Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could come up with 24 companies that make the 1911 off the top of my head. I wanted to do a poll, but the max was 12, so heres the list.
Colt
Rock River
Rock Island
Kimber
Springfield
S&W
Star
STI
Unertl Ordanance
Dan Wesson
Wilson
Sig
Ed Brown
Les Baer
Ted yost
Para
Liama
Detonics
Charles Daly
Griffon
Caspain
Clark
Norinco
High Standard

Whats your Favorite??
Mine is Colt, gotta love that prancing Pony :image035:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
For me it's equal.....Kimber for CC.........Colt for competition. Love em both. Oh hell,I'll go ahead and say it. I LOVE ALL 1911's. Hey Bruce,this was a trick question wasen't it ??????? -------

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Colt all the way!!!

·
Super Moderator
22,296 Posts
Bruce,

Are Yost-Bonitz and Jim Clark making guns now?
If you mean production guns, Colt, if you mean custom and semi-custom, Hilton Yam.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm not qaulified to answer because I've only owned two handguns:
an Ithaca which was nice enough until the sights fell off...THREE TIMES
(and I was told I was destroying a collectable gun by shooting it)

I traded that in for my Kimber - I prefer the Kimber because it works,
but the Kimber has no sense of history.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OD said:
Bruce,

Are Yost-Bonitz and Jim Clark making guns now?
If you mean production guns, Colt, if you mean custom and semi-custom, Hilton Yam.
Ted is still doing custom 1911's, not sure bout Jim
I just ment favorite as in if you could have any one.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Springfield 1911-A1 for now..:hand5:

·
Super Moderator
22,296 Posts
OK, I thought maybe you meant they were building their own guns like Brown, Wilson, Baer etc.
If I could have one built, it would be by Yam, even over L.A. Vickers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well, since I just bought a Kimber Pro Carry II, I better vote Kimber!
:yup:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Okay, I only have experience with one, the Kimber. I like it very much.

I have two guns, one a .45, the other a 9mm Largo that is made to look like a 1911 with the exception of the grip safety: Star Model Super and a Ballister Molina.

I am on the lookout for a Colt Sistema. I know that many Colt fans call it a basterdized Colt, but hey, it's a "Colt" that I can afford.

As for Colt..... well, they have gotten just too danged expensive. The one that I've been looking at, used, is $900. I just can't afford one (okay, so now everyone knows that I am poor). The Springfields are within my price range. I think that Colts are basically name driven for the most part but then again, that may just be a comment driven by the inability to afford one but I've heard just as good reports from lower end 1911's like the Kimber and the Springfields.

And with that, I will also comment two things: 1) Double stacked 1911's are an abomination, 2) 1911's with rail systems just don't look right.

As I change my attire to the flame suit, I await others opinions on the subject :biggrin:

Wayne

·
Administrator
144,227 Posts
Colt...like some others I can't spend the really BIG money on the Super Duper Ed Brown type Colts & still stay married. :biggrin2:

To me...absolutely nothing wrong with a nice factory Colt made by Colt.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Colt for me. No one else makes a basic 1911 that I can afford, and I like the history.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wayne said:
I think that Colts are basically name driven for the most part
When you buy a Colt I will guarentee you that you won't be disapointed. When I was still green I also thought that you just payed for the name, the I shelled out the $$ and bought a XSE Commander, all I can say is that gun will be buried with me when its my time. Your not just paying for the name, your paying for a made in the USA quality firearm.
I also agree the double stacks, and the ones with rails have no appeal to me either.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Bruces45 said:
I could come up with 24 companies that make the 1911 off the top of my head. I wanted to do a poll, but the max was 12, so heres the list.
Colt
Whoa! Stop right there...:image035:

I've owned or still own 5 different Colt 1911's. The only one I didn't love with all my heart was the Colt Defender...and I still liked it a lot :yup:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Favorite one I own-Kimber
Favorite one I want - Wilson Combat-Tactical Super Grade (maybe next year, I'm trying)

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
I like my SA, would own a Colt , but don't like their sales policies. (AR sales specifically)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts