Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe I'm asking a recoil question, but I am. I am considering a 10mm Dan Wesson CBOB 1911. What will recoil be like in compared to the same gun with .45ACP (I have shot max loads but not +P)? Also, will it be significantly louder?

Dan Wesson is discontinuing 10mm 1911's :mad::frown: and I am considering getting one while they're available - if I can find one AND afford it. It seems the DW CBOBs cost a lot more than they did when I last bought.

I know recoil is a subjective subject, but I'm trying to get a ballpark idea. I found this table:
Handgun Recoil - Condensed Table

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
I have shot both, to me they feel about the same. If you can handle a .45 acp 1911 you will be able to handle the 10mm

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I have a 10MM and love it. Most factory SD rounds are loaded more like 40 cal than 10MM. Some 10MM rounds are approaching 41MAG performance, yes they are loud. They do a good job on whitetail. If you want a "do all" caliber in an auto the 10MM is hard to beat. The Colt Delta Elite is back in production, and are selling for less than $900.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've shot my son's DW Razorback and it's comparable to a .45+P. Not the monster everyone makes it out to be.
BacSi

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Most 10mm loads aren't loaded all that hot. Winchester's 175 ST load feels like a .45 230 +P to me. DT ammo feels a bit warmer and it is. Nothing to be afraid of.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I like the .45 - but - no experience with the 10mm. Ted Nugent used to carry a 10mm Glock or something - dunno if he still does or not.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Depends on the load, some 10mm is loaded "mild" and some 45 +P is loaded "Hot". I'm not sure I could accurately say one caliber is "worse" than the other and both are great calibers. BUT you can find 45+P much easier and probably much cheaper than 10mm.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not to hi-jack the thread, but how does 10mm compare to .45 ammo in cost?

·
Registered
150 Posts
IMHO a 200 gr 10mm round out of a full sized Kimber Eclipse feels roughly comparable to a 230 gr 45acp round out of a full sized Springfield Government model. Both have less "slap" than a round out of a G36.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
.... BUT you can find 45+P much easier and probably much cheaper than 10mm.
I am blessed there, as I purchased a progressive press within a couple weeks of buying my 1911. I know brass & maybe bullets will be a -little- pricier than for .45ACP, and carry ammo will cost more... but it's the price of the gun that scares me, dear Lord, on the auction sites the CBOB's are priced $200-300 higher than the Pointman or Razorback. :frown:

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
The way I'd describe 10mm recoil as compared to .45 is faster. I like .45's for that nice slow push straight back into the hand; 10mm is a sudden, sharp kick. Not uncontrollable, but different (in comparable handguns--say a G20 and a G21).

And out here, 10mm is about 50% more expensive for just plain shooters (FMJ--usually $25-$30/50), but JHP are about the same price as a comparable .45.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts