Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I pocket carry due to convenience, mostly. There, I said it! I've had two recent malfunctions due to limp-wristing while quick draw/shoot one-handed practice with my Ruger LCPII. It stills works great standing there with a proper two hand grip putting little holes in paper, but my confidence in the little pocket pistol is shaken. Real-life practice has proven it unreliable (maybe), and maybe is all it takes.
Sooo - went to the LGS and looked at a S&W 642 snub. Problem? No ammo for it, there or at any store locally, and not much of any online. Sheesh! Also, I tried the 642 in my pocket and it is a pretty tight fit besides being much wider/rounder than I'm used to. I'll get one when ammo becomes available, though.
For now -- I've switched to pocket carrying my trusty Shield 9 2.0 when I'm not carrying it IWB or "arming up" and carrying my Commander 45acp. The Shield fits in my pocket with a Sticky holster, is snug and way heavier than I like, prints some, but the Shield has never failed me once and I have complete confidence in it.
This is all I have to say about everything involved in the year 2020 so far ---
2020 fire.jpg

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
I just got Speer Gold Dots in .38 from Lucky Gunner. It arrived pretty quickly. You have to just look around. You may not get your favorite ammo, but there is good stuff out there that will do.

I've had a different issue with my S&W Bodyguard .380, but with the same outcome. Light strikes. I sent it in to Smith and they put in a new firing pin, but with the ranges still restricted, I haven't had a chance to check it out. I keep going back to my Ruger LCR .38 for pocket carry. Light, reliable, fires respectable rounds and I shoot it well.

I feel the need to test small autos out at the range when they are new, have been repaired or I want to use different ammo in them. I never feel that need with small revolvers. It is still a good idea, of course, but not necessary.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
@jmf552 , I'd need to get a bunch of .38sp. range ammo to get used to a .38 snub -- can't afford to go through lots of the expensive stuff learning a new gun. Cheap but decent range ammo is scarcer than hen's teeth right now.
It's a bad situation, that's for sure. But as you say, when life gives you lemons... I would do a lot of dry fire and draw practice and then go to the range just do some really good, focused drills with a limited number of rounds. You'll be good to go.

And there is the way my Dad taught me to shoot a wheelgun and taught me really well: Wax bullets.

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of dry fire won't hurt the 642 ? (or 442, the LGS has one of those as well)
My only other revolvers are older and larger stainless .357's.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Lots of dry fire won't hurt the 642 ? (or 442, the LGS has one of those as well)
My only other revolvers are older and larger stainless .357's.
Read the owner's manual. If it recommends against empty dry fire, buy some good snap caps and follow the directions. Most modern revolvers can be dry fired, with some notable exceptions. The older Smiths with hammer-mounted firing pins need snap caps.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I am not prone to limp wristing but with a less than ideal grip on the gun ( as may be the case in a struggle ), it is always a possibility. For that reason I am very partial to snubbie revolvers for SD. I don't pocket carry. I like waist band carry in a snug to the body OWB or IWB holster. Fast and reliable from almost any position.

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Sounds like you identified a potential problem and corrected the situation with equipment at hand. So, in other words, you missed an opportunity to get a new gun. :) I am kidding, of course, sir, any solution that doesn't cost money is a very good solution.

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

I've dry fired (with snap caps) my 442 10s of thousands of times. It only makes the trigger butter smooth and you very good with a snubby.

Another very good thing to do when you go to the range is to have 4 empty brass in the cylinder and one live round, spin the cylinder, close your eyes and when it stops, close it. Focus on keeping that front sight on your target and pull the trigger. After you have fired the live round, put another one in and repeat.

Makes your ammo last, and you'll get much, much better with your revolver.

Have you ever considered reloading? You can get a Lee Loader, and all you need is bullets, powder, primers, and brass. Very easy, cheap, and fun to boot. Lots of good videos on YouTube to see just how easy it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Have you considered a .22 Mag snub LCR or J frame? They are easy to shoot! I would agree that in a perfect world with the ammo shelves filled there are better choices...but right now at least in my area .22 WMR (.22 Mag) is plentiful at Walmart, Academy, Bass Pro, and LGS! .22 mag is much better than .22 LR and not that big a difference when compared to some .38 loads. I am currently thinking of adding a .22 mag LCR to my stable of choices even though I have several other .38/.357 platforms in my current stable. In this current climate I think that having multiple options in multiple calibers is a good plan! Just my .02 worth!

Reactions: forester58

·
Registered
228 Posts
I occasionally pocket carry a LCP Gen 2 and do not have an issue limp-wristing it in practice, ill keep trying though. :p

For clairity my LCP is a Gen 2 (from the original) not a LCP II.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Been there done that with 2 pocket 380's and the 642 is the only pocket gun I own now. Its near impossible to foul one up where it won't still fire all 5 rounds.

I had 1,000 rounds of Freedom Munitions FMJ when the COVID hit and quickly snagged 1,000 more of Serbian lead semi wadcutters and another thousand of Russian steel. All works great in all my 38 revolvers.
There is still quite a bit of more expensive carry ammo around but, keep checking Ammoseek and don't hesitate when some FMJ comes up.

Practice is rather critical to a new snub owner but, you may be surprised. My son tried mine and shot it as good as I do with some 27 years of carrying and shooting snub 38's. You may be a natural.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
I’ve had semi autos jam, including Glocks. I’ve had revolvers jam, due to bad ammo.

I always carry a backup gun.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
My LCP runs well enough but not my favorite. Seven years with my Sig P938 and that has been my pocket pistol ever since. Always wanted a 642 but I shoot the 938 very well and it is flatter and easier to carry.

Wouldn't mind the 22lr LCP also, although I don't know why exactly.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Actually, I really want the LCP 22lr. 11 rounds of 22 that I could shoot way faster than my .380 LCP and it weighs less loaded. I think it would be a nifty little pocket pistol. 32 ACP version would be sweet as well.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
the last few months pocket carry has not been on my mind much. I have added a couple of nice 12 gauge pump shot guns to the mix. I gave daughter my Remington 870 and just never replaced it. Last weekend I scored a couple of boxes of 00 buckshot 2 3/4 inch shells and tonight at Academy (luck of the draw) they had three five round boxes of 3" Magnum 00 and I added several boxes of no.4 shot, 3" heavy steel loads. Moving at 1500 fps, i would not want to be in their way.

There is a very dark wave on the horizon, and while I still pocket carry one of my small 9mm's.....the front yard cleaner 12 gauge pump seems to be more at the forefront of my thoughts these days along with every round of 5.56 mm I can find. We are a divided country like nothing in my life time. I fear the worst is yet to come.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've dry fired (with snap caps) my 442 10s of thousands of times. It only makes the trigger butter smooth and you very good with a snubby.

Another very good thing to do when you go to the range is to have 4 empty brass in the cylinder and one live round, spin the cylinder, close your eyes and when it stops, close it. Focus on keeping that front sight on your target and pull the trigger. After you have fired the live round, put another one in and repeat.

Makes your ammo last, and you'll get much, much better with your revolver.

Have you ever considered reloading? You can get a Lee Loader, and all you need is bullets, powder, primers, and brass. Very easy, cheap, and fun to boot. Lots of good videos on YouTube to see just how easy it is.
About how much is reloading .38 Special right now per round?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Went to BPS on Tuesday and the only handgun ammo on the shelf was 38 special.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts