Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have found myself in the market for a new carry pistol. The only gun I own is a Springfield XDM 9mm compact. I bought it with the intention to carry it, but it was too heavy and bulky to wear comfortably. I even have a nice leather/Kydex IWB holster for it. I am now thinking that I would like to get a smaller sub-compact pistol in a larger caliber that I will carry OWB. I will still conceal, but I won't be concerned about printing or unintentional exposure since I live in GA. I am interested in level 2 retention OWB holster options.

My priorities are...
1. Comfort (If it isn't comfortable, I won't wear it.) (Is it lightweight? Are the dimensions small?)
2. Reliability
3. Capacity (more is better :smile:)
4. Quality (Is the weapon put together well?)
5. Safety (I like Springfield's double safety, but I could be talked out of it.)

I put together a spreadsheet (below) to help me compare some of my favorites so far. The Springfield XDM 9mm compact highlighted in red is what I currently own.

Compare.png

I am in need of opinions and guidance. Thanks for posting!

·
Super Moderator
19,904 Posts
Some intangibles which defy an objective evaluation are how well the gun fits your hand, and how well you shoot it. A few months back I shot a friend's S&W Shield 9mm, and I was amazed at how easy it was to make good hits with it - and the gun didn't even feel all that good in my hand. Conversely, the gun that gets carried a lot is a Kahr CW9; it's pretty flat and all of 22 ounces loaded, but I had to work at gaining proficiency with it. Both are worth a look, IMO. My other suggestion is a CZ Rami.

I'm not a big fan of subcompact pistols, because I think the tradeoff between size and controllability isn't worth it - for me. If I have to curl a pinky under the butt of the gun in order to get a firing grip, it's going to be that much harder for me to get hits even when I'm not in a high-stress situation.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The only pistol in your list that I am very familiar with is the Glock 27. I have had my Gen 2 for 20 years and it's been flawless. As a matter of fact, I did a complete strip and clean of this pistol today for the first time since it was purchased. Yea...it was pretty dirty and was well overdue, but it's never malfunctioned in all those years even dirty. So......I guess I'm pretty biased toward Glock. I recommend the Glock 27 with a +1 or +2 mag extension so your pinky finger has a place to rest for a better purchase on the gun. Add some Trijicon HD sights or XS Big Dots with a nice holster and you are good to go!

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
I don't think any of those guns will make any difference in the weight/bulk when carrying. I would look at 938 / 43 if I wanted to a difference in weight/bilk.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a bunch of Glocks, and if you decide to consider the 27, I suggest you consider the 26 instead in 9mm, because I have had both I find the 26 more to my liking in that size of Glock, but I have carried the full sized 22 in 40 cal a lot, and I really don't find the 26 or the 27 hardly any easier to carry than a 17 or 22, however the 19 in 9mm is a good size being in-between but in the end, I prefer the 22 or 17 myself in the Glocks. I have the 42 and the 43, both have their places but I think I like the Shield better and I find it a lot easier to shoot well then the 42 or 43.

I don't know too much about the other models you listed. One gun not on your list that I like is the M&P Compact, you might want to look at that one.

But the fact is that you need to buy or barrow and try whatever you think you want, and eventually you will end up with a few that you want to carry more then the others.
Everyone needs a J-Frame air weight and maybe even a NAA .22 mag Pug for the times when nothing else can be carried. At least the J-Frame anyway. Good belts and holsters are a must.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You mentioned that weight and bulk are the primary drawbacks but it seems that the other choices are basically in the same size and weight class. I have a Kahr CM9 which is significantly lighter and smaller than things like the G26/G27 (which I also have). There are other single stack options like the G43 but if I was going to get a second gun, I would get something in a different size/weight class to give you more options.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Of the guns you listed I have an XDS that I recently picked up. I also have a Shield. I guess my hands are about average size. With the Shield using the flush mag, I can only get 2 fingers on the grip with my pinky under the mag. One thing I noticed immediately when I first shot the XDS is that it has a deeper recessed trigger guard, and I can get all three fingers on the grip. As you can probably guess, the XDS for me is more comfortable to shoot and my groups are a lot tighter. I still love the Shield and its never given me a failure, but the XDS is now taking over as the primary EDC, and the Shield is the rotation. I also have a BG380 for times when I need to pocket carry.

To me, if you like the XDM and you like the grip safety, why not just get the XDS as the companion if you want something that size? If you're like most of us on the forum, you'll probably end up adding more later anyway.:image035:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
This is how I ended up with the M&P Shield. I went in with intentions of buying the PPS M2 but the Shield felt better in hand.
If Walther can do something with that grip to make it feel better they'll have a winner on their hands as far as my hands are concerned. But the Smith felt 10 x better.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I've carried a G26 and G27. Yes, they are a bit lighter than what you own. If you're going to go Glock, I would go with G26. All of the guns you have listed have good reputations. If you really want something smaller, then you have a lot more options and I would also say you need to look at single stacks. That said, I carry a ---- wait for it, G19 daily, and don't find it a burden at all with the right holster and a top quality belt.

Reactions: joker1

·
Registered
887 Posts
For me Reliability would be #1 priority with comfort following. What good is it if the gun is comfortable to wear all day but isn't reliable to go bang when you most need it. just my 2 cents.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
702 Posts
My choice is none of them, I own several xd pistols and other brands, but I like my Sig P250c 9mm better than any other pistol I have fired. Just my opinion, as everyone has their own opinion

·
Registered
887 Posts
Also, Welcome to the forum from the mountains of North Carolina :wave:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Get yourself a good gun belt and weight will not be much of an issue, all of them will do nicely, go out shoot them, purchase what you feel most comfortable with.

·
Registered
713 Posts
As some others above have mentioned, take a look at the Shield. An excellent performer at an excellent price point.

On your list, I am only familiar shooting the Glock and as someone else mentioned above, I think the G26 or G19 would be good for you to look at.

When I was shopping, I didn't shoot the Walthers, but there was just something that I didn't like, so they didn't make the shooting list for me. I have heard great things about the H&K, but I don't see them often here at the LGS. The prevalent brands here locally seem to be S&W, Glock, Ruger, Sig and the XDS Springfields.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts