Defensive Carry banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor asked me a question about the last time he was at the range. He is a newer shooter but seemed ok the time we went to the rage. He has a 1911, SR22, and Beretta 92 that he has never had any issues with. His question comes from shooting a coworker's g23. He said the brass was coming over his head and even had a couple even hit his head and face. I thought he might have been limp wristing but wasn't sure. We might get to the range this weekend where I could give more details but looking for a place to start. So I thought I'd ask those more knowledgeable than me what might be happening. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help,
Mark

·
Registered
63 Posts
Glocks typically throw the brass over my right shoulder. It's not unusual for an occasional one to hit my head/face. I don't see a problem with what your neighbor experienced unless just about every round hits your face.

·
Super Moderator
19,389 Posts
It's not uncommon for Glocks to launch empties at the shooter's head. Limp-wristing is occasionally the problem, but limp-wristing a Glock also puts you on the threshold of feeding and ejection problems which you're not reporting. The cure is frequently effected by tuning or changing the extractor and possibly the ejector. The face angle on the latter has a lot to do with the trajectory of the empties as they're kicked out. I've also read where the recoil spring system on the Gen 4s has something to do with the problem, but that seems secondary to me.

Aftermarket extractors are not expensive, so he could try replacing it, or just take it to a competent gunsmith. Should be a pretty easy fix.

·
Banned
747 Posts
I'll offer my opinion/experience after owning about 30 or so Glocks over the years and perhaps 100K rounds down range in them.

Glocks are sprung pretty heavily when new (its a European gun, designed to shoot hotter European ammo). Combine that with bunny fart American loads and a newb likely limp wristing it, and you have a recipe for "brass to face", barely ejecting, and brass to head.

I ALWAYS shoot hot ammo through a brand new gun for at least the first 200 rounds to settle the springs in.

I almost guarantee that if you shot Speer Gold Dot 124+P in 9MM or Speer Gold Dot 165 grain in .40, and had a proper, non limp wristed grip, those empty shell casings will be shot out to the side 20 feet away and wont be impacting your friends face/head.

Yes Glock does adjust springs and extractors and ejectors for those that ask, but 8 times out 10 if you just shoot a hotter ammo and hand the gun to someone that knows what they are doing, the gun works fine as intended.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts