Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
my cap guns as a kid didn't have orange tips, but they never shot green stick'ems!...I want one!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Now that is a cool toy. Of course such things are not PC these days.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Yes, I played with many cap guns during the early 1950s. I don't recall much of an issue with even bringing them to school. Maybe, some teachers objected to the use of caps which actually put out a few sparks, but otherwise I don't believe they were contraband.

I know for sure that when I was in maybe 4th-6th grade we did not get in trouble for playing with knives. They probably were discouraged, but I recall playing with throwing knives in a vacant lot across the street from my public school during recess. Yes, we were not supposed to be there, but the teachers seemed to prefer to have us there playing with our knives than being bored stiff in the concrete paved play yard the school had.

This btw took place in what was then still a fairly decent area in The Bronx, that is, in NYC.

I still have a set of bone handled knives and a leather holster for them, one with about a 5-6 inch length and one about 3 inches, which were given to me as a present when I was about 11. I think they went with me to all my Boy Scout camping trips.

Play fighting, "cowboys and indians" "cops and robbers" was permitted so long as it didn't get out of hand. I seem to remember that water guns were prohibited, but that had to do with the mess they produced or could produce.

Our children now grow up in a sterile world, shielded from the accidents of rough play, but exposed to pictures which would have gotten someone arrested --or certainly shamed-- in the days before Playboy, Playgirl, and similar inventions of a slightly more recent time.

·
Super Moderator
18,131 Posts
We use to play mumbly-peg as school during recess all the time.

One time a friend of mine got gigged right on top of the foot. The little pocket knife cut right through his Converse tennis shoe and stuck. He pulled it out and started crying, I think it scared him more than it hurt him.

We were in the 5th grade. He ran over to the teacher and told her what happened, she told him that he should have moved his foot and sent him to the school nurse. She cleaned it, slapped a band aid on it and that was that.

Man...how things have changed.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I have this one with the belt. It was my moms. She nearly shot her moms eye out with it, IIRC. When you release the derringer out of the belt it shoots a small projectile I think. At least that's granny's story.

Mattel Remington Derringer Belt Buckle

That is one cool toy gun. I had a set of nice steel cap guns with turquoise grips and a matching rifle that was mom's too. Probably broke all of it, can't remember. I'm sure granny has it stashed away somewhere.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
That was neat.

Heck, now a days, that gets a kid sent to the Principles office, child protective services is sent in if not Juvenile Officers and and the kid is put on drugs for being gun happy and the parents are kid are sent to a child Psychologist to find out the childs deepest darkest secrets of why they wanted to play with a gun.

Sorry, got carried away there.:wink:

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Yeah man,
We ran around the WHOLE block, 6-8 or so boys with toy rifles, pistols, cap guns or otherwise, playing BG/Good guys, 2 or 3 times a week in the late 60's, and no one called the cops, no one thought we were hoodlums, (7-10yr olds),
what a messed up world we live in today

Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Man, what a memory JOLT. I had the Deringer belt buckle with belt & added to that the double 6 shooter cap revolvers with holster. Mine did not have the projectile caps, but did have the casings to stick the round adhesive paper caps to. Does anyone remember from the mid 60's the "Johnny Seven OMA"?

I have no clue what "OMA" designates, but what a gun (toy) 7 guns in one, can't even remember 'em all. Grenade launcher, tommy gun, dart gun, shot white plastic bullets, trigger grip detached as a hand gun, etc. what a "commando kid's" masterpiece. I even took mine to 5th grade show-n-tell ... I know the girls were bored stiff, but never a problem from the school's standpoint, boys commonly brought items from their proud arsenal to show off.

http://www.retro.net/db/images/Johnny_Seven,_O.M.A./8883/

·
Registered
657 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Some times I wish we could go back to those times when every one wasn't so paranoid. A lot the kids today are on drugs along with there parents.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Hey that looked like Opie Taylor, or Will Robinson, I can't remember which.:smile:

Go running down the street with one of those now and there's a good chance someone's gonna freak out and call the law on ya.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I has one of these as a kid. For one bright, shining monent I was actually cool.

·
Registered
473 Posts
That was neat.

Heck, now a days, that gets a kid sent to the Principles office, child protective services is sent in if not Juvenile Officers and and the kid is put on drugs for being gun happy and the parents are kid are sent to a child Psychologist to find out the childs deepest darkest secrets of why they wanted to play with a gun.

Sorry, got carried away there.:wink:
Unfortunately you're not far off.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Very cool. Brings back memories. I had a similiar one, with blued frame and wood looking plastic grips. It too came with a holster (black) and used the same green stick on caps and plastic spring bullets. Very nice to remember that. Thanks ExactlyMyPoint.

·
Super Moderator
25,589 Posts
The "Fanner 50" (sp?), I had one and it was a great gun. It was my favorite, both the pistol and the carry rig.

Looking on Ebay a couple years ago, I wish I still had mine. :yup:

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Anybody remember the thompson machine gun? It had a wind up handle on the side and would go through a roll of caps in about 15 seconds. Not THAT was fun!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yep, as memory serves, the Mattel Fanner 50 sold for about $5 back in the day (complete with leather gunbelt). I just remember that 'cause I used to get that much for a birthday present at age 7 or so and that was what I'd buy...

Wasn't the thompson tied in with the TV show "Combat" (w/Vic Morrow as sarge)?

Nick

1 - 20 of 49 Posts