Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering putting the purchase on a low-medium range 1911 for carry. I'm sure there are a ton of options at this price range, all I really want is a good dependable weapon that will do a good job of digesting self defense ammo.

I'm considering a STI Spartan IV, since they're a Texas company. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Sig or para should do the trick, you could always keep your eye open for a used commander sti is a great gun but a little more than 700

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm considering putting the purchase on a low-medium range 1911 for carry. I'm sure there are a ton of options at this price range, all I really want is a good dependable weapon that will do a good job of digesting self defense ammo.

I'm considering a STI Spartan IV, since they're a Texas company. Any thoughts?

Are you okay with carrying a full size, or would you prefer a Commander/Officer? If a full size is okay, it would be extremely hard to beat a Springfield Range Officer. If you're wanting a commander, Para would likely do you proud but if it were me, I'd save another $100 and buy a Ruger SR Commander. For Officers, you're going to be looking at an RIA Tactical or Citadel more than likely. I've had no trouble (minus some FTF from the stock ACT Mags on JHPs) with my Citadel Compact and it's my EDC now.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't have either but would look at the Ruger SR or the Springfield R.O.

·
Registered
99 Posts
TxTchRR: Are you okay with carrying a full size, or would you prefer a Commander/Officer? If a full size is okay, it would be extremely hard to beat a Springfield Range Officer. If you're wanting a commander, Para would likely do you proud but if it were me, I'd save another $100 and buy a Ruger SR Commander. For Officers, you're going to be looking at an RIA Tactical or Citadel more than likely. I've had no trouble (minus some FTF from the stock ACT Mags on JHPs) with my Citadel Compact and it's my EDC now.

+1 on the RIA, Citadel.

I have had several RIA's. Do a little work to them (night sights, some polishing here and there, etc.), get some good magazines, and you should be good to go... you might even come under budget, if you play your cards right :smile:.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Sr1911

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I've got a Kimber myself, but I have a friend who swears by his Rock Island Armory.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Going to hijack this thread:

With regards to the Ruger SR1911CMD...is this small enough to CC "decently"?. I've honestly never been a fan of stainless firearms but damn this thing looks fantastic!

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
One of the favorite tag lines I have seen on a gun forum, went like this; "I used to envy the man who had a 1911...until I met one."

Gen 3 Glock 19, in 9mm. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
STI has a great product line and put out some nice 1911s. The Spartan IV should do you fine. I prefer bushings on my 1911s, but it is what it is.

The Springfield Mil-Spec is a Government size, but a great platform to improve upon later on if you want to.

Be wary of 1911s models with Bomar/ Target style rear sights for a carry 1911. They really dig into you and catch on clothing when worn IWB. There are several options now for replacing those types of sights, but it will be another expense ($100+).

Good luck with your choice.

Crafted with classic 1911 design, the STI International Spartan IV is a traditional commander sized 1911 pistol with high-end standards at an affordable price. The slide features traditional 1911 styling with rear cocking serrations, and the barrel is a 4.26” match grade bull barrel. Comes standard with an STI square hammer, patented STI trigger system, and STI sear and disconnector for smooth, reliable function.

The Spartan IV has a Parkerized finish.

Specifications

MSRP $725.00
Calibers 9×19, .45 ACP
Frame 1911 Commander Steel Frame
Bald Front Strap
Grips Hand checkered double diamond
Mahogany Grip Panels
Slide Classic w/ Rear Cocking Serrations
Trigger STI Long Curved Trigger
Barrel 4.26” Chromed Non-Ramped Bull Barrel
Safeties STI High-Ride Beavertail Grip Safety
Single Sided Thumb Safety
Guide Rod One Piece Full Length Steel
Sights Competition Front
Fixed Rear
Overall Length 8.01”
Weight 9×19= 35.6 oz (1009.35g)
Finish Parkerized

·
Registered
50 Posts

With regards to the Ruger SR1911CMD...is this small enough to CC "decently"?. I've honestly never been a fan of stainless firearms but damn this thing looks fantastic!
I have CC'd my 5" comfortably and discreetly. The key is a good belt and holster combination.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
541 Posts

It should carry just fine given a decent belt/holster. I carry my Colt 1991 Commander every now and then with zero issues. Then again, I've never carried a plastic and probably never will so I don't really have any weight bias.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One of the favorite tag lines I have seen on a gun forum, went like this; "I used to envy the man who had a 1911...until I met one."

I'm carrying a Glock even as we speak. Well aware of all the advantages and drawbacks. That's not what I asked about. So hows about we stay on topic. K? Thanks.

·
Registered
20,611 Posts

Whoopee!

OP, my opinion is a Springfield, or a good used Colt 1991A1

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
Use the $700 as a down payment on a Sprigfield or Colt1911.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Headed out Monday to pick up a gently used Springfield Range Officer for $600. I wanted commander length, but I couldn't pass up the deal! I should be able to conceal a full size, just not sure how comfortable it will be!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts