Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a scenario that I haven't thought about until today. A chick at work hit my car and without insurance, she got the bill for the damage. She threatened (said, she will take it to the street) if I don't tell my insurance to stop harassing her. Her fault she hit my car. She said she can look me up and find me. Sure enough, a quick google showed my address on whitepages.com.

What would you do if someone who has threatened you approached you in public?

·
Super Moderator
18,045 Posts
Inform law enforcement?
Record her saying this stuff next time?
Same, Same here and if she wants to escalate it then file a restraining order, start a paper trail and if she or her cohorts wants to try anything you have proof of a threat.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Make an official record of the threats. Before recording. make sure that the uninformed recording of a person is legal, and would be admissible in your state. I doubt that this rises to anything beyond harassment. In the event that you end up using some force of some kind, a record would go along way to indicate that you tried to handle the situation through the legal system.

·
Registered
400 Posts
You work with her? How about telling your employer so the piece of trash can be fired for threatening you? No need for that nonsense. Put her back on food stamps.
This^^^

You work with her? After you report the credible threat to your local police, you should definitely notify your company's HR dept that you've filed a police report against the coworker due to credible threats she made due to an accident she caused ON COMPANY PROPERTY. The parking lot at work is company property. I'm assuming she also made these threats on COMPANY PROPERTY. Let them know this.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Same, Same here and if she wants to escalate it then file a restraining order, start a paper trail and if she or her cohorts wants to try anything you have proof of a threat.
You work with her? How about telling your employer so the piece of trash can be fired for threatening you? No need for that nonsense. Put her back on food stamps.
...and while informing these copy your insurance company.

Reactions: 9MMare

·
Registered
506 Posts
This^^^

You work with her? After you report the credible threat to your local police, you should definitely notify your company's HR dept that you've filed a police report against the coworker due to credible threats she made due to an accident she caused ON COMPANY PROPERTY. The parking lot at work is company property. I'm assuming she also made these threats on COMPANY PROPERTY. Let them know this.
DITTO on this.....she wants your life miserable, then give her back her own dose of Karma....:)

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
I would do as suggested, inform:
  • LE
  • employer
  • insurance co.
I'd also let my neighbors know, so they can watch for anything unusual (I tend to worry about my animals).

At work I would avoid this person if possible and definitely try not to be alone with her. Not out of fear, but to avoid confrontation and any dishonest claims from her.

In general I would go in the opposite direction if I saw her outside of work, like parking lot, store, etc. Most especially if you are carrying. By no means do you want anything to escalate into a confrontation that could lead to (legitimate) need for lethal force...it is not worth the hours and dollars from your life.

Good luck to you. I hope it blows over quickly.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Banned
894 Posts
Record everything you can. Time, date, witnesses, location, what was said. She was breaking the law by driving without insurance. Your boss is required to give you a drama free work place. If she bothers you at work, report to HR and your boss, and to the police .
It's serious at the first threat, in this crazy world.

Note: you can look her up also, on the police report for the accident.

·
Registered
11,618 Posts
As a former HR professional, I agree with all the above:
  1. Document all conversations you have had with her, right now
  2. File a police report, They won't do anything, but it's on record. Don't go to HR first, they will try to talk you out of going to the police.
  3. Make a harassment report to HR, letting them know a police report is on file and that you intend to file for a restraining order (even if you don't actually do so). HR has to be kicked in the backside to do something, but this will force their hand.
  4. You might consider actually filing for a restraining order. They are BS and you might not get one, but make sure she will knows you've filed for one.
  5. Have your lawyer send her a letter outlining all the steps that have been taken and let her know that if she make further threats and/or does not pay off your insurance company immediately, further legal action will be taken.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
  2. File a police report, They won't do anything, but it's on record. Don't go to HR first, they will try to talk you out of going to the police.
  3. Make a harassment report to HR, letting them know a police report is on file and that you intend to file for a restraining order (even if you don't actually do so). HR has to be kicked in the backside to do something, but this will force their hand.
  4. You might consider actually filing for a restraining order. They are BS and you might not get one, but make sure she will knows you've filed for one.
  5. Have your lawyer send her a letter outlining all the steps that have been taken and let her know that if she make further threats and/or does not pay off your insurance company immediately, further legal action will be taken.
If the threat was made on company property, HR is the go to for actual relief.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I'd me more concerned about why a "chick" will feel safe to threaten me than any of the rest.

Reactions: OldVet

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I shrug my shoulders and hand her my lawyer's...business card. :yup:

Reactions: 9MMare

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
I agree about the restraining order but if things ever went to court, it could be evidence that she truly feared for her safety.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I agree about the restraining order but if things ever went to court, it could be evidence that she truly feared for her safety.
:blink: How could the OP filing a restraining order be evidence that the object OF the restraining order was fearful for...her OWN safety?

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
:blink: How could the OP filing a restraining order be evidence that the object OF the restraining order was fearful for...her OWN safety?
I dont understand your question. The OP would go to her/his HR rep, and be advised to go to police to have a restraining order assigned because she/he, the OP, had been threatened and feared for her/his life.

The logging of such a request, even if the RO wasnt approved, would be evidence that the OP had a reasonable belief that his/her safety was at risk.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts