Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to decide what width to get for my (first) gun belt. All the belts I currently own are 1.25". Looks like my casual pants will accommodate a 1.5" belt. I want to make sure that I get an adequate belt, but my dress pants (which I seldom wear nowadays) will only accommodate 1.25" belts.

Have you all found that a (good quality) 1.25" (gun) belt is adequate?

I'll be carrying an XD SubCompact 9mm and perhaps my XD(M) 9mm.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Checkout "The Beltman", his belts are legendary. He makes 1.25" belts that I'm sure would be good for supporting a gun, depending on size. If you don't wear dress pants much, why get your gunbelt sized for them.

I'd go with a 1.5" belt, it's the most common size that most holsters are set-up for and can support just about any size gun. The XDM would probably be a bit on the large/heavy side for a 1.25" belt.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
I have used all 1.5 inch belts, and they seem to work perfectly...any smaller and they get flimsy, any wider and they don't fit the jeans or shorts. OMO

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I have both, and find them to work well. If you find you are carrying a lot of weight on your belt. Try the ol suspenders over a t-shirt and under your untucked carry shirt. This helps with not having to cinch the belt so tight that you can't breath.

And for those of us who's body type has gone from a Y shape to an 0 shape.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Do you already have a holster or two? Some (C-TAC for example) come with clips customized for a particular belt width. Check to make sure any belt you buy will fit through the clips (or buy clips to fit your new belt).

I wear a 1.25' belt and it is plenty sturdy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you already have a holster or two? Some (C-TAC for example) come with clips customized for a particular belt width. Check to make sure any belt you buy will fit through the clips (or buy clips to fit your new belt).
I'm considering purchasing an MTAC and am aware of the need to specify belt width. That is one reason for my question.

I am using the Kydex that came with the XD SubCompact (getting use to wearing it at home while I wait on my CHL) , and actually like it, but I'm in the market now for an IWB and may as well get tuckable while I'm at it - thus my interest in the MTAC (and I know there are others as well).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have used all 1.5 inch belts, and they seem to work perfectly...any smaller and they get flimsy, any wider and they don't fit the jeans or shorts. OMO
That is what I was wondering. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you don't wear dress pants much, why get your gunbelt sized for them.
I wouldn't.... unless feedback from you guys indicates the 1.25 is adequate, then I might.

I'd go with a 1.5" belt, it's the most common size that most holsters are set-up for and can support just about any size gun. The XDM would probably be a bit on the large/heavy side for a 1.25" belt.
Brings up another question. If I buy a holster sized for a 1.5" belt, is it that much of a problem to use it with a 1.25"? Maybe not... I using the Kydex that came with the XD SubCompact with a 1.25" belt now (because that is the only width belt I currently own) and it does just fine... rides nice and close. I forget I'm packing (around the house... while waiting on my CHL... even when I leave the house I wear the empty holster, just to get more time with it, to get used to it and to discover any gotchas now before I start packing in public).

Thanks for the suggestions. I visited Beltman's web site last night.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Al my holsters have slots or loops for 1.5" belts. I have found that 1.25" belts work fine. A few of my pants will not take 1.5" belts, but the 1.25 work well.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
I went and got one of each custom made. 1.25" and 1.5", that way I'm covered every which way...pants loop sizes and holster loop sizes. I wear the 1.25" mostly for IWB carry, and my 1.5" belt works with most of my jeans, and I use the thicker mainly for OWB carry.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I only use 1 1/2" belts for a gun belt. In dress slacks I pocket carry. :hand10:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have both but I much prefer the 1-1/2" belts. My 1.25" is only for those RARE occasions when the loops are too narrow for the 1-1/2" belts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone.

Looks like the 1.5" gets the nod. And I understand that to be covered I also need a 1.25". I will buy a 1.5" gun belt, and for near future I will see how my existing 1.25" belts work for those pants that require them.

·
Banned
480 Posts
Just make sure the belt is FIRM. Dickies makes a great belt for dress pants, hard to beat for the price too.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
If I spent a lot of time in slacks or suits I'd go with 1.25". It would be nice for my Khaki's and Chino's but I can get by with 1.5" on those so I have two belts which are both 1.5".

·
Registered
23 Posts
I believe that you should wear the widest belt your loops will accept. It keeps the holster from moving around, aids in re-holstering, and has less "travel" when drawing. A lot of holsters accept 1 3/4 widths. I wear a Galco Summer comfort IWB and it comes with 1 3/4 loops. My custom made "Little Bear" was made with the same.

I wear a Wilderness Orig Instructors belt. It 1 3/4 inches and 5 stitch. Stiff enough for IWB carry pliable enough for everyday wear, unless you wear slacks/dress pants. Living in SW Florida, cargos are the norm for me, but 1 3/4 will fit my jeans as well. But then again "dressy" in So. Florida is different than anywhere else in the country.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I wear almost exclusively 1.75 inch belts.

If you get a Beltman, you can also use it as a backup weapon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts