Defensive Carry banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
As to .22 magnums, I've had the ear piercing and obnoxiously penetrating sound of those things burned into my memory at an indoor range. That was back in the mid to late 80's. I forget who was making those pistols back then but I knew for sure I didn't want one.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Search back a few months to G mans post on the Wizard drill. I have proven that there are ways to foul a j frame revolver.[ not that it wouldn't fire , but I did not get a proper grip and misses my shots!] I pocket carry the J frame almost exclusively.
When I first started shooting this gun I loaded 105 gr and 130 gr lead bullets at 650 fps or so.[ I was also having to learn to shoot left handed, My right was going into a sling for quite awhile.] That sped up my learning curve. full house loads tire out my hands quickly but I can shoot 150 or 200 of the light loads without feeling it the next day. My carry load is a 148 gr Wad Cutter at 800 fps. I haven't found anything that will beat it for accuracy.
I cast my own bullets so my reloads are 4.5 to 6 cents each, depending on cost of primers and powder.
If you buy ammo you can look for Cowboy action ammo to get the same effect.
Ammo or not if they have a gun available I'd snap it up now! There's no telling what will happen next! Good Luck, DR

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
About how much is reloading 38 special right now per round?

About 17 cents a round for semi wadcutters and 23 cents a round for Gold Dots.
I think I’m going to start reloading. My 686 is my favorite gun to shoot and new .357 and .38 aren’t cheap.

I watched some videos and none of them talked about cleaning the brass.

Reactions: dangerranger

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Search back a few months to G mans post on the Wizard drill. I have proven that there are ways to foul a j frame revolver.[ not that it wouldn't fire , but I did not get a proper grip and misses my shots!] I pocket carry the J frame almost exclusively.
When I first started shooting this gun I loaded 105 gr and 130 gr lead bullets at 650 fps or so.[ I was also having to learn to shoot left handed, My right was going into a sling for quite awhile.] That sped up my learning curve. full house loads tire out my hands quickly but I can shoot 150 or 200 of the light loads without feeling it the next day. My carry load is a 148 gr Wad Cutter at 800 fps. I haven't found anything that will beat it for accuracy.
I cast my own bullets so my reloads are 4.5 to 6 cents each, depending on cost of primers and powder.
If you buy ammo you can look for Cowboy action ammo to get the same effect.
Ammo or not if they have a gun available I'd snap it up now! There's no telling what will happen next! Good Luck, DR
Danger, yes, I was following G-Man's thread about the Wizard Drill at the time and have been practicing it. That's how I've gotten the limp-wrist jams w/ my LCPII -- doing the draw/one-handed shots.
Speaking of G-Man... haven't seen him around much since the new (and improved, yada-yada) format.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
I think I’m going to start reloading. My 686 is my favorite gun to shoot and new .357 and .38 aren’t cheap.

I watched some videos and none of them talked about cleaning the brass.
Once you get setup to load .357/38 spl you can load for about the same price as 9mm! using round numbers, if a box of 9mm is $15, and .357 is $30 you are saving $15 a box. if you are loading on a basic single stage Kit that coasts under $200, at 14 boxes of ammo your tools have paid for themselves!

Now brass cleaning is its own sport! You can wash your brass in Hot water and citric acid [Lemon juice] and get clean brass. But that does nothing to polish it. You can wet tumble it in stainless pins or chips and that gets it as clean as anything I have seen, but it leaves the brass with a matte finish. or you can dry tumble in ground walnut hulls and then another in corn cob to give them a bright polished finish. Or you can do all three for a super polished look. But the truth is once they are clean they all shoot the same! And some people load just fine without any cleaning at all.! It's all personal preference. DR

·
Registered
228 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Every now and again I think about getting another 380 then I read a thread like this and come back to my senses. My J frames never malfunction.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Who do you guys buy bullets, primers, and powder from?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts