Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked-up a H&K VP9 & VP9sk. My local shop had a used like new VP40 with N/S, so I decided to buy one of those too (might as well have one of each). I haven't shot the .40 yet, so I don't know how it will compare to the 9mm's.

I have a few guns in .40 S&W, and have 20+ years of shooting and carrying the caliber. I don't mind the snappier recoil of the .40 at all. And still carry my G23 on occasion, as it has the smoothest action/trigger of all my Glocks (and the most rounds).

But it got me thinking about the VP9 vs. VP40. In what scenario would I carry the .40 over a 9mm? Maybe as a trail gun with 180 or 200 gr. HC?

Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
With quality SD ammo in either caliber, I’d say carry the one you shoot the best IMHO.....nothing else really matters.....YMMV...

Trail gun.....I’d likely go with the 40.....SD, 9mm all the way “for me”....again...YMMV.....

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
The only reason I would choose a 9mm over anything else is for cost of ammo, or economy of size vs caliber.

If I could own only one, it sure as heck would not be a 9mm. I like the 40 and 45.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I'd stockpile a couple hundred rounds of 40 in case there is ever a shortage on 9mm as there was a few years ago. That way you always got something can shoot/carry/practice with.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Choose the 40 cal in cooler weather when people are wearing heavier or layered clothing.

I have the VP40 and the G23, and also have them both chambered for 357 Sig. It has fast become my favorite round.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Either one to me. Shot placement will still be key over calibre. I have 9mm and 45 handguns. The only reason I never bought a 40 (almost did) was I just didn't need another calibre. I think both shoot well. As others have said, the 9mm is cheaper to shoot these days.

Reactions: Risasi

·
Premium Member
33,904 Posts
The only reason I would choose a 9mm over anything else is for cost of ammo, or economy of size vs caliber.

If I could own only one, it sure as heck would not be a 9mm. I like the 40 and 45.
I haven't carried one of my several nines in quite awhile. The .45s get all the holster time now.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
When to carry 40 rather than 9mm?
Whenever you would prefer making slightly bigger holes in the threat.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
.40 is MUCH better when shooting through barriers come into play! Just my .02 worth!

·
Super Moderator
18,337 Posts
If one feels the .40 S&W cartridge has attributes that make it especially worthwhile for trail gun use then those attributes would translate to general purpose daily carry.

I like the .40 S&W.

·
Premium Member
33,904 Posts
I recently picked-up a H&K VP9 & VP9sk. My local shop had a used like new VP40 with N/S, so I decided to buy one of those too (might as well have one of each). I haven't shot the .40 yet, so I don't know how it will compare to the 9mm's.

I have a few guns in .40 S&W, and have 20+ years of shooting and carrying the caliber. I don't mind the snappier recoil of the .40 at all. And still carry my G23 on occasion, as it has the smoothest action/trigger of all my Glocks (and the most rounds).

But it got me thinking about the VP9 vs. VP40. In what scenario would I carry the .40 over a 9mm? Maybe as a trail gun with 180 or 200 gr. HC?

Your thoughts?
Are you recoil sensitive?
Do you miss the target frequently?
Do you find it important to burn through lots of rounds between mag changes?

If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, the nine is probably the gun to carry.

Reactions: mannyaguilar

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
In what scenario would I carry the .40 over a 9mm? Maybe as a trail gun with 180 or 200 gr. HC?

Your thoughts?
Well, if it was me (and it isn't) I just wouldn't give it much consideration. Either caliber works. Whichever you feel more comfortable with.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Criteria 1: Reliability
Criteria 2: Accuracy in your hands
Criteria 3: You'll actually carry it
Done.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I have liked the .40S&W since it was introduced in 1990 and over the years since then have owned a number of them. I still own quite a few and several live in my primary carry stable. I don't find this caliber to be a hard recoiling round in the Glock 23, the Smith and Wesson M&P 40, or the M&P 40c. In fact, it is rather comfortable in those guns. With the federal 165 grain HST or the Speer 165 grain JHP "hot load" (#53970), this cartridge is a formidable SD load.

About three or four years ago, I bought a Glock 30s, which is a compact .45ACP carry gun. I did my usual Glock trigger mods and installed Ameriglo sights on it. I couldn't shoot the thing worth a damn. It was just not the gun for me. So I sold it and bought a Smith and Wesson M&P40c, installed the Apex Tactical DCAEK, but kept the stock trigger spring in it do reduce trigger pull weight, and have never looked back. It is one of my primary carry guns and is not only very comfortable to shoot but accurate and solidly dependable. Plus it carries two more rounds and with the above mentioned ammo, is no slouch against the .45ACP round.

When to carry a .40S&W over a 9mm? As was mentioned previously, in the colder months when people tend to wear heavier clothes, the .40 may have an advantage. The .40S&W is more powerful than is the 9mm so there is that. But also as was mentioned previously, one should carry what works best for them and which they can deliver rounds to target accurately, confidently, and consistently.

Reactions: 5lima30ret
1 - 20 of 203 Posts