Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a convenience store yesterday and a guy in front of me (no one was behind me) was wearing his gun at the 4 o'clock position. His shirt had gotten a little bunched up and the bottom of his holster and a small bit of the barrel were showing. I stepped up casually beside him and quietly said, "Hey, man. Your gun is showing.", in what I hoped was an 'I'm only trying to help' tone of voice.

He promptly fixed his shirt, gave me the dirtiest look I have gotten in a long time, and stepped forward to the counter. He paid and then gave me another ticked off glare before walking away.

I was a little confused by this reaction. I think that in his place, I would have fixed my shirt and said, "Thanks, man."

Was I out of line? Would you have said anything?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Some people are jerks. He could have been like me and have been a master of "resting ***** face."

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Probably embarrassed that he was displaying his weapon and didn't know it. You did what I would have done. Most people would have been thankful. He was a jerk.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
By the way, Conundrum - I like your avatar :wave:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I did that once and the guy was very indignant as well. To me it's like someone saying "Hey, your fly is open". After that I decided to keep my mouth shut... about flies and guns.

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you would've told me, I would've been appreciative. I wouldn't have told him though. No idea what's going on in his head, if he's a guy carrying a gun who's about to use it or is a CCW'er, how he feels about people correcting him, etc.

Sounds kinda paranoid, but you never know what a human is going to do when you're trying to help them.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Oftentimes, people who don't know what they are doing cop attitude toward those who point it out to them.
My guess is that this is spot on for this specific incident. However the risk of saying something is too great in my opinion. Options are: appreciation, mean mugging, or crazy. I'll just move right along. My kind gesture might bring out something I don't need to encounter today.

·
Premium Member
36,757 Posts
My guess is that this is spot on for this specific incident. However the risk of saying something is too great in my opinion. Options are: appreciation, mean mugging, or crazy. I'll just move right along. My kind gesture might bring out something I don't need to encounter today.
Yup. Unless specifically a Mike1956 problem, I will allow the inexperienced/indifferent the privilege of muddling along uninterrupted.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
If you would've told me, I would've been appreciative. I wouldn't have told him though. No idea what's going on in his head, if he's a guy carrying a gun who's about to use it or is a CCW'er, how he feels about people correcting him, etc.

Sounds kinda paranoid, but you never know what a human is going to do when you're trying to help them.
My thoughts exactly. What if he was about to rob the place or go "postal" on someone? From me you would get thanks. From him you might get a bullet. Not likely but ... why bother?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Open carry is apparently legal with a permit in Michigan.

"Open carry legal with permit. Open carry without a permit legal but with additional prohibitions (Open carry within a vehicle requires a permit. So does open carry in a location that sells alcohol.)
Note: While open carry without a permit is not prohibited by law, law enforcement interpretations and reactions can vary. Contact local authorities with any questions."

MSP Open Carry Doc

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would have appreciated the heads up if the roles were reversed, which is why I said something. I typically try to be a nice guy in most instances, but I might hesitate if something like it happens again.

I like how the input in this thread is leaning both ways. It's indicative of how one never knows what someone else's mindset is.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Open carry is apparently legal with a permit in Michigan.

"Open carry legal with permit. Open carry without a permit legal but with additional prohibitions (Open carry within a vehicle requires a permit. So does open carry in a location that sells alcohol.)
Note: While open carry without a permit is not prohibited by law, law enforcement interpretations and reactions can vary. Contact local authorities with any questions."

MSP Open Carry Doc
Yep. Open carry is totally legal here and people do it all the time. I see at least one person every week at Meijer and I have never witnessed a negative reaction to it.

This guy was obviously carrying concealed, though... and was accidentally exposing his gun, which I assumed he didn't realize. So much for my good intentions this time around.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 44 Posts