Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GLOCK 26 that I'll be carrying when I get my CHL. I've been researching JHP rounds for carry duty. I currently shoot WWB 115 FMJs at the range and find that 124 JHPs be just as accurate. By that I mean its sighted in for 115s and the 124s hit in the same place. The 147s impact in a different place.

As far as brands I currently have is Fed Hydrashoks, Rem Gold Sabers and Hornady TAP. I've tested the Hydrashoks and the Rems. Hydras expanded well, Rems didn't. I'll test the Hornadys next time along with any other JHPs that I might feel compelled to test. I've heard good things about Corbon aswell.

I would like for you to give me suggestions on brands, grain weights, velocities. I don't know too much about the effects of weight and velocity and how the help in incapacitation of BGs.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I haven't but I've heard good things about them aswell. I plan to do a more thorough test later on. But I guess and premium JHP will work well enough. Getting shot is getting shot, you won't find me volunteering to get shot by anything.

·
Super Moderator
24,246 Posts
I don't think I have as much experience as you, or know as much about all of the variables, but I carry Speer Gold Dots - GDHP's 115 gr.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not really all that knowledgeable. I'm kind'uv dumb as far as ballistics is concerned. But I'm always willing to learn. Can anyone tell me about the advantages/disadvantages in 90/115/124 grain JHPs. I'm not really interested in 147s.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have a good number of Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ that are wonderful. I need to find a new source as my local source has run out and doesn't plan to get any more of it. They bought it all from a sheriff's office that switched to something else.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I carry 124 +p gold dots in my Kahr PM9 based great track record and performance in my gun. That said, Corbon DPX has been getting stellar reviews.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Truth be told, I mostly worry about what seems to group best out of my particular gun. I think they're all going to be almost the same in actual use.

I'm more worried about the accuracy aspect than I am bullet design, etc.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
124 GD's +P here too - well in fact +P in 226 but std pressure in R9.

I posted this pic earlier in another thread but this performance plus quite low flash, keeps me sticking to this round. The bullet design is IMO excellent. Here we have MV of not much over 1,000 fps and yet deformation is still well evident - tho admittedly no denim barrier. Approx ME of 280 ft lbs.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Your expansion test may also be a factor to consider. I think a wet pack is the easiest for the average joe. Wet about 10-15 inches of newspaper and drain the water off. Set it up and shoot it. Good expansion, caught bullet.

Water works too, so I hear, but it takes a little more setup to actually catch only one bullet, then you have to start over. I caught about 6 bullets in one wet pack. I could have done more, but didn't want to waste any more ammo.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I also use the Speer standard velocity 124 grain Gold Dot JHPs in my 9mm's....I'm considering carrying Winchester Ranger-T +P JHPs at some point because of all of the positive feedback I hear about their 124 and 127 grain loads.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I usally carry speer gold dots in 124+p and sometimes 124+p golden sabres. I prefer something in the 124 range. I feel that gives decent velocity penetration and expansion. Just my 2 pennys worth. Im going to try hornadys TAP-FPD as soon as I can I hear good reports with that load. Hey Chris thx for the pics those gold dots looked pretty impressive out of that little R9 Good luck with your choice. And as always test your choice before actual carrying Sixgun.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Generally; "Silver Tips" for everything; never had a single problem...

(erh)

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
CorBon 115gr +P+

·
Registered
103 Posts
Primary: Winchester Silvertips: 115gr JHP.

Secondary: Federal 9BP round, 115gr JHP

Both absolutely reliable in my BHP, good write ups from various sides of the effectivness argument (Mourgue Mosters vs Jello Junkies)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Yeah, the milk jug test does take quite a while to set up and even longer to procure the materials. I'll try the wet pack test. Do you let the newspaper completely dry out or is it still supposed to be wet but not dripping?

Apperently I have a lot of JHPs to test on the wet pack! Hornady 124 TAP, Speer Gold Dots, Corbon 115 +P or +P+, Winchester Ranger 124s, Fed Hydrashok 124, Fed Classic 115. Maybe some PowerBall. I'll look into some others and add them later.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
I am in the process of switching the ammo in everything I use as a carry piece to Gold Dots as loaded by Double Tap

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php

Check out the posted velocities and the expansion results in ballistic gelatin.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts