Defensive Carry banner

Whats in your HD shootie?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep an alternating mag of 00 buck shot and slugs for those things that go bump in the night.

How about you guys? Do you mix it up, or so you use one kind of shot only?

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Right now, I have alternating slugs/ 00 buckshot in the 870.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
00 in the tube, with slugs in a side-saddle. Overpenetration is too much of a concern where I am to have slugs mixed in, but if the BG is hiding behind the fridge or something, I can quickly get one in there.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
All 12 ga 00 buck...I want to know what I'm always loading and always shooting in my double barrel coach gun.:yup::comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
In the Mossberg, 00 low recoil.

However, my first choice long arm will have 55gr JHP's.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do it and I know others do it, but I never understood the alternating slugs and buckshot. Advantages? Disadvantages?

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
5 rounds Double 00 low recoil in the mag tube,with Brenenke KO slugs in the saddle

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I do it and I know others do it, but I never understood the alternating slugs and buckshot. Advantages? Disadvantages?
The only alternating ammo that has ever made sense to me was tracers mixed in with ball ammo for military use. I see the disadvantages of mixing slugs and buckshot that the slug will penetrate a lot more stuff than the buckshot. Also, have you checked to see if the POI was different for the loads you use? And the recoil from slugs is generally a bit harsher, I prefer to keep it as consistent as possible, as there is one less thing to throw off my shooting in a high stress situation.

I like keeping slugs handy, but knowing exactly when I am going to use them, by only loading them when I need them.

·
Premium Member
4,991 Posts
I too, keep 00 in the tube & chamber 8+1 with 6 low recoil slugs in the side saddle.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Remington 870 Police magnum 12ga, 14" bbl. 5rds of Winchester Super-X Magnum #1 Buckshot (full load) 2-3/4" shells are loaded, with 4rds in the stock and a dozen 5rd boxes nearby.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I voted other...Remington high speed steel shot, SSTHV12H, number 2 shot. Thats 125 pellets of .15 inch coming out at 1500fps. From in house distance of 3-7 yds..its gonna leave a big hole.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I have overpenetration concerns in my house. I load Remington Duplex birdshot right now. They are an old version of what Remington is now selling as a HD load. I used to load Federal Home Defense #2 shot, but it never patterned well. I found out it has a "spreader wad" in it. It's been discontinued for a few years I guess, but I bought lots. For anything outside I use Federal low recoil OO with the Flite Control wad (now discontinued for civilians, email Federal please). More of the same and some Federal Truball low recoil slugs in the sidesaddle.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Right now 7 shot as over penetration is a concern for me. I have buckshot on the butt stock if needed.
The Shottie is for a static defense and would have the 45 and 9mm to go after my daughter on the other end of the house.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Federal LE Tactical 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00 buckshot

·
Registered
263 Posts
currently, A target load of 7.5 shot, but ill be picking up some 4 or 2 buckshot in a few days, when money allows.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts