Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm somewhat new around here, been reading for quite sometime, but not posted much. I wanted some opinions on a situation. I've got a buddy who I thought I knew pretty well. He is a big hunter, has a pistol license but doesn't carry. He's the "I have guns for hunting" kind of guy. I usually go to a weekly event at a local restaurant/sports bar with my wife, him, and a couple other people that are more of acquaintances than friends. Recently he's been making a big and somewhat uncomfortably loud deal over my concealed carry, since he found out I had one. Yes, I have all the proper licensing and permits etc, and am breaking no laws or statutes. I'm not sure why all of a sudden he feels the need to even mention it. I usually try to change the subject or ask him to lower his voice. Today he sends me a message asking essentially stating, if you want to continue to join us, please leave your concealed at home. I asked him why he felt that way (perhaps i had said something or there was a misunderstanding that made him uncomfortable). His reasoning is "Because it isn't necessary to have at *establishment*. At no point have I ever thought "I don't feel safe and I need my gun". If that was the case, I wouldn't go there anymore". I informed him that I don't carry a concealed firearm because I am scared, I carry it because should a situation arise that requires the defense of my life or those I care about, I want to be prepared to do so. Part of me says to stand on principle. If that's the way he feels I won't join them. I'm perfectly fine to find a new group to attend with or simply go with my wife. My concern is that if I do go with other people that he will make a public deal and be very loud about it. I'm irritated as he has no right to tell me when and where I can carry my firearm when in accordance with state and local law. Am I overreacting and should I just leave it at home and not care? What are your thoughts here guys. I'm interested to hear others opinions on the situation.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I quit telling anyone that I carry. My (ex) wife and kids didn't even know. I don't tell them about my superman underwear, so why would I tell them about my other wardrobe choices?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ask him why he is scared.

Does he not trust the gun or your weapons handling? Have you done anything in the past that would warrant him being uncomfortable with you having a firearm?

I personally would tell him to go kick rocks. If he has a problem then he can go hang out somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-G920V

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I quit telling anyone that I carry. My wife and kids don't even know. I don't tell them about my superman underwear, so why would I tell them about my other wardrobe choices?
Like I said, I thought I knew this guy. He was in my wedding for goodness sake. He was one of the character witnesses on my concealed application even.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ask him why he is scared.

Does he not trust the gun or your weapons handling? Have you done anything in the past that would warrant him being uncomfortable with you having a firearm?

I personally would tell him to go kick rocks. If he has a problem then he can go hang out somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-G920V
Not that I'm aware of. That's why I asked him for his reasoning for such a request, that perhaps there was something I did to make him uncomfortable. I don't think he's ever even seen my holster of the weapon that I carry.

·
Registered
480 Posts
1 you are doing nothing wrong. If you are with other friends and he makes a scene. Thats on him and he will look like an ass. He is not in any authoritarian position to impose any type of restrictions on you. Continue to carry and be responsible leave him to his own opinions.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Hey guys. I'm somewhat new around here, been reading for quite sometime, but not posted much. I wanted some opinions on a situation. I've got a buddy who I thought I knew pretty well. He is a big hunter, has a pistol license but doesn't carry. He's the "I have guns for hunting" kind of guy. I usually go to a weekly event at a local restaurant/sports bar with my wife, him, and a couple other people that are more of acquaintances than friends. Recently he's been making a big and somewhat uncomfortably loud deal over my concealed carry, since he found out I had one. Yes, I have all the proper licensing and permits etc, and am breaking no laws or statutes. I'm not sure why all of a sudden he feels the need to even mention it. I usually try to change the subject or ask him to lower his voice. Today he sends me a message asking essentially stating, if you want to continue to join us, please leave your concealed at home. I asked him why he felt that way (perhaps i had said something or there was a misunderstanding that made him uncomfortable). His reasoning is "Because it isn't necessary to have at *establishment*. At no point have I ever thought "I don't feel safe and I need my gun". If that was the case, I wouldn't go there anymore". I informed him that I don't carry a concealed firearm because I am scared, I carry it because should a situation arise that requires the defense of my life or those I care about, I want to be prepared to do so. Part of me says to stand on principle. If that's the way he feels I won't join them. I'm perfectly fine to find a new group to attend with or simply go with my wife. My concern is that if I do go with other people that he will make a public deal and be very loud about it. I'm irritated as he has no right to tell me when and where I can carry my firearm when in accordance with state and local law. Am I overreacting and should I just leave it at home and not care? What are your thoughts here guys. I'm interested to hear others opinions on the situation.
So if I'm reading this correctly, he's got a concealed carry permit as well, but he's mad that you're using yours? That's a weird situation!

Reactions: gen3

·
Registered
598 Posts
OK, Consider this advice from a random internet stranger - If you carry concealed, unless you let him frisk you, carry on with your business and he doesn't need to know if you're carrying or not!

For myself, I'm with Rhinoman - I don't tell anyone that I carry, they don't need to know!

Reactions: Rhinoman

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I would never associate with an idiot like that. The first evidence that the guy is an ahole was when he talked about it in public. I never tell people when I carry or don't.

Next week he will tell you he doesn't like the color of your shirt.....because it isn't necessary to wear blue shirts at:_____________________

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I quit telling anyone that I carry. My (ex) wife and kids didn't even know. I don't tell them about my superman underwear, so why would I tell them about my other wardrobe choices?
I tell nobody other than my wife and kids who also carry. As Steve Irwin said "Alligators are easy, they are going to kill and eat you. People are harder, they sometimes pretend to be your friends first." The only others I discuss it with are the folks on this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
If you speak about your ability to carry then you must accept and be okay with others knowing. Announce to the group you carry legally and will continue to carry legally whenever you feel. Once he realizes or even thinks you are okay with others knowing you carry he will drop the issue and it will be put behind you with time. If the place you carry is legal then he has no legal ability to stop you. It is time to quickly understand he is not a friend.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I have a brother in law like him. It doesn't matter what I do he wants to voice his opinion about it. I would say carry on with what your doing. just sit at another table. The others can choose who they want to sit with.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hate to say it, but I'd put some distance between you and him. He is probably telling others you are carrying as well. The state might even contact him for character witness at renewal time. Sounds like you don't want that. He has already stated that your inclusion and friendship hinges on your compliance. That kind can't be reasoned with so don't.

That is just me and my 2 cents though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So if I'm reading this correctly, he's got a concealed carry permit as well, but he's mad that you're using yours? That's a weird situation!
Yes he has a carry concealed permit. Every permit in our county is carry concealed, however when you first get it, they are limited to hunting and target use. You have to jump through some hoops (which I did) to get them unrestricted. I'm not sure if his is unrestricted or not.

I find his logic highly flawed anyway, if you only carry if you are going somewhere you felt threatened, why would you go there in the first place?

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
You could offer him a deal. That you will leave your gun at home, if he'll leave his opinionated big mouth at home.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hate to say it, but I'd put some distance between you and him. He is probably telling others you are carrying as well. The state might even contact him for character witness at renewal time. Sounds like you don't want that. He has already stated that your inclusion and friendship hinges on your compliance. That kind can't be reasoned with so don't.

That is just me and my 2 cents though.

Agreed. As does my wife. Sounds like we'll be sitting somewhere else, and finding some new people to sit with. This isn't his first example of acting like a jerk lately. Just the latest and final example. I have no need in my life for people who bring drama and problems like this.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts