Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My primary hobby is cars and they eat up most of my money. For me, guns are not an "enthusiasm". Its more just a habit that started as a kid. Uncle Sam at least paid the tab for several of those years. Over the past 30 years I have acquired quite a few arms and shoot them all.
My current budget for ammo averages $200+ a month. I estimate that I shoot somewhere around 12,000 rounds a year. My wife brings this up occasionally, to make whatever her latest point may be.
The question is, how does this compare to the average shooters?

*What would you say is your average monthly budget for ammunition, for at least the past 5 years or more?*

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
all depends, some months I haven't spent a dime, and others I've spent a fortune. A few months ago I spent like $320 in .45 ammo and went and blasted it all up in 1 weekend.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Right now, I wish I had some ammo. All I have is my mags of SD stuff. I'm in a little tight spot for the next 60 days then it's home free.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Varies a lot. I am a packrat and that covers ammo too.

I buy when cash allows and tend to hoard a lot. So - right now - probably 3,000 to 4,000 9mm - some are +P SD stuff. Lots of 7.62x39 most of time. Boxes and boxes of .22 - and enough reload gear to start WWIII! :icon16: Fair bit of .45acp too.

My shooting is sporadic right now so - hard to lay a budget - and like Bud mentions, if you reload it's hard to judge easily.

Hmmm - well if we go fwd to when IDPA gets going and I am at range more often, let's say I am in to $100/mth minimum. I went to a wholesale place a few days ago and spent $100 plus just getting some primers - I tend to forget that quickly!

I also forget those ''odd'' boxes of WWB I buy on a whim when at Wally World :icon16:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
More than some less than others!

I shoot about 3 -5 thousdand rounds per year, an ammo budget is not needed, if I want to shoot then I shoot but never exceed 5 thousand rounds it seems. So some where in the $500 to $750 range.

At 5,000 rounds per year let's say for argument I was able to spend a total time equaled to 6months out of the year shooting, that would equal about 4 full mags being shot every other day of the year! I'm good with that.

Ti

·
Registered
523 Posts
About $1200 per year. That is split between .45, 9mm, and .38 spl. My wife mainly uses 9, and .38.

I have only been shooting for the last year. I don't see my ammo consumption being less in the future.

This year will be up about $500 because I will be attending Gunsite in Oct.

·
Registered
402 Posts
jarhead79 said:
Right now, I wish I had some ammo.
please dont wait until disaster strikes to stock up. i remember watching folks scramble to buy ammunition during katrina. i maintain roughly 5000 rounds (combined) at my home, and "much more" in my survival cache on my rural property. ive recently increased the size of both my on-hand cache and my survival cache due to recent world events.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Since I also reload a lot, on my Dillon XL650, and my RCBS Rockchucker for the accurate rifle stuff it's hard to say. Suffice to say however that I shoot approx. 5 to 6 hundred 45ACP a month. More if I'm shooting matches.

As far as what is onhand, stockpiled, I have approx. 15,000 22LR HP, 2,000 45ACP, 2,000 9mm, 1,000 .357, 2,000 .223, 1,000 .308, 500 7mm Mag and 500 12 Gauge. And brass, bullets, primers and powder to load many thousands more. (Except for the shotgun. Never reloaded the plastic stuff).

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
20.00 a month.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Monthly it varies a lot due to available time and physical condition...like you say Chris, I've got a screwed back as well and sometimes I can't stand at the line and shoot...not that I couldn't draw and shoot if I had to, mind you!

This past month all I've spent was $50 for 2 boxes of 10mm Black Talon at a gun show...but that was just because I didn't have any and it's getting harder to find.

I can easily shoot $100-$200 in 10mm at one session, so I tend to buy it in bulk.

Last year I'd guess I spent around $3000 for shooting and stockpile.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
IDPA: $40 per month

Instruction: Student picks up all range and ammo fees.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts