1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
“According to the Florida Highway Patrol, a bolt of lightning struck a motorcyclist's helmet while traveling southbound on Interstate 95 near mile marker 27.

This caused the driver to leave the roadway.“

Yeah, I’ll bet. Poor guy. I vastly prefer being surrounded by lots of metal when driving, but I never thought of this as a reason before.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Mrs OldChap has been hit by lightning...or more accurately the 1972 Chevy station wagon was hit. The bolt left a 2 inch diameter burned spot down to bare metal on the roof and exited the right rear steel belted radial tire. 1 in 999,999.

Actually, lightning annually kills a great many people. Sorry to hear of this tragic incident. I was sitting in my easy chair here when lightning struck a tree outside not 20 feet away. 1 in 999,998.

EDIT - This gives me an excellent reason to accuse Mrs OldChap of having a "fiery temper."

I should have added, she was inside the car at the time and was stopped by traffic on top of the levee along the Trinity River in Dallas. When we replaced the tire, I didn't tell the guys what had happened. there was a crowd gathered around in the work area - all scratching their heads. It was funny.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Besides being shot and blown up, part of my "Mr. Lucky" nickname comes from being struck by lightning. I was on a fishing trip, lightning hit a tree less than 6 feet away, and travelled sideways to me. It knocked my glass eye out of my head and left me briefly unconscious. When I came to, my fishing buddy was standing over me asking if I was OK? He says my hair was standing straight up. After a few minutes, we both were on our hands and knees searching in the leaves for my glass eye. We both burst out laughing.
That is a true story.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I don't care about riding in the rain. I am very wary of lightning. I've seen what electricity can do to a human being.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I guess I'm a "motorcycle weenie," but I never intentionally ride in the rain. I won't ride if rain is even predicted, much less a thunderstorm. I've been caught in the rain a few times and done fine, but when the drops start hitting my face shield, I start heading home, cautiously. I'm not giving anyone else advice here, nor am I looking for advice. I'm just sayin'...

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Never been hit by lighting, but there is a spot about 20 yards south of my house that gets hit regularly.
Over the years I've lost all sorts of electronics to the static field of a lighting strike.

The most recent was when it splattered my radio antenna all over the yard. We found pieces almost 100 yards away. Oh, it melted the coax cable along with the circuit board in the base station.

·
Registered
33,875 Posts
I became convinced we all have a "time to go" when a KC-135 crashed at Fairchild AFB, WA, while practicing for an airshow. One person on the ground was killed. That person was supposed to have been on the -135 but canceled out at the last moment. Got him anyway.

There have been numerous times during my life I probably should have been a goner, but I guess it just wasn't "my time." I had a bolt of lightning strike a streetlight pole yards away at Robins AF, GA. I felt the static build up a split second before BOOM!

Had someone timed me, I would have set a new world's record for the 50-yard dash into the building.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
From the NWS, interesting stats...

Odds of Becoming a Lightning Victim
(based on averages for 2009-2018)
Estimated U.S. population as of 2019

Average Number of Deaths Reported

Estimated number of Injuries

Odds of being struck in a given year (estimated total deaths + estimated injuries)

1/1,222,000

Odds of being struck in your lifetime (Est. 80 years)

1/15,300

Odds you will be affected by someone struck (10 people for every 1 struck)

1/1,530

Odds that you will be struck while riding your motorcycle

1/300,000,001

(Yes, I made up the last one )

Reactions: Redbert31

·
Registered
33,875 Posts
^^ And then there was the park ranger who was struck something like 5-6 times over the course of his career. I guess he was a little slow on the hints to change careers.

·
Registered
Various
15,483 Posts
Lightening hit a pine tree about twenty feet from me, split it in half, and caught it on fire while I was working. I called it in and state forestry came up to put the fire out.

When we lived in Southwest Florida, my wife and I were setting on our covered lanai one evening during a thunder storm. Lightening hit the power pole between our house and the neighbor's house blowing the transformer.

In both cases, the flash and noise were quite awesome.

·
Premium Member
7,117 Posts
Many years ago lightning hit something in/on our house, traveled through the wiring and came dancing out through the TV and across the carpet in the family room. One son was home at the time and said it was the weirdest thing he'd ever seen. He was unharmed. The TV was totally fried. We were one lucky, protected family that evening!

I think that might have been when we had an outside TV antenna on a metal tower right next to the house. Too long ago to remember for sure, though.

There was also one time when lightning flashed out through the phone receiver in the kitchen. It was not as dramatic, but scary anyway. Since then I have never used the phone during storms, even though we now have a cordless phone set for our land line.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Off subject a little...But i rode home from Sturgis at night in a thunderstorm...With no front fender because i didn't get it painted
in time....After about a 100 mi of it.... The motel i stopped at never looked better...I have never been as scared riding as i was that night.
Moral of the story....Never ride without a front fender unless you enjoy being repeatedly slapped in the face by water.:smile:

·
Super Moderator
16,097 Posts
Many years ago lightning struck a pine tree across the road from my house, lit the house up like the sun and the boom was instantaneous and shook the whole house.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I took a lot of photos of storms and sometimes caught lightning strikes while I was out volunteering to chase tornadoes for the National Weather Service. Close strikes always eluded my camera. When I got close enough for lightning, I laid the camera down and just kept an eye on the storm. Here is one shot in a million from a night I was pretty far away. For you photogs, this was taken with a Nikon FE, f 1:4 50mm Nikon lens, and Kodachrome 25. I was just sitting there with the shutter open when I caught this.

10257754095_da410bfb71_o.jpg

1 - 20 of 50 Posts