Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What cleaning items; both traditional and makeshift do you have and use while cleaning your guns? How do you store them? Do you have a bench, or just use a table some ol' place in your house?

As for me I have a craftsman hand carried tool chest that can be opened up and the tray taken out. In the bottom I have a few old washcloths/rags to wipe parts down and to oil them up. I also keep and old towel to lay out on the table I'm cleaning on. I also keep my oil, gun cleaner and a regular air can down there too. I find the air can handy for dust bunnies :smile:

In addition I have most gun cleaning "kits" with copper brushes and rods for multiple calibers, rifles, shotguns and handguns respectively. I keep a few green brilo pads and an old toothbrush for scrubbing gunk and carbon. Lastly I have a dental pick. I find it handy for scraping away the carbon buildup around the extractor.

I keep a Philips head an a flat head screw driver, an ice pick with the end filed down for picky springs, slide stops and other annoying pins that wont budge (especially for the SKS trigger housing :aargh4:) a hammer, a pair of needle nose pliers and a small pocket knife.

How about you guys?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Cleaning kit? I know not what you mean.

Actually, I just have some Breakfree, oil, toothbrush, snake and a toothpick or two. I also have some towels and latex gloves (I hate getting my hands dirty).

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have about the same stuff as Pro2A except for the hammer. :gah:

I also have Q-tips and bore snakes for most calibers.

*TIP* Tear up an old black "T" shirt for your gun cloth. It wont leave visible lint and you cant tell its dirty.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I have a couple of brass rod and brushes for various calibers, jags, etc. I also have some picks, q-tips, patches, and rags. I am planningon trying compressed air mentioned in another thread.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never thought of the q-tip idea. I'll have to check it out... what exactly do you do with it?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Wife sais NO HOPE in house, I cleen in garage alot of stuff unessisary
:rolleyes:Have a # of cleaners I like CLP B/F I'd like too get some gunzilla:wink:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well, you can see most all known gun maintenence chemicals toward the bottom on my main case. At the top (and used most) are Gunzilla, JD Bore Cleaner and Brownell's Action Lube. Also in that case are Bore Snakes of most caliber and guage, cleaning pads and Q-Tips. And a economy sized can of compressed air. In another more orginized case are rods, brass, mops and assorted items.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I never thought of the q-tip idea. I'll have to check it out... what exactly do you do with it?
I use Q-tips to detail and place lube exactly where I want it. If you cut a Q-tip in half and chuck it into a dremel, it will polish like no other without any harm to your firearm.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Other useful items are pipecleaners and a paint brush to get loose dirt out of any place or to put oil in all those places also.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
QTips are great for cleaning and lubing slide rails and grooves. Good for picking up grit out of tight places. Next to the boresnake they are the best cleaning tool I have used.

I also have old toothbrushes, several different dental picks, lots of patches , a couple of thin rags I keep using, and a few brass punches. Love the Gunzilla, that goes to.

I keep it all in a cheap Doskocil gun case with a screwdriver case (changeable tip) screwed to the top. This is easy to take to the range in case there are any mishaps. The more specific use tools are kept in a fishing tackle box that is not so portable.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wife sais NO HOPE in house, I cleen in garage alot of stuff unessisary
:rolleyes:Have a # of cleaners I like CLP B/F I'd like too get some gunzilla:wink:
I'm in the same boat with the HOPPS. Pole barn only. Actually, I like to do my cleaning there anyway. Right now, HOPPS is the only thing I have for cleaning, but I am planning on trying Gunzilla. It sounds like a "Must Have" product.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
If you live with a lady who objects to the aroma of some gun cleaning products, try Blue Wonder.
No odor, at all and it works, really works. I will trust my guns to nothing else, since I tried it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you live with a lady who objects to the aroma of some gun cleaning products, try Blue Wonder.
No odor, at all and it works, really works. I will trust my guns to nothing else, since I tried it.
Thank you! After GoldenSabre's review of Gunzilla, It's the next thing I want to try, but I will consider Blue Wonder.

Maybe they need a different name or something. I kept thinking it was something for the blueing...

-M

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm in the same boat with the HOPPS. Pole barn only. Actually, I like to do my cleaning there anyway. Right now, HOPPS is the only thing I have for cleaning, but I am planning on trying Gunzilla. It sounds like a "Must Have" product.
I had the same problem and like to clean in my home office. Switched from Hoppe's to Break Free and actually find it is better.

Guess I should give Gunzilla a try since so many folks are so high on it...

·
Super Moderator
16,798 Posts
Have most things others have mentioned but add in pipe cleaners, great for cleaning AR bolt carriers and doubled-up do a good job of cleaning and lubing firing pin channels.

·
Super Moderator
50,583 Posts
What cleaning items; both traditional and makeshift do you have and use while cleaning your guns? How do you store them? Do you have a bench, or just use a table some ol' place in your house?

As for me I have a craftsman hand carried tool chest that can be opened up and the tray taken out. In the bottom I have a few old washcloths/rags to wipe parts down and to oil them up. I also keep and old towel to lay out on the table I'm cleaning on. I also keep my oil, gun cleaner and a regular air can down there too. I find the air can handy for dust bunnies :smile:

In addition I have most gun cleaning "kits" with copper brushes and rods for multiple calibers, rifles, shotguns and handguns respectively. I keep a few green brilo pads and an old toothbrush for scrubbing gunk and carbon. Lastly I have a dental pick. I find it handy for scraping away the carbon buildup around the extractor.

I keep a Philips head an a flat head screw driver, an ice pick with the end filed down for picky springs, slide stops and other annoying pins that wont budge (especially for the SKS trigger housing :aargh4:) a hammer, a pair of needle nose pliers and a small pocket knife.

How about you guys?
Just about the same plus some canned 'air' to clean and dry out parts.
Used to have several clearners, but not it's just Gunzilla.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
THEN

NOW

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
q-tips, pipe cleaners, m16 toothbrush, patches, hoppies #9, oil, grease, brushes, rods, and all of the normal stuff that you need in an old fishing tackle box.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Old toothbrush,q-tips, Hoppes solvent, a "universal" kit from WW. a bore snake for each of my shot gun, pistols and rifles. I also have a small "travel" squeeze bottle I got from WW, I filled with Mobil 1 and use it in my high friction areas on my auto pistols...applied with a q-tip.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts