Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.

I was out shopping at a major sporting goods store. Went by the firearms section just to see what they had.

While I was there, a guy was being served. He was talking on his cell phone to someone, who appeared to be telling them what to get. Obviously, i can only hear his side of the conversation and the firearms clerk serving.

Guy to clerk: That pumpy, how many does that one hold?
Clerk to guy: I think six....
Guy into phone: it holds six
Guy to clerk: Yeah, gimme one of those

He then walks around. I hear 'What, the .223?'
He goes back to the clerk and starts asking about Mini 14's. He then talks some more on the cell and says, about the shotgun he is getting, 'You got any of the police ones that hold 8,9 rounds'

Clerk : 'No'
Guy into the phone 'No'
Guy to clerk 'Yeah, just gimme that one'. He then starts looking at the .223 rifles, I'm guessing the Rugers.

Now, I'm thinkng this is looking like a straw purchase to me. The firearms guy was pretty young and inexperienced. He didn't appear to know much from what i overheard.

So, what I did was I caught the eye of another store worker who appeared to be the firearms manager. He was currently on my side of the counter.

He asked if I needed any help and I said, yes, I need to talk to you a second and walked round the corner of the aisle with him. I then told him what I had seen and that it looked, to me at least, that he had a straw purchase going on and he might want to check it out It was even more clear to me because the guy was buying several guns, but looked like he was maybe 20.

I then left the store. I then started to feel like a bit of a snitch, wondering if maybe I had also got it wrong, but guys, if you had seen the body language etc, and the fact that he was going to spend a lot of money buyiing several cheaper long guns, it just didn't seem right to me.

So, in a similar situation, what would you guys have done?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'd have probably done the same thing.
Thinking that the manager would probably want to know if there were illegal purchases going on in his store, on his watch, so to speak.

If it is legit, he can determine that in his own professional way.

I'd say you did good. No snitch.

Also, if this "kid" is going to put guns in the hands of criminals, the ones you are armed to protect your family from, ............. well you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Better safe than sorry - and if this as it obviously did - pricked your spidey sense then I too would have done similar.

Every darned straw purchase that makes it thru the net is potentially another nail in the 2A coffin, the way anti's like to play it. If he was straight up then no harm done.

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
Fragman, you did the right thing, no question.

This smells like a strawman purchase, without a doubt.

BTW, what did the firearms section have?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Captain Crunch said:
Fragman, you did the right thing, no question.

This smells like a strawman purchase, without a doubt.

BTW, what did the firearms section have?
I couldn't really see as they were way behind the counter, but one looked like a bushmaster AR type and apparently they had a Ruger mini 14 too. But they had a lot of shotguns and Remington 700 types.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Sounds good to me. Let the mgr deal with the guy and don't hang around for him to get mad at you. There's usually a reason when you start to feel something funny is going on. Pretty blatant there.

·
Super Moderator
16,763 Posts
I would have been suspicious also, you never know, could have been one of Bloomberg’s “investigators” on the other end of the phone.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
You surely did the right thing. I'm about fed up with seeing this sort of thing going on at a local gun show. Seen whole groups of 'bangers looking things over but only one who keeps making the gun purchases. The idiot dealers ought to realise they're just giving the antis more ammo. Not to mention arming potential enemies of society. When I was working the shows I always "reserved the right to deny questionable sales" and that meant to anyone that struck me wrong.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Well done, and I would have done the same.

More troubling is that the clerk that was helping him didn't realize what was going on.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
I would have done the same too. No doubt a questionable sale in progress.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts