Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is pure curiosity. I've never been interesed in ankle rigs because of the slow access.

But what's the heaviest you would carry this way?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have carried my P239 .40 S&W. That is about as big as you can go. It is okay, but I can't find wide enough pant legs.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I carried a small frame, 5 shot .38spl revolver for about two years and that was enough for me. I hated it. Small and light really matters in a ankle holster. If I had to do it today I would carry something like a Seecamp, TPH, LCP, PSA or such.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
For me its the LCP. Until bell bottoms come back in style,:blink: that's about all my stumps will allow without a visible give away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an Ankle glove for my Sig p230sl, but only use it as a last resort-It's pretty heavy and bounces around a lot no matter how tight I have it strapped-
it helps to have a boot or something to give a little more support under it-

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
I don't like carrying guns on ankle. Had a bad experience when running to my car in the rain once and my gun flew out on the ground. In a Bianchi holster no less!

I do carry spare magazines and money & ID in an ankle rig from time to time.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I have carried my P239 .40 S&W. That is about as big as you can go. It is okay, but I can't find wide enough pant legs.
It was easier in the 70s with flared legs on leisure suits. :image035:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I do carry spare magazines and money & ID in an ankle rig from time to time.
Can you elaborate on this? You found an ankle mag carrier? Where?

To the OP:

I dont like an ankle rig for the reason Bark'n said but would consider a mag holster there.

·
Registered
651 Posts
J-frame Airweight or Airlite. Think second gun when ankle carrying. I use this method when driving my wife's VW convertible with the top down.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Glock 27 but it has to be in an Alessi / Bulman type rig to ride properly.

Airweight J frame or lighter is much easier for day to day carry.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I sometimes carry a 642 in a Renegade ankle rig (awesome ankle rig BTW). With the design of the Renegade, I think I could carry a steel snubby like an SP101 without too much trouble, but that's about as heavy of a gun as I'd want to carry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts