Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
unless it is a bank, post office, school, courthouse etc....I go in anyway....

I just don't understand a lot of these threads i see on different forums when people see these signs and turn around and leave......

I understand the idea of not wanting to spend money at an "anti gun" establishment.....but if its a place where you are going to save money by shopping there, why not????

my handgun is concealed, and unless i remove my jacket and shirt no one is ever going to know im carrying.....

and as far as "breaking the law" goes.....sure if you go into one of the above-mentioned places its automatic arrest....but in a retail business, at least in my state, all the owner can do is ask you to leave.....which is what i would do if that ever happens.......and if you refuse can be hit with a trespass.......

for example, went to my local Gamestop yesterday....they had a sign that said, no weapons.....i walked right in, purchased my game and left....my weapon concealed....

I have no intention of showing anyone my gun unless my life is in danger......

maybe some people might see it as "wrong".....but i don't....

thoughts on this from everyone??????????

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
In TN it is a criminal offense and can cause the loss of your permit if discovered. Not worth the risk to me.

·
Super Moderator
17,724 Posts
In TN it is a criminal offense and can cause the loss of your permit if discovered. Not worth the risk to me.
North Carolina is the same way, rather than violate the law I will shop somewhere else even if it does cost a few dollars more.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
The best practice, and the only one I would recommend, is to be aware of state and federal laws, and carry wherever it is legal to do so.

Texas, for example, has very specific requirements for signs which prohibit concealed carry by license-holders in private businesses. If a sign doesn't meet the requirements, it has no force of law. Kentucky, obviously, has quite a different standard. It's essential to know and follow the laws wherever you happen to be.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
At the risk fo sounding like a jackaninny or a mall ninja, I AM the weapon. I have teeth, nails, elbows, feet, and a killer right hook. Yes, so is my gun, but I have a ram instrument on my keychain, too. WHAT, exactly, are they calling "weapon?"

If they say "no firearms" then they don't need my money, I will be happy to shop elsewhere. Saying "no weapons" is silly. Mine are kinda hard to remove, you know? ;)

·
Banned
314 Posts

I just don't understand a lot of these threads i see on different forums when people see these signs and turn around and leave......
SNIP
maybe some people might see it as "wrong".....but i don't....

thoughts on this from everyone??????????
To me, a state that outright bans you from entering a store with a firearm, such as my state, and a state that forces the owner to ask you to leave first if he notices you carrying, are two completely different things. I wouldn't hesitate to ignore a NO-CCW sign in your state, since it (seems to me) that it is legal to do so, but I would have no intention of messing around with any state that can yank my license just for entering a posted place of business...

-Bill :santaclaus:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Signage isn't legally binding in Louisiana. I enter and shop like nothing happened. Now, odds are I won't be coming back...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anything can be used as a weapon. A sharp pencil is a weapon, a t-shirt can be used as a weapon. Its just that some weapons take more skill to master (ex. t-shirt)

·
Registered
85 Posts
But ONLY if "substantially similar" to the state's sign requirements:

Pursuant to § 39-17-1359 , the owner/operator of this property has banned weapons on this property, or within this building or this portion of this building. Failure to comply with this prohibition is punishable as a criminal act under state law and may subject the violator to a fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500).
"No Guns" and similar signs may be safely considered as "no open carry" signs, risking to be asked to leave if you choose to do so.

·
Registered
103 Posts
In MO, if found with weapon you can or will be asked to leave. If you don't leave and if police are called, you are issued a $100 'ticket'. If police are called and you weren't asked to leave by the store, you 'could' be issued a ticket, but it won't hold up due to the legal ease of the law. Basically a 6 month 'probation'. If you get 3 of these, then you're done as far as your CCW goes. My CCW instructor explained this very carefully as he had it happen to him. Upon leaving said establishment, police were pulling up. They asked him if he was carrying and he said yes. The were going to issue the ticket and he reminded them he would see them in court as he was not asked to leave by management. LEO said, "you're right, have a nice day".

·
Registered
599 Posts
In MN, the signs are a notification of the store owner's desires. If you violate it and are asked to leave, and do so, no violation. If you stay after they notify you you are in violation, it's a $25 find for petty misdemeanor trespass. No impact on your permit.

So, I carry wherever, but I don't like to patronize businesses that don't want me to be able to defend myself.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I fully support a business’s right to ban weapons on their property. However, I have no intentions of finically supporting them. I will be more than happy to drive a little further and even pay a little more to support a business that will respect my rights as much as I do theirs.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Here is my observation. I will do this or that and to heck with them and their stinking laws or signs.

You know, I'm all in favor of our 2nd Amendment and myself and my better half own a few weapons and we believe in our right to CC and our right to defend ourselves with every fiber of our body.

I regress, back to your statement that you will go in irregardless of a sign or or because your concealed and they don't know it and some of the others who say all they can do is ask you to leave and no harm no foul in the basic sense of what I'm reading here.

Listen to yourself, what you do can and will sooner or later cause just as much harm to our movement to keep our guns, then some looney shooting someplace up. Because if you are caught or noticed, that individual will spread the word that we can't be trusted to obey the laws or wishes of those who don't like guns, so the antis will come after our guns with a fever and it's attitudes like your that will have given them the ammunition to do it, you say you were not seen, you say no one saw your weapon, that's cool partner, it only takes once and years and years of trying to win trust will be shot to heck in a hand basket.

I'm to old to start mincing words, say it and tell it like it is, either we learn or we will go down in the end and history has nothing to do with this, it's called common sense.

Think about it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In Texas where incorect signs have no legal bearing, I think stores put them up just to make sheeple feel better. If they really didn't want CCWs then they would use the legal sign.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
That is not necessarily true. There are several rules that the notice must meet in order to obligate you to the request legally.

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
But ONLY if "substantially similar" to the state's sign requirements:

"No Guns" and similar signs may be safely considered as "no open carry" signs, risking to be asked to leave if you choose to do so.
That is not necessarily true. There are several rules that the notice must meet in order to obligate you to the request legally.
A caution to all about Tennessee: we have an Attorney General's opinion that says what "substantially similar" may or may not be, but not a precedent established by a court. Until that happens, the AG's opinion may or may not amount to a hill of beans.

As for the OP, I just don't give business to a place that denies my right to carry there.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts

I understand the idea of not wanting to spend money at an "anti gun" establishment.....but if its a place where you are going to save money by shopping there, why not????

my handgun is concealed, and unless i remove my jacket and shirt no one is ever going to know im carrying.....

and as far as "breaking the law" goes.....sure if you go into one of the above-mentioned places its automatic arrest....but in a retail business, at least in my state, all the owner can do is ask you to leave.....which is what i would do if that ever happens.......and if you refuse can be hit with a trespass.......

Fools rush in

1 - 20 of 56 Posts