the safe, and SD rounds that come out of the chamber (even once) go in the jar for practice with my carry ammo. Only fresh rounds go in the chamber. I store my SD guns loaded, so I go through less than a box of SD ammo this way per year, which seems pretty minimal to minimize risk of an ammo failure on the first shot.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
I am curious if when you unload a SD cartridge that has been in the chamber for say a week, do you put it back in rotation by putting it back in your SD magazine or does having it stuck in the chamber do something to it that could make it unreliable.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Why do you unload your weapon?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I signed up for a weekly tactical pistol league and I unload before starting the class. I don't want to shoot my SD cartridges there.

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
Unless it has been noticeably pushed back into the case(bullet setback) put it back in the mag.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I don't unchamber rounds in my SD Guns. The only time I do is to enter my Membership range to comply with the Unloaded and Bagged weapons, until I get on the range. That round is the first one shot. No children at home and all loaded guns in the house do not get unloaded for any reason.
This ^^ is my situation as well.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Am I the only one that cleans their carry gun?

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
I unload for dry fire practice. When I rechamber a round, I ride the slide which takes away the setback possibility.
I also occasionally clean my guns even if I haven't been to the range.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Just a heads up. Not saying I agree or disagree but there are gun manufacturers that strongly discourage "riding the slide " the round dose not seat properly causing problems and in addition the slide can fail to go completely into battery causing lite primer strikes and, or misfires. Like I said I am just repeating what I've read and heard so don't get made at the messenger.

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Just a heads up. Not saying I agree or disagree but there are gun manufacturers that strongly discourage "riding the slide " the round dose not seat properly causing problems and in addition the slide can fail to go completely into battery causing lite primer strikes and, or misfires. Like I said I am just repeating what I've read and heard so don't get made at the messenger.
Frankly, I've not heard of any caveats from the manufacturers of the guns I own discouraging "riding the slide" (P30, P99, P226). I've never had a problem of a round chambered and be out of battery or have light primer strikes. I've done this for almost 20 years.

What brands discourage this? I'm not being mad or disrespectful of the messenger, I respectfully would like to know.

ETA: Riding the slide is done in my own home to save my expensive premium SD ammo from damage as i practice dry fire often. Dummy rounds used during dry fire practice are not subject to "riding the slide". In a combat, (defensive situation), riding the slide is not recommended.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts