Defensive Carry banner

101 - 120 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I've been wearing my P365 for several months now, an easier to conceal handgun I've never had. I'm not enamored with 9mm but it beats a sharp stick. I've not seen a 40 which approaches the concealability of the P365, certainly not one that'll hold 10+1.
Mine's stoked with Underwood Xtreme Defender 90 gr. +p. Yeah, yeah, poo-poo the 90 gr weight but I've not heard or read any complaints of underpenetration by that little pill launching at 1475 fps and they say it does quite well on barriers. Of course, the weather cooled down rather drastically today, 78 F. yesterday, sitting at 19 F now and around 5" of snow today which means I need to dig out my heavier clothes and the G29.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I like light and fast, but I just don’t know enough about those.

One role I really like my 365 for is yard work. I wear it OWB, light and if it gets scratched or whatever I don’t care. I think the chamber is tight. Any +P ish loads that are fine in my 228 or CZ come out of the 365 with scary flat primers, so std pressure only in that thing.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I've been wearing my P365 for several months now, an easier to conceal handgun I've never had. I'm not enamored with 9mm but it beats a sharp stick. I've not seen a 40 which approaches the concealability of the P365, certainly not one that'll hold 10+1.
Mine's stoked with Underwood Xtreme Defender 90 gr. +p. Yeah, yeah, poo-poo the 90 gr weight but I've not heard or read any complaints of underpenetration by that little pill launching at 1475 fps and they say it does quite well on barriers. Of course, the weather cooled down rather drastically today, 78 F. yesterday, sitting at 19 F now and around 5" of snow today which means I need to dig out my heavier clothes and the G29.
Im glad it works for ya.

But if I were going to go down to a gun of that size that is really too big to be a true pocket pistol that I still wore on the belt, I’d rather have something like the Kahr 40 S&W, which is very close in size, firing the potent 155-165 weight bullets.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Im glad it works for ya.

But if I were going to go down to a gun of that size that is really too big to be a true pocket pistol that I still wore on the belt, I’d rather have something like the Kahr 40 S&W, which is very close in size, firing the potent 155-165 weight bullets.
No, it’s just like you carrying your G26, no? But I guess I agree as my 45 Shield fits the bill too.
Did I mention that the 45 is better than all of them?

·
Super Moderator
21,933 Posts
(they do not have a non+P super 38 to compare)?
The +P designation was given to the Super .38 in 1974, to distinguish it from its parent case, the .38 ACP. There really isn't a +P load. The Super .38 is dimensionally the same as the .38 ACP

·
Registered
12 Posts
I worked as a crime scene investigator and then as a deputy coroner for a number of years. Probably witnessed at least 50 autopsies. The 40 is definitely more powerful than the 9mm. The .40 180 grn gold dot is impressive.I saw two people killed with the miniature.25. Both shot in the chest at close range. The most important thing is bullet placement. Carry what you can shoot accurately. I was issued a Glock 27 .40 while a CSI. I hated it because of the harsh recoil. When I worked as a deputy coroner I carried Walther CCP in 9mm and loved it. Still do.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
It’s fun when those that don’t want something bash it. I agree there are no magic pills in handgun cartridges.
A 125 XTP @1450 is still a 125 @1450 weather its out of a 357 Sig or 357 magnum.
9mm doesn’t do that, and if you find a load that does, let me know kuz I don’t want to be around when you light off.

I hand load so the only additional cost over 9mm is only a little powder.
Now the Sig will never be like a 125 screaming out of the Highway Patrolman and that’s ok with me. That isn’t what it is supposed to be. But there is a lot of overlap. It’s a good cartridge.

I am still trying to justify a 10mm...oh wait someone said that just a 40 that only over penetrates...hahahahaha
Fine, I still want one.

In my 40 I like the 135 and 155 for the speed. A 155 @ 1250 seems a lot like a 158 @1250 out of a 357mag. If I want heavier, I have three 45s to choose from, like the one on my hip now.
It’s all good. I am ok with .380 too, it has its place in my pocket.
9mm is for my 365, but it doesn’t fit in my pocket. The real pleasure for me with 9mm is shooting my 228 or CZ.
I think the 50GI round is the magic pill in semi auto rounds, but I don't think I could afford to shoot it!

Get you a 10mm. Lots of fun to shoot and an effective round, but make sure you shoot the hot stuff. Smile inducing for sure.

I picked up 2 CZs in the last 3 weeks, and I have to agree that 9mm is fun out of those guns. It's also not bad in the 365 which I have for occasional pocket carry. I switched over to the 365 from an airweight S&W 360 .357 for that role.

I never warmed up to the .40. Shooting the M&P40c and Kahr CW40 i had several years ago just didn't do it for me. Stepping up to 45acp for carry, however, did.

The 365 sees use when I have no other options due to attire requirement, activity involved in, etc. Otherwise, the 45acp is my choice due to performance and ease of shooting. Much more enjoyable than .40, IMO.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Im glad it works for ya.

I bought the Kahr PM40 and MK40 for this exact reason. Hornady Critical Defense 165gr or nasty rounds. I carry the PM40 more since it is so much lighter than the MK40.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
10mm is .40 adding overpenetration. This is especially true that bullet manufacturers design their 10mm bullets around .40 S&W velocities. I've seen tests with 10mm rounds where the bullets expand past their maximum diameter fold back to the smaller diameter, then overpenetrate. This isn't good. 10mm sounds good in theory, but in really it doesn't bring much, if anything more to the table than .40, at least in the current available loads, and it isn't popular enough in the LE community for the ammo companies to design bullets around it. Also pushes gun size up.

.45: better penetration/expansion than .40, but has a big impact on gun size and mag capacity. Also, the ammo is designed around 5" barrel guns. Most carry guns now have 3-4" barrels. If you want to strap on a full size 1911, it's a great round. But in general, guns that chamber it are not very size efficient, and have mag capacity issues.
10mm overpenetrate generalization is incorrect.
Underwood 180 Gold Dot penetrated 17 3/4'' (falls inside the 18'' desired range)

Before two more examples of 10mm did not overpenetrate, in the land of "Not Optimal" magazines are limited to 10 rounds amiright. Glock 30s, 30SF 45 acp.

Reactions: Bad Bob and G-man*

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
10mm 135 Nosler = underpenetration

Reactions: Bad Bob and G-man*

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
10mm 175 Silvertip, generalization mythbuster #3

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I bought the Kahr PM40 and MK40 for this exact reason. Hornady Critical Defense 165gr or nasty rounds. I carry the PM40 more since it is so much lighter than the MK40.

How does the PM40 perform, with respect to reliability?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes but look what it did to the bullet. That's not good performance.

I'd rather carry this:

10mm overpenetrate generalization is incorrect.
Underwood 180 Gold Dot penetrated 17 3/4'' (falls inside the 18'' desired range)

Before two more examples of 10mm did not overpenetrate, in the land of "Not Optimal" magazines are limited to 10 rounds amiright. Glock 30s, 30SF 45 acp.

101 - 120 of 203 Posts