Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am about to have a small windfall ( not taxes had to pay inn lol ) and am going to spend around 1k or less on a new pistol ( no revolvers lol ) and am considering a kimber cdp pro or compact , a s&w pd ( scandiwhateaver frame lol) , maby a sig 245 or 226 in 357 sig , or i donno , as a note i have plenty of " pocket sized " mouseguns and ratguns , tho i am considering anoter kahr in either 40 or 45. What are your thoughts .. it doesnt have to be pure compact but the ability to ccw is also a consideration ( i like full size 1911s except for the weight so the s&w may well win lol )

edited to add i may well pick up some m4 style poodle shooter instead of another pistol too so thoughts on them appreciated too

updated at bottom

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Well - I'd vote you a SIG - but then I would, wouldn't I? :rolleyes: :18:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Get two Glocks. :smile:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
If you decide on a Kimber, any Kimber, get an older original series (internal extractor) model or acquire a new current production model. Kimber has gone back to the original design and started manufacturing Autos with internal extractors.

Just a tip to help eliminate any "possible" problems involving FTF and FTE issues with external extractor models.

Let the Flames begin....

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
1911 sounds good to me SA fully loaded

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
I have the Pro CDP and it's a great carry piece.. The USP Compact Variant 1 in either 40 or 45 is a good choice as well. The Sig 220 in 45, or the 226/229 platform is a good choice also..
If you like tupperware.the Glock 29 in 10mm or the other Glock products are a good choice.. the XD 40 is a great deal with the holster mag carrier combo .. All of the above are good traid bait if you ever see something else you can' live without.\Personally I love to buy used, but it's your money, and you work hard for it.
W'll all be awaiting your range reports from what ever you purchase.. If I can help you, let me know...

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
The best 1911 CCW piece going for under a grand like $850-$860 that is not on your list but I highly recommend is the CZ/Dan Wesson C-BOB. That is a sweet gun to shoot, carry, and look at and a very high quality piece! If I didn't already buy my Colt with a Bob Tail I would be going with the DW.

Next would be the Kimber CDP and I agree with "los" on the internal extractor and the new Kimber's have them, if it doesn't it is older stock. Either the Pro Carry or Compact? hard choice! for CCW I like the compact CCO set up for easier concealment but I like the Pro Carry for shooting.

Sig's and Kahr's are cool too I guess and both have there place! and think you would do fine with either, but a 1911! well, is a 1911! and they are hard to beat.

Ti.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
JT
Your a man after my own heart.
Mike

·
Registered
262 Posts
2 Service Grade M1 Garands from the CMP, one for shooting and one safe queen. For $1k you can pick up both rifles, several hundred rounds of ball ammo, and Band of Brothers on DVD.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sig, 1911, Glock, XD. They're all fine guns, and come in the calibur you're looking for. I'd say the deciding factore would be:
1. What features you are looking for (DA/SA, Manual safety, etc.)
2. And more importantly, which gun feels better in your hand.
Personaly, I'd say go for the Sig (my P220 fits like a glove), but that's me and my hands.
Either way, I don't think you'll be disappointed. As always, just my $.02.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Kimber is now advertising a return to the internal extractor. Not on everything but I do believe the CDP has it. Trick will be getting a new one and not an old one still in stock with a dealer. If getting it new, I'd make it a condition of the sale and be prepared for the delay when they have to look again.

You'll hear lots of advise but in the end you'll lay your eyes on something and/or put your hands on it, and it'll be all she wrote.

God Bless
Gideon

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Unlike other Raptors, the Ultra Raptor II features a traditional (internal) extractor.
Just took this off the Kimber site, apparently they're adding the internal extractor to the ultra raptor II. Doesn't indicate they're adding it to anything else though...not sure...

Gideon

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I love my P245 but for serious "social work" gimme the H&K USP 45.

SPEAKING of which, can anybody post a comparison pic (side by side) of an H&K USP45c to a Colt Commander 45? I hate to start a new thread on this, but I'm really curious and thinking of another purchase. Comparing size of a compact 45 USP to a Commander 45 so can somebody do that? I'm at school and can't do the search.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
ExSoldier762 said:
I love my P245 but for serious "social work" gimme the H&K USP 45.

SPEAKING of which, can anybody post a comparison pic (side by side) of an H&K USP45c to a Colt Commander 45? I hate to start a new thread on this, but I'm really curious and thinking of another purchase. Comparing size of a compact 45 USP to a Commander 45 so can somebody do that? I'm at school and can't do the search.
The biggest difference will be in the Grip thickness. The USPc45 is much larger than that of a 1911 equipped with standard grip panels. I know, I use to carry a USPC45 and sold it for my Kimber UC. As far as length, the Comm will probably be a little longer. But length should not affect concealibility.

The grip size/width difference makes all the difference , at least for me, when it comes to a perfect CCW. Plus, you can't switch panels (make them thinner) on the HK.

Just my .02

1 - 20 of 31 Posts