Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guns...shumns...

What are you doing to make sure you are physically fit and have endurance.

What are you doing so you can move explosively? So you can run from trouble and have it stumble after you in a vain hope of catching you?

What are you doing so you can hit someone hard enough that they believe they have been shot?

What are you doing so you are fit and healthy in the event you are shot, because healthy people tolerate injury better than unhealthy people?

Discuss.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Krav maga:smile:

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
P90X, free weights, and running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love my 1911, but...

Judo. I am 54 and started judo with my sons several months ago. 3 nights a week we get totally "smoked" in class; a great work out, an opportunity to go as "full force" as I think possible without actually getting into a street fight; to face a person and practice applying repeatable principals to control their force and energy. Of course it's not "perfect" fight training; but then again, after a life in the infantry and several deployments, I am not one to believe we actually have to shoot live ammo at each other to "learn something useful." It's a sport with rules, just like having a CC permit distinguishes us from the criminal: weu obey the rules, the law. In the dojo, you throw the opponent to a mat. On the street, you throw him onto concrete... or maybe a fire hydrant. It depends on his "threat"...

Anyway, Judo! It's fun, and it reminds me to stay out of fights!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Great question, so many "gun guys" are in horrific shape it seems. Circuit training with dumbells and bowflex 3x a week, sporadic jogging.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
8 oz curls with my coffee cup:redface:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well, having put on an additional 20 lbs over the last 3 years I've started my program to get back to "race weight" before I turn 40 next year.

My program includes nothing geared specifically toward self defense but I can't see that it would hurt. Basically I'm doing weights for about 45 minutes followed by aerobics for 30 min. In a few weeks, I'll up the aerobics time to 60 to 90min.

Now that you mention it, some plyometrics might be a good thing to add into the mix. In the past I've done some of those box-aerobics classes which do some jumping around a punching and such. Signing up for a martial art would be great but it's just impossible with the amount of other obligations I've got right now.

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
8,501 Posts
Over the past week I've been practicing the cookie chomp and pie munch pretty hard. My wife and kids are going out of town on Monday to visit family. I'll have lost five pounds by the end of the week.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well, Sport, lemme tell you somethin'.

There is absolutely NO way that this old codger is going toe to toe with a strappin' 20 year old, no way whatsoever!. I am pushing my 69th year, served in the military and did way over three decades as a cop and believe from experience I can render a valid call on what I can and can't do anymore.

Hit someone so he feels as tho he's been shot? Yeah with a hammer or two by four, darn sure not with my fist's anymore tho.....Oh yeah, I still know how, but the price one pays when age begins to catch up renders it simply not worth the pain. More so, one never knows if an underlying condition just might 'end it all' if so engaged.

I don't know a thing about the hereafter, but I do know about the here and now, intend to keep it that way, and therefore I intend to 'equalize' the equation, hence my 645. And I am NOT going to risk an assailiant getting it from me!

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
What are you doing to make sure you are physically fit and have endurance.

I always keep my gas tank topped off, it can go for hours.:yup:

What are you doing so you can move explosively? So you can run from trouble and have it stumble after you in a vain hope of catching you?

See previous answer, using premium gas can give that extra zip to 3600+ pounds of moving metal.:wave:

What are you doing so you can hit someone hard enough that they believe they have been shot?

I keep .45 230 gr in my Glock...it hits hard! :comeandgetsome:

What are you doing so you are fit and healthy in the event you are shot, because healthy people tolerate injury better than unhealthy people?

Approaching my mid 60's, I'm probably in a bit of a jam compared to you younger fellows, but that's life. My mind thinks my body can move pretty quickly and take on all the BG's, unfortunately the body isn't listening and eventually, reality sets it...what doesn't hurt, doesn't work.:ziplip:
I do try to walk an mile or two several times a week.
:22a:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I work out one to three times a week and try to walk one to three miles every other day, weather permiting. But that is not for self defense that is so I can keep the heart doctor happy and he will let me chase elk. As I am getting close to seventy I will not run or go hand to hand. Read into that what you want.

Semper fi

·
Registered
166 Posts
Full work out routine

I get all the work out I need from the below.

1)Running: my mouth:aargh4:
2)Pushing: my luck:danceban:
3)Jumping: to conclusions
4)Dodging:responsibility
5)Slipping:away from work early:theyareontome:
6)Dancing: doing the happy dance every pay day:danceban:
7)lifting: my arse out of bed to the recliner
8)Running: to the fridge
9)Push-ups: Food up to my mouth:bier:
10)Curls:Curling up with the wife.:hand10:

Laugh lots, love often, and defend the irreplaceable.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
MA/SD training, semi workout 2 times a week, but most of my physical training and endurance comes from my job of being in animal control now (retired military) also. If you think you've had a work out, come fight a 50 - 100lb dog who's intent on eating you for breakfast and fighting you all the way to the truck, you'll think workout LOL LMBO:wink:

No, we don't have a tranq gun yet, we will next year when we get our own shelter for the city built, even then, you have legal liabilities to worry about with that type of weapon especially in a medium size city now a days where everyone is lawsuit happy.

·
Registered
631 Posts
These kinds of threads are funny. Either you're one of the young who hasn't realized that there are older folks in the world or you're one of those older folks.

For you young types: Stay active but watch your injury management. Getting hurt when you're young means you can mostly shrug it off - until you get old. Then those injuries come back to haunt you. Overloads of testosterone don't help. Neither does "over preparation" for TEOTWAWKI fantasies. Stay active, but do it smart.

For us old types, injuries are a thing to live with as best we can. Bad backs, knees, hips, etc are part and parcel of life. We need to get active again (if we aren't already) and stay active at a level which allows us to manage our health and live longer. Lots of low impact cardio works for me.

Where you draw the line between younger and older is a personal choice. Until nature draws it for you.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Chasing my toddler, skiing 2-3 days a week (charging hard through the bumps n chutes), and lifting those $1 double cheeseburgers from BK..they can be heavy. I know that last one is counter productive.:embarassed:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts