Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,531 Posts
Good advice, we have a divorce attorney around here whose ads advise calling him before posting anything on facebook.

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
As mature (supposedly) adults, we all have the opportunity, responsibility even, to self edit the things we say or write. When we let the emotions of the moment get the better of us, we say or write things that we later regret. With spoken words, time passes and things are forgotten. The things we post are not.

In the immediate moment of "real" life a failure to self edit can be understood. In a setting where you must type, spellcheck (yeah, right!) And, finally, post your thoughts, a failure to self edit is just lazy.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Gun forums lead to a lot of bravado and testosterone flexing. This article is great advice and should be taken to heart. We own guns and carry to defend us and our families. Simple as that. Guns are tools, just like a baseball bat, kitchen knives, lamps, or if you can run away, a good pair of running shoes. The whole purpose of our gun ownership aside from target practice or competition is to survive a violent attack. And that is all.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Good advice. I regret saying I love Kate Beckinsale. Now if I ever marry her my current wife will never believe I didn't plan it.
I like how you describe your wife as current.

Reactions: oneshot

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Hey, if they'll be sister wives, I'm game. But THAT just feels like a pipe dream.
I was watching a movie just the other day with her in it...she's still a cutie.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Am I missing something? Has someone's IP records been used against them in a trial? Not to mention that ISPs like DSL will give you a different IP address every time you connect.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Am I missing something? Has someone's IP records been used against them in a trial? Not to mention that ISPs like DSL will give you a different IP address every time you connect.
This is just a random article. Not the result of a particular thread.

ISPs often have DHCP records which show who had what IP address at what time and so it is often (not always) possible to track the IP address in question to a specific customer. In some cases, ISP's actually assign static IPs which always stay they same and are only linked to one customer.

The scenario this article describes is quite feasible. Once they seize your computer, they can often find stored favorites, browser history, usernames and passwords, etc. In addition, they can sometimes track you from the opposite direction by subpoenaing the forum for their logs showing what IP address made a certain post and then going to the ISP from there. Not a perfect science, but it can often lead to the results they are looking for.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Important points, in that essay.

As grandma used to say, always speak as though grandma would read a transcript of it the next day, or as though it were being read out loud in church on Sunday. Who do you really want to know these things, how you think, what your deep-down (or knee-jerk) opinions might be or seem to be?

Not that most of us will ever need to worry about it. But you never know.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
You would need to be living under a rock to not know DHS,and NSA do monitor gun and prepper forums.
Why else would we make so many post to mess with them.
Even when the press won't talk much about it it gets out what they are doing.
So your right it can not only be found but it is being monitored.

Reactions: perfection

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
It's a good thing that everything that I write on internet forums are merely exercises in creative fictional writing and is also research for the novel I've been thinking about writing which is about this guy who wants to be an author but all he does is write lies on internet forums to help hone his creative writing skills but here is the real kicker of the story (kind of like they did with The Sixth Sense)...everything that happens in the book, doesn't really happen...it's just a lie that someone is writing on an internet forum.

Damn, I think I just ruined the ending for everyone.:wink:

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
And always wear clean undies!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
You would need to be living under a rock to not know DHS,and NSA do monitor gun and prepper forums.
Why else would we make so many post to mess with them.
Even when the press won't talk much about it it gets out what they are doing.
So your right it can not only be found but it is being monitored.
National level LEO refers to forums like this as "open source" information. In other words, they don't have to even bother opening the PRISM app. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I like how you describe your wife as current.
Old joke... How do you know your marriage may be on the rocks?

When your wife introduces you to others at a gathering as "This is my first husband."

1 - 20 of 94 Posts