Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and a friend where discussing over ONE & ONE ONLY handgun that we would own for the rest of our lives. Which would you chose? And why??

·
Registered
822 Posts
So me and a friend where discussing over ONE & ONE ONLY handgun that we would own for the rest of our lives. Which would you chose? And why??

I already purchased them...........SR9c and the LC9s for my wife. Both guns offer exactly what we were looking for. For me, a compact defensive carry gun with 10rds as well as a nightstand gun with 17rds. Love the fit, finish and how the gun fits in my hand. For her, a compact 9 that fits her hand great. Both shoot excellent and have amazing triggers. They are Rugers, made in the USA, and the price for both was on point. :congrats:

·
Premium Member
36,752 Posts
A Smith and Wesson Model 29, the (used-to-be) most powerful handgun in the world, which can blow somebody's head clean off.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
My 442 because it can go in any clothes, it's light, and incase of injury can be used one handed.
I fully concur with this decision. Personally, I own several revolvers, as well as several semi-autos. The revolver is about as foolproof as you can get, under less than desireable conditions. Whereby I can visualize the semi-autos fouling up or malfunctioning under adverse conditions, meaning down and dirty, jungle fighting, lack of lubrication, etc.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Third vote for 442. I'd rather a service size for home defense but if I only get one it's my 442 pro moonclip (or whatever they are calling it today). Multiple ways to load it, acceptably accurate for self defense, hides easy, shoots fairly easy.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
<sigh>

Not this again.

The answer really, really depends on the scenario. How you get to this "only one gun" scenario, and what the rest of the world is like, and what your anticipated needs for the rest of your life are.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts

·
Registered
20,089 Posts
I don't know, but the Ruger Blackhawk Convertible would be a real top contender.
357/38 and 9mm.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I don't know how much trigger-time either the OP nor his friend have, but I WOULD NOT suggest a 442/642 as the one do-all, be-all handgun for a novice shooter. It takes PRACTICE to shoot effectively. It's semi-painful to practice enough to become proficient. And it's a 5 shot, tiny-(fixed) sighted, DAO snubbie.

Yet a 4" Model 10...wouldn't bother me at all. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
Its no 1911, but if I could only choose one, it would be my G19.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Registered
368 Posts
I would choose my S&W 640. Why? The combat grips (came with Badger and rubber) fit my small hand perfectly, the trigger is butter-smooth, it was made pre-lock, the all-steel construction makes it OK to shoot even moderate .357 mag loads if desired, the XS Big Dot sight I had installed makes it easy to get on target, it can be carried IWB or pocket and the finish is so nice that when I bought it I thought initially it was nickel.

IMGP3458b.JPG IMGP3463.aJPG.jpg

1 - 20 of 67 Posts