Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've decided that there are times I need the extra deep concealment of a ankle holster for my j frame. Problem is I like to wear cowboy boots a lot. I've tried a cupple, but can't get my boot on very well with them. So I would like to hear from some of you guys that ankle carry with cowboy boot, what ankle holster, or holster in general
works best inside cowboy boots?

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
The question really is: how tight are your particular boots, on your legs?

Sort of the same problem with, say, jeans and pocket carry. Not all pants are going to be decently compatible, on a given body. They'll need to be sufficiently loose-fitting in order to accommodate.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The question really is: how tight are your particular boots, on your legs?

Sort of the same problem with, say, jeans and pocket carry. Not all pants are going to be decently compatible, on a given body. They'll need to be sufficiently loose-fitting in order to accommodate.
They are fairly loose. I can slip the gun in them with no problem, is just not very comfortable as the gun moves around too much just slipped in by itself.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Well just my 2 cents, I wear boots pretty much all the time. Ankle carry with the presents a few problems, if the shaft of the boot is too small it will make it about impossible to get a good fit, if it's snug then it will over time ruin the top of the boots because it causes excessive flexing at the bottom stitching point. It's more difficult to draw from with boots because you need to pull the pant leg up to the top of the boot then draw the gun, since it's going to ride at the top of the boot it's likely pretty high up compared to where most guys where ankle rigs. There are some guys that say they can clip to the boot, but really the support isn't there and again you'll ruin the boots over time because it's just not designed to be weight bearing. So just my 2 cents I stopped ankle carrying since I started wearing boots daily, I still might run an ankle rig when I'm wearing shoes but it's pretty uncommon anymore.

Other people might have different opinions and experiences but that's what I've found.

Take care!

Luke

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
I had an inside the pocket sewn into a pair of Dan Post boots and what luke speaks of happened the shaft sagged under the weight possibly if I had them sew in a stiffener it might work. I gave up and went with a galco elastic mid section holster. Like a girdle only has two holsters sewn in rides good and hols my BUG very secure.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had an inside the pocket sewn into a pair of Dan Post boots and what luke speaks of happened the shaft sagged under the weight possibly if I had them sew in a stiffener it might wiork. I gave up and went with a galco elastic mid section holster. Like a girdle only has two holsters sewn in rides good and hols my BUG very secure.
That does not sound like a bad idea. I would prefer to keep the gun inside my boot, but I'm not opposed to other methods if what I'm looking for really is a bad idea. But my only question about the belly band type of holsters, is how comfortable are they really, and how easy is it to draw from them? I can clear leather pretty darn quick from my boot. If I could find a slim ankle holster to fit inside the boot, would really be my all time preffered method, as I wear my boots a lot. I'm a city boy with a country soul. So I like the idea of keeping my gun in my boot.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
A holster will not make a gun smaller. Look for a different boot, or a different gun, or a different carry method.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Good luck. There is such a thing as a boot holster..... it's designed a bit differently, but typically it is really an IWB type holster that clips on the top of the boot.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I hate to say this, but unless you're wearing galoshes, a J-frame isn't a good shape to tuck into a boot.

I think you'd be better off carrying it somewhere else, or acquring a Ruger LCP or other palm-size autoloader to fit into the boot a bit better.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hate to say this, but unless you're wearing galoshes, a J-frame isn't a good shape to tuck into a boot.

I think you'd be better off carrying it somewhere else, or acquring a Ruger LCP or other palm-size autoloader to fit into the boot a bit better.
Well, I'm not opposed to a different method of deep concealment. But as to a using a pocket auto, not going to happen. I don't do autos. Its revolvers only in my safe.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I carry a 2" Taurus 85 in a shoulder holster. Any of the "upside down" rigs will conceal easily enough under a shirt. If you wear your shirt out of your belt, you can reach the gun almost as easily with either hand.

- TRX (carries both a revolver and an autoloader... at least this month)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a shoulder holster, but there are times that I need it off the top half of me body, which leaves pocket, and ankle. Pocket is usually the way I carry for deep concealment, but there are a few times I have to go unarmed as the particular cloths I'm wearing that day, will not permit any of the mentioned carry methods. So I'm really trying to find a suitable way to carry. maby I'll look into having a bolster installed on the inside of my boot, and have them re enforce the top half to support the weight? I don't know. does anyone know if those holsters that have a pocket on the outside for your phone, and a pocket that is hidden inside the pants, behind the cell phone work well? I know its not going in a boot. But was thinking about them as an alternative.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It's a bit of a hassle, but.....find yourself a calf support that slides or zips onto the calf, neoprene is good. Get a holster that feels fairly good when you put it in the boot, maybe have someone hold it in position while you move your foot around and flex the boot some. Mark where the holster needs to go on the cald support. Take holster and support down to the local shoe shop and have them sew the holster to the calf support in the right spot.
This was a lot easier back in the 1970s when Bianchi made a holster pretty much like that except the entire thing was neoprene. But as LE quit wearing boots so much the market dried up. The easy solution, BTW, is to just get a regular ankle holster and strap it on outside of the boot.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
David I like this idea I am off to the races. Does this slide down the leg? Is there a strap above the knee? Any other info you have would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
You would be better off asking yourself ,how long is my pants leg and how long is it going to take me to roll it up over my boot to get to get my gun?

·
Super Moderator
23,372 Posts
Ok. Here is the definitive answer for me.

I wear cowboy boots a lot. Everyday. The solution that works for me without exception, without fail, regardless of the pair of boots I am wearing, is a Ruger LCR 38 Special in a Remora holster without a clip. It also works with a leather pocket holster. It also work without a holster.

There is no need to get fancy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts