Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand? ~ For general everyday carry??? For most defensive type situations.

That would best/most effective all purpose defensive ammo.

The only firearms that I own in "9" are two older Walther P38s that I never shoot or even ever degrease. :rolleyes: I think I have some old "ball ammo" for them stashed.

I am a 9mm dummy...I admit it. :wink:

Somebody asked me that ammo question yesterday & I realized that I had absolutely no real idea.
I took a "stab in the dark unqualified answer at HOT Federal" but, I'll put the question to you guys that actually carry a 9 on a daily basis.
What impresses you with regard to general best performance, feed reliability, etc?
In other words what do you carry in yours?
I'm assuming that if you carry it...then you are carrying what you feel is the best and most effective round.
What is it?

·
Registered
106 Posts
The Federal brand 115g (+p+) JHP has the highest one hit stop percentage based on law enforcement shootings.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I use 124 GD +P in SIG and in old days when loading and casting - stuck to 125 grain lead RN.

The R9 is best with 115 or 124 std pressure. Overall I do favor the 124 - 125 area tho. Bit like I prefer 158's for 38 spl and .357.

I go heavy when I can choose - even with .454 - I go 300 over 240's.

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Otis ~ That's Interesting.

I know that lots of LEOs are carrying 9mm so that's good to know.

"The Federal brand 115g (+p+) JHP has the highest one hit stop percentage based on law enforcement shootings."

Concerning Gold Dot:
In .380 .38sp .357mag & .45acp I usually just stick with Gold Dot.
Lot of local LEOs carry GD & it feeds very well in my various .45s so...I figure I have a possible litigation edge carrying what many local Police carry. My SIG 220s really like GD & it's super accurate in those pistols.
I also usually carry an extra mag full of Glaser Safety Slugs. Just an odd quirk of mine.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
HydraShoks 124 grains here and use Hornady's 124 gr, FMJ FP for practice and IDPA matches trying to do the "Shoot what you carry" in an inexpensive way.

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Folks for the input.

Just wondering for my own curiousity ~
Does anybody on the forum who packs a 9mm firearm cart around standard military 9mm ball ammo in their Self~Protection firearm?
Again...just a "passing thought" curious question & no particular reason why I'm asking the question.

·
1951 - 2011
496 Posts
Hello. I tend toward to the faster 124-gr. JHP's, but these days I'd say take your pick and get good with the gun. My nines are usually loaded with either Winchester 127-gr. +P+ or Corbon's 115-gr. DPX +P. Other excellent choices seem to be Speer's 124-gr. Gold Dots in both standard pressure and +P. In 147-gr. weights, I think Winchester's Ranger, Remington's Golden Saber, or Speer's Gold Dots are at or near the top of the list.

Best.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
QKShooter said:
Does anybody on the forum who packs a 9mm firearm cart around standard military 9mm ball ammo in their Self~Protection firearm?
Again...just a "passing thought" curious question & no particular reason why I'm asking the question.
Not here. Liability factor because of overpenetration. I will have troubles enough with the SOB I shoot and I really do not need a lawsuit from somebody who got shot after the bullet went through the BG.

Reactions: MikeNice

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
The low center of mass target area presents lots of heavy bone in the pelvic area. This is mobility incapacitating, less potentially penetrated, not as likely to cause collateral damage to the background due to the lower angle of bullet path, and will defeat body armor. Followups tend to rise, though. After the head has fallen. the brain shot is less likely to paint the audience.

Or, by your falling to the ground, like the other sheeple, you can take an elevated shot to avoid the background problem, which has probably been the subject of other threads.

To the topic: when will you know you need the utmost in penetration, and when must you use the least? When will you need the gun, and when can you leave it at home? As of now, the only cartridge that does both is Cor-Bon DPX. The Barnes solid copper HP has demonstrated car door penetration where FMJ produces only dents. (.45 FMJ just bigger dents) Yet in gelatine it expands reliably.

Rule #4 (be absolutely sure of your target and, if possible,what's behind) sounds good in the classroom. Hesitating, and not quickly putting down a mass killer in a crowd, because of background collateral, may cost your life as well as many others. Prior Observation, Orientation, Decision, and Action loops would be our best hope.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Ball Ammo in winter time when everybody gets about 4inchs or more thicker becuse of all the crap they have to wear i usually carry a Mag of it and i know a lot of people here do also.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I like 115 grain in 9mm. I like 125 grain in my 9mm magnums (357 SIG).

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
QK - I avoid 9mm ball for the ''usual'' reason, the penetration excess issue.

I would tho and do for .380 if carrying that, stick to FMJ as the reduced power makes me feel that HP's are possibly too inefficient and over penetration is a lesser issue.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
QKShooter said:
Heaven helps us! No! :biggrin: I've worked a banger, hit 8 times, core body (abd/lower chest), with no "serious" wound from 9mm ball. (Knicked his liver, had to have some bowel removed, but he was able to run away, and we figure it took his homies an extra 20 minutes or so of driving, to ditch his/their gun, before going to the ED.) Lots of others, not hit as many times, where it was slap a bandage over the holes and prophylactic antibiotics.

Personal preference is Corbon 115 gr (they use the Speer HP, IIRC).

·
Registered
484 Posts
I use 115gr Remington non+p JHP, and it goes where I want it. Evan Marshall told me he thought it was a decent choice, but I will be looking at the Fed EFMJ when money comes back into my life....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts