Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold a 9mm Shield 2 months ago because I wanted to keep my Gen 4 23, didn't want to buy a 4th kind of ammo.
BUT, now the 45 cal Shield is out there & I love 45's, why shouldn't I buy one? Or should I?
Common sense says to me get a 40cal. Shield! That way I have 40 for both.
But I love 4.
Good reasons/advantages for either? What would you get?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Go for it. Handgun wise, I have .45, .40, .38, 9x19, 9x18 and .22.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Buy them all, you can eat next month.

Personally, I'm down to one single handgun caliber, 9mm. I really like it that way, but that's just me.

Thing is, I can see having 9mm for the relatively low cost of ammo, and then maybe either 40cal OR 45acp, since they're both a bit more pricey. I used to have both 9mm and 45ACP guns. But I found that I just didn't like buying ammo to feed guns for both calibers.

With just 9mm's I can go out and shoot up 500 rounds in a session and not feel too bad about the $$$ going up in smoke. But double that for 45 ammo? Well, I would be shooting a lot less, that's for sure.

It's all personal preference though, I can't knock anyone else for doing their own thing.

The important thing is to shoot what you like to shoot and are the best with, and practice as much as you can afford to practice. Can't really go wrong there.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
I am a big fan of multiple guns in the same caliber! In your case a .40 Shield does make sense. IF you carried had a .45 then the .45 Shield makes sense. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another thing I am thinking is that the end result of 45 vs 40 isn't that much difference? Or is it.
And I know what people think, that 9mm can do what the other 4's can but won't go into that.
Just liking a single stack for carry.
Otherwise I should just carry the 23.
Most of the time my LCP is with me.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I tend to focus on one handgun caliber and one rifle caliber .. that's just me.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Your asking this bunch if you should buy a new pistol??? Ah just looked at your join date, your excused.

Reactions: franco45

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I would pass on the .45 Shield, because it's new. Give it some time to get the bugs out.

Try the .40 Shield before you buy, if possible. It might be snappier than the Glock you're used to. In that size and weight class, the 9mm might make more sense.

Reactions: Bigsteve113

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I'm a big fan of caliber diversity, in case of another panic. I'm also a fan of having an assortment of guns in different sizes. If you're the kind of person that gets hung up on which caliber is best, I suggest you figure out which one that is, then buy guns to match.

Reactions: Bigsteve113

·
Registered
368 Posts
We all have different wants and needs. I find joy in one wife and multiple calibers.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Do your part... Help the economy grow...Buy it :smile:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts