Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have 2 senarios...
(1) You're on a highway and somebody runs you off the road..you catch up with this idiot and he wants to have words on the side of the road,you pull over and he gets out with a ball bat..what would you do?
(2) Some drunk guy wants to use you for a punching bag in a parking lot...you try and fight this dumb ass away from you...and he comes back at you trying to grab you're gun in you're belt...what would you do?

This never happened..just wondering.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
To question 1. I wouldn't catch up to them. I call 911 and let the police catch them.
2.I can out run most drunks. If it means running or shooting. I'll run.

the whole idea of CCW is to go out of your way to avoid conflict. I alway try to think what would a jury think of my actions?

·
Registered
669 Posts
highway situation....just let the idiot keep driving, Bar situation....its my policy to walk away first, then I give two warnings, then I draw if he still wants trouble. If theyre hostile off the bat, Ill draw and fire. Most state courts recognize the "sudden combat"doctrine that excuses this reaction as self defense. Never had to fire a shot in anger yet, and i hope i dont have to.

·
Banned
23 Posts
I have 2 senarios...
(1) You're on a highway and somebody runs you off the road..you catch up with this idiot and he wants to have words on the side of the road,you pull over and he gets out with a ball bat..what would you do?
(2) Some drunk guy wants to use you for a punching bag in a parking lot...you try and fight this dumb ass away from you...and he comes back at you trying to grab you're gun in you're belt...what would you do?

Scenario #1 - I messed up bad in pulling over to have words. If I catch up, I should only do so to get the license plate number and call it in, then disengage. If I shoot the guy, I might very well go to jail because I pursued him. You say he gets out with a baseball bat, you don't say he comes at me with it. Someone comes at me with a baseball bat, assuming I didn't provoke it, he'll be looking down a .45 cal pipe. Even though AZ is a stand-your-ground state, I will definitely do my best to get out of the way. But if I'm cornered and he's still coming, I'm pulling the trigger.

Scenario #2 - Obviously I do my best to keep the gun in my possession. If I get my gun back and it's an unarmed drunk guy and he's not bigger than me, I'll clobber him with two and half pounds of 1911 steel, as many times as it takes to make him stop fighting. If he's bigger/younger/stronger, he gets shot. If I don't get my gun back, it's probably Good Night Irene for me, right?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have 2 senarios...

(1) Leave. Fast. Call 911. Meet Cops at Krispy Kreme. File report. Call insurance company in case of damage to car. Eat 23 glazed hot doughnuts, 1 raspberry jelly filled & 2 cups of coffee. Go home with a smile that lasts till the sugar high dies off. Crash hard. Wake up hung over as if you had 12 beers and 4 tequilas.

(2) Why am I in a parking lot of a bar with a handgun?
Why am I not using footwork to evade a drunk, blind him with a surefire and kick his legs out from under him? If all that isn't working, knock him out and call 911 to report you were attacked. Then see #1 begining with "Eat 23 glazed hot doughnuts..."

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Scenario #1- I won't be chasing him down. I'll use my cell and call 911 with description of vehicle and license number (if I was able to get it).

Scenario #2- Attempt to walk away. If the person lunges and attempts to take my weapon, take him out of the fight fast, while retaining my weapon. A kick to the knee, elbow to the throat, knee to the groin. Whatever needs to be done. Last resort will be drawing my weapon.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
I'm going to 'exit stage left' in either situation. I'm not catching up to anyone, and I can excape a parking lot drunk.:wave:

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Agreed.

Scenario #1: Don't chase down the person who ran me off the road; call 911 and provide a description of the vehicle.

Scenario #2: Attack in the opposite direction. Call 911 at first opportunity and report the incident.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Scenario#2................always carry pepper spray with your CCW on your person. Good first line of Self Defense if used properly.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Agreed.

Scenario #1: Don't chase down the person who ran me off the road; call 911 and provide a description of the vehicle.

Scenario #2: Attack in the opposite direction. Call 911 at first opportunity and report the incident.
+1. I think a prosecuting attorney would have a field day with any weapon involvement in scenario #1. Scenario #2 isn't much better from a legal perspective.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
Quick reminder everybody, just because the OP used a language workaround and we haven't caught up with it, does not mean it is OK for you to quote the whole thing with the offending word.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Scenario 1

Make sure you are at a safe distance from the erratic driver, note down his plate number and call 911. Hopefully you have a bluetooth headset/mic in the car so both your hands are free for defensive driving. I carry a small Flip video recorder in the car in case I need to record something for proof later.
Never get into a verbal altercation and never ever get out of the car.

Scenario 2

Avoid confrontation, call 911 from a safe distance. If attacked at close quarters, defend yourself. Join a Krav Maga class.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I have 2 senarios...
Not be there in the first place, certainly not of my own choosing and via my own aggressive attempt to catch up with the offender.

Had I done so, what would I be doing? Probably be in jail for the accusation of murder, if it turned down the likely path of me needing to defend against the lethal attack. I'd be having a tough time claiming that my injecting myself into a situation (with witnesses corroborating claims as to my actions) was done with only the most honorable of motives. Pass.

Stupid people deserve to be alone in their misery. He's got the road to himself, without me. I, on the other hand, have a call to make to my insurance agent and the police.

If only slightly off the road, I'd possibly get the license plate number (if able to). If not, not. Either way, the police need to know he's out there and threatening others, or at least out there and leaving the scene of "crashes" he's been involved with. The police don't take too kindly to that, 'round here.

I'm disabled, and I'm feeling the ravages of my condition. Any fight brought to me is going to end quickly, one way or the other. It'll end poorly for me, unless I end it. But, if I'm still breathing and being violently attacked by someone, then I'm going to do everything in my power to stop it, no matter the cost to the attacker.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have 2 senarios...

Scenario (1): I don't go after the guy, but assuming that I somehow am in the situation described and suddenly come to my senses, I get back in my car and drive away.

Scenario (2): I don't try to fight in the first place--I try to get away. But assuming I do something stupid as described and the he goes for my gun, I try my best to retain my gun and get away.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Road rage - Stay in car, back up, would already have 911 on the phone.

Drunk - Not sure how I have been placed in the situation, but I'll play. That close, can't say for sure, but gun gets pulled and close to pulling the trigger. Keep backing up, I don't want trouble. Many loud verbal warnings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts