Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
What is YOUR favorite gun? Why?

The answer to this question has changed over the years. When I started shooting back in the mid 80s, my favorite pistol was my Browning Hi-Power. Loved the gun, fit my hand perfectly, shot it good, worked perfectly for me. I chose the Hi-Power because the hero in a book series that I read carried one, so I had to have one. Turned out to be a great choice for me.

When I went into Law Enforcement, my agency issued SIG pistols. My favorite gun at the time was my P226 9mm or P220 .45, both served as my duty guns, these were the guns that I would depend on to protect myself and those that I was sworn to protect. At the end of my time in law enforcement, the SIG P239 9mm became my off-duty gun - I loved that gun. VERY reliable, fit my hand perfectly, and it was a shooter. Great gun, my all time favorite SIG.

In 2005, I switched to the Glock system, specifically the Glock 19. The story of why I switched is long, and I won't get into it here, but I did the switch. Since then the 19 has been my EDC gun (except for 2016 and 2017 when I played around with two different single column 9mms). I really like the Glock 19, I have had a few of them (15+ Gen 3s, 3 Gen 2s, and 10+ Gen 4s), different Gens, different colors, different features, etc...

A few years back I picked up a Gen 3 26 that had a custom grip reduction and stippling job. This gun really fits my hand perfectly, first and truly only Glock 26 that I have ever liked. I traded the gun away, but luckily 10 days later I was able to get it back. I think that I am going to be keeping this one.

In February 2020, I sold off my last couple of 19s and switched my EDC to the Shadow Systems MR918. I’ve posted on another thread the reasons why I think that the MR918 is a better choice for ME – again FOR ME, so I really won’t go into them here. I have two of them and can't see myself going back to the 19 after using these.

In addition to those listed, I have owned MANY other handguns over the years, but those have been my favorites.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Man, that's tough...

I really like my Sig p229 Legion SAO in 9mm. That thing is so smooth, and it makes me look like a much better shooter than I actually am.

But right there with it is a basic Sig p229 in .40 that I picked up on a whim because it was such a good deal. Just has plain three dot sights, no night sights or anything fancy. No short reset trigger. But man, I've really come to love and appreciate that gun, and carry it just about every day now.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Heresy, heresy, heresy!!! How can you possibly have a FAVORITE???

I hate unloved handguns sulking and whining in the sunken boat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is really hard to choose a favorite, but I'd guess I'd have to say "it" is the pair of Cobras my dad and I used to carry back in the mid-70s. Mine was the blued, Dad's was the nickel. My Python would be a close second, but it doesn't have the sentimental value of the Cobras. My favorite semi-auto would be my Les Baer UTC simply because I shoot it better than any other gun I own, including some more expensive 1911s.
View attachment 352229
View attachment 352230
Dang! I wish you wouldn't had posted your UTC. I was just trying to talk myself out of ordering a Custom Carry.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
This is my boy my EDC: HK 45c

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
Changed over the years. Mostly because my abilities and limitations have changed. Probably a tie between the Walther PPK and a Ruger 22/45 Lite. Both are fine pistols with lots of fun factor in their own right.

·
Registered
9,904 Posts
Sig 220 in 30 luger with normal button mag relese not the more comenn heel .. Low recoil easy to carry and fun to shoot .. And just so 80s cool

Reactions: Eric357 and Rexster

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I enjoy my 1911, and .44 mag revolvers, and have a special place in my heart and pocket for my old j frame. That said if I could only keep one hand gun It would probably be my G26. Its just too versatile and shoots like a "duty" size pistol. I've probably put more rounds through it than any other handgun I own.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
1) 627 PC
2) 627 Pro
3) 1911 9mm Taylor Arms, pretty much tricked out from the factory I just did a Trigger Job on it. Runs good and a blast to shoot no recoil at all!
4) 1911 45acp Springfield/Caspian Slide (this one started as a box stock 45acp, added a compensator, changed to 38 Super with a Compensator, added a Red Dot PDP3, added a better comp, stripped it back to a 45 acp with the Caspian Slide and last won a Bar-Sto Barrel for it). Did most of the work myself and even though it's 36 years old still runs great).
5) 1911 Caspian/Springfield Slide built it myself from the ground up as a .400 Cor-Bon, added a 45 ACP Barrel for versatility.
6) 2011 STI barrel fitted by Benny Hill, Trigger work by myself and a 10 week old kitten named Benny (decades ago) we did a sweet job on it. Alas the Benny left before his time due to a tumor on his heart. But I still think of that little black ball of fuzz asleep and purring on my shoulder every time I pull the trigger.
Competition guns tend to be my favorites as I actually shoot them a lot.
My EDC's are a S&W M&P 2.0 45 ACP w/thumb safety and a S&W 325 Thunder Ranch, carry a lot, shoot a little.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
My favorite gun might be one of my oldest guns, this Colt Gold Cup pre-70 model which was manufactured in 1968. I acquired this gun used back in the early 1990s and have shot it quite a bit at the range but never carried it. It has functioned perfectly and has a wonderful trigger feel - light and crisp. I taught my sons how to shoot with this gun. I now have a sentimental attachment to it.
ColtGCpre7020.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
Favorite handgun???

That's like asking "What's your favorite ball?" I've played football, baseball, softball, basketball, volleyball, golf, racquetball, squash, pool, soccer, pinball, and probably a dozen other sports or games using various balls. Which ball is my "favorite" depends on what I'm playing! Then there's my favorite 'ball' ammo: 45 ACP.

I've relied on a handgun for hunting, varmint control, snake control, target shooting, SD/EDC, HD, and just plain ol' fun plinking. I've probably got a favorite gun for each, plus a few "woods guns" that don't readily fall into any one category. There are also a few favorites due to their age, rarity, novelty, history, or aesthetics ("pretty guns").

If I absolutely had to pick one single "favorite" handgun, my head would probably explode like a Progressive who's been exposed to reason.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts