Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Real situation and want some opinions on how differently others would have handled this experience. Brief background: 11:30pm, 2 kids (3 & 5) sleeping opposite side of house, wife in bed reading, I am in bathroom packing for a business trip (leaving early in the morning). We both hear what sounds like our pool screen door close (which is outside our bedroom window and blinds are closed). We continue to hear noise / rumbling outside on our pool deck, and again some noise which sounds like someone /thing outside our window. Sounds continue on for another minute and also seem to perhaps be now coming from the side of our house. Here is what my action was: turned off all interior lights, turned on exterior floods, armed myself with a firearm and tactical flashlight, and made multiple but quick attempts to gain visibility to the pool deck by looking through the blinds and moving across the house to gain a different angle. Nothing was observed despite still hearing noises. At this time approximately 5 minutes had passed so I called 911. Impressively 2 LEO arrived in under 2 minutes and began to sweep my property. After about 4 minutes the 911 operator instructed me to secure my firearm and exit the house to meet the officers. They had found the cause...a raccoon that honestly must have pushed 40 lbs. My question to everyone is what would you have done? As much as I have taken a ribbing by everyone, I still can't justify exploring this sound at night by myself with a wife and two kids. Thoughts.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have the wife call 911 while I collect the kids, and bring them to the safe room. Wait for the cavalry to arrive.

I would've secured my firearm... in my holster.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Exactly what you should do...no contact until a thug tries to enter the house....you didn't mention it, but did you leave your children in the rooms on the opposite side of the house ?? It would be tragic indeed had someone broken into the house, the children were awakened, and entered the shooting zone....possibly very tragic...just a thought...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I can't think of any good reason for going outside in that situation.

And with a 40 lb raccoon outside the Monday morning quarterback in me says well played.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
I think you did the right thing. Call 911 and stay inside with the wife and kids to protect them. Let the pros handle the outside!:yup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for feedback, and USM1976 I did leave the kids asleep in their beds. great point, along with ZeBool, to have pulled them to a safe location / safe room and not have the family split apart with an unknown threat. Definitely something I missed during this event but not a mistake I will make again.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would have shot the raccoon and had a good supper. If I didn't live in the country, I'd probably take your approach.

·
Premium Member
37,585 Posts
I would have shot the raccoon and had a good supper. If I didn't live in the country, I'd probably take your approach.
They eat racoon in Mississippi/Tennessee?

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
I must say, the only racoon I tried tasted ....like something I cant post here. Stunk the entire house up, too. Of course the **** hunter who baked the thing wasnt known for being much of a cook.

Id say the depression will have to get lots worse before folks start eating those. Btw, they dont come easy either. Not unless you have a pack of **** hounds.

They eat racoon in Mississippi/Tennessee?

·
Premium Member
37,585 Posts
I must say, the only racoon I tried tasted ....like something I cant post here. Stunk the entire house up, too. Of course the **** hunter who baked the thing wasnt known for being much of a cook.

Id say the depression will have to get lots worse before folks start eating those. Btw, they dont come easy either. Not unless you have a pack of **** hounds.
They come easy around here. Since I don't eat them, I see no point in shooting them.

·
Premium Member
37,585 Posts
Real situation and want some opinions on how differently others would have handled this experience. Brief background: 11:30pm, 2 kids (3 & 5) sleeping opposite side of house, wife in bed reading, I am in bathroom packing for a business trip (leaving early in the morning). We both hear what sounds like our pool screen door close (which is outside our bedroom window and blinds are closed). We continue to hear noise / rumbling outside on our pool deck, and again some noise which sounds like someone /thing outside our window. Sounds continue on for another minute and also seem to perhaps be now coming from the side of our house. Here is what my action was: turned off all interior lights, turned on exterior floods, armed myself with a firearm and tactical flashlight, and made multiple but quick attempts to gain visibility to the pool deck by looking through the blinds and moving across the house to gain a different angle. Nothing was observed despite still hearing noises. At this time approximately 5 minutes had passed so I called 911. Impressively 2 LEO arrived in under 2 minutes and began to sweep my property. After about 4 minutes the 911 operator instructed me to secure my firearm and exit the house to meet the officers. They had found the cause...a raccoon that honestly must have pushed 40 lbs. My question to everyone is what would you have done? As much as I have taken a ribbing by everyone, I still can't justify exploring this sound at night by myself with a wife and two kids. Thoughts.
First ****?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
You did the right thing, ***** can be rabid. Just last Christmas I talked with a lady that had been bitten by a rabid ****.

btw, they taste like chicken.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I may have had the wife call 911 sooner than 5 min. But everything worked out for you all. Now as for .Mr. ****, I could just see the cops trying to put it in the back of a cop car that would have been a real HOOT.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Suggestion for the lighting: make it automatic, instead of strictly manually controlled. If able, have some sort of notification mechanism inside the home, for when your security lighting has tripped. Ensure it covers all the entry areas and critical areas.

Turning out the interior lighting was good. Being armed was good. With a young family at home, calling the cavalry isn't unjustified, if you cannot locate the cause of the noises and are legitimately concerned because it's continuing and/or not matching known critter sounds, etc.

Going out to investigate after 5mins of silence isn't a bad idea, but with a young family left alone inside, it's probably not the smartest thing. If OTOH you can tag-team a scan of your property in which you're both armed, it's not a bad thing to do. "Country" folk do such things all the time. It's only we 'burbers who've lost the skill and gumption to protect our own properties in such typical ways. Once upon a time, it was very typical. Still is, in many places. Up to you, based on circumstances. No need to feel foolish.

My very first thought, honestly, was an obese raccoon. Really.
A healthy and typically-strong one, yeah. ***** tear into buildings, break through walls, dump 40-50lb trash cans. "Pushing 40lbs" wouldn't be unusual for a typical healthy ****, IMO. They're tough critters.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Although my first thought was involving some kind of animal, as most home intruders would be very stealthy and avoid making too much noise. The critters on the other hand just make themselves at home. However, you just never really know. Some intruders are about as dumb as the average raccoon.:wink:

either or, glad it all turned out okay for you and your family.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I would say that you handled it about as well as anybody could expect. One thought about the kids and a "safe room". Most of us do not have a truly fortified "safe room"---bullets go thru sheetrock quite easily.

With kids that small, you have to weigh the challenges/obstacles of waking them up, moving them, keeping them quiet and not terrifying them versus having your wife take a second firearm (good 20 ga shotgun with OO buck,) and guarding THEM. Of course, you would need to work together prior, in order to communicate well and avoid crossfire dangers.

Reactions: niks

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
You handled it perfectly IMO.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts