Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went through my gun safe giving my guns a cleaning and an oil rub down, and I spent extra time with an old blued Springfield 1911 -A1. Nothing fancy about it, nothing extra added other then the ambi-safety us lefties need, but, dang, it is my favorite 1911. My carry gun is normally a S&W 1911, but this Springer 1911-A1 goes cross country skiing
with me, backpacks with me, kayaks with me, hikes with me, and for some reason it is my favorite handgun with my Beretta 92 in second place and my Ruger Vaquero in 3rd.

Even though it might not be your primary carry (which has to be a favorite, I would imagine), out of curiosity, what is your favorite handgun?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Hard to define an overall favorite. Probably the most used piece over the past several decades has been my Smith & Wesson Model 34 Kit Gun .22LR, every fishing trip, camping trip, hunting trip, dozens of meals (grouse, cottontails, snowshoe hares, ptarmigan, even a couple of trout in shallow streams). For daily carry a full-size 1911-type, currently (for the past 16 years or so) a Kimber Custom CDP .45ACP. Not far behind (and one of my all-time "must have" guns) is the Browning Hi Power 9mm pistol. For precision shooting my old S&W Model 19 .357 can't be beat.

Past couple of years I have been learning to love the Sig P229 .40S&W 12-round DA-SA-decocker. Plenty of punch in a compact package that carries easily.

Several others I enjoy enough to keep them ready and available for any possible needs.

·
Registered
20,046 Posts
Good ol M64. (Same as M10)

I don’t know why really, but they have always been the guns to shoot and use that bring me the most satisfaction.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Without a doubt, my favorite handgun is my Colt Python. I haven't carried it since the early 90's when I carried it as a sidearm while hunting down in the Waycross area of Georgia. But it is my favorite handgun for the memories of times Dad and I spent at the range. It represents those special times with Dad. Times when he taught me gun safety. Times when he taught me how to not flinch. Times spent cleaning the guns after the range trips. That time at the county police academy range when I was 13 and went through the same training as the county police. There are so many memories wrapped up in that one revolver. For those many reasons, it is far and above my favorite.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
Favorite is time dependent. Currently it is the Colt Defender 9mm that I carry.

But after a while I'll look through my safe, and rediscover, say, the Hi Power or the Colt Combat Elite, and take it to the range. When I'm shooting it, I'll think "Why haven't I taken this out more often? This gun is great!"

I don't know. I guess a guy can be a player and when he rediscovers an old girlfriend in his stable he'll wonder why he hasn't called her for a while when they are out again. My life was never that complicated, and thus my infidelities are limited to guns.

·
Registered
41,286 Posts
Even though I no longer have it, a .41 Magnum Blackhawk. Hated the .357 model, loved the .41 Mag. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
8,117 Posts
The answer to that has varied widely over the years, as have both my health and strength. Several years ago it was definitely my G17, Gen2, followed very closely by my S&W Model 10-5 4" pencil barrel revolver and my S&W 686 2 3/4" snubbie. Now my favorite gun is my Browning 1911-22.

With the exception of the 686, none of the above has been a carry gun for me, but that was not the OP's question.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
19,545 Posts
Love my Colt 1911s, SAA revolvers, and my Python revolvers, but there is just something special to me about my 8" Anaconda .44 magnum.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts