Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so why is it that every electronic pistol safe out there sounds like a megaphone when you try and open it? Does it not occur to the manufacturers that you might want to keep the fact you are reaching for your gun quiet? :aargh4:
Anyways I have a 4 year old at home and don't want to keep my pistol out, but still want to keep it close, accessable, and loaded. I will keep it by my bed, but have no where close to have it stashed away so a pistol safe is a great option.
So I suppose my question is what has everyone else done? Do you own a pistol safe and just let it be loud? Are there any out there that open easily (without a key) but are quiet? Has anyone tried to modify theirs by removing the speaker? Would you just hide it somewhere or use somthing different?
The floor is now open. Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
65 Posts
GunVault pistol safes

For the same reason, little ones in the house, I own one Gunvault double and have it downstairs for carry storage. It's convenient and not loud, especially if you catch the door springing open with your thumb.

I just ordered another GunVault mini, for my nightstand, so I don't have to remember to lock up my Sig p6 w/ new night sights each morning. That way it's secure, and always available. Looking forward to it's arrival!

================================
Sig p6, Sig p232, Keltec p3at

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Yep, I have the same problem with mine. I have not disconnected the speakers b/c I feel they give me good feedback on whether I am hitting the buttons correctly. I have wondered if you could somehow muffle the speaker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gunvault deluxe

I have the gunvault deluxe. You can program it to mute the tones and the only noise will the the latch spring when it opens.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Amazon.com: HOMAK HS10036684 Electronic Access Pistol Boby, 10-Inch by 5.5-Inch by 7.5-Inch: Office Products

I have three kids 2, 4 and 10 so I was in your position not all that long ago. I was looking for a good, cost effective way to keep my carry gun in my bedroom when I wasn't wearing it. I didn't want to have to constantly go from the bedroom down to the basement where my gun safe is, every time I wanted to leave the house. I purchased one of these off amazon and I have been quite pleased with it. It has small green and red lights but no sound whatsoever. It wouldn't keep a determined burglar away from the contents, assuming they had some time and a tool or two, but it works well to keep the kids away from my CC gun when I don't have it on me.

They appear to run out of these frequently on Amazon, but when they have them they are under $36 and have free slow boat shipping too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the feedback, I will definately check into the gunvault delux and the Homak. Glad to see there are a few good options. Thanks again for your help.
-Dusty

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dad kept a 1911 in the night stand beside his bed (MAG FULL NOTHING IN THE CHAMBER) while i was growing up. By the time i was old/strong enough to chamber a round i had been tought/seen what a gun could do. i have a 3 yr old that loves to push buttons and wont have a round in the chamber even in a safe.teach him technique and respect with firearms early and make sure he/she knows the differance between any toys and real guns.btw imho toys should look like toys not the real thing.sorry for getting a little off topic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been putting tootsie rolls on the trigger of my exposed firearm, you mean that's not safe gun handling?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have two gun vaults and they allow you to turn of any sounds. :king:

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts
My gun safes are in a back closet...the little beeps are heard by no one...not a problem.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use Honeywell. They only cost about $25 at Big Lots, and they work well.

Here it is at Amazon for $34.99.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the V-Line Top Draw;mounted it to a built-in shelf in our bedroom walk-in closet.No keys to lose or batteries to replace.I recommend it,but it is a little pricey($150).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts